Oil Press won't make Vegetable Oil

So I've set up an Oil Press and have an Olive Forester who has planted plenty of olive trees and chopped a few down. I've finally managed to collect some of the olives into the Oil Press before my Bannies stole all the olives for themselves and now the Oil Press has a decent supply of olives (265 as seen here) however it says that the "materials required to perform work are not available" even though olives are the only required item listed to make vegetable oil. Is there some other hidden item required (barrels/jars/other receptacle maybe) that isn't shown in the Oil Press UI? It does have [++] next to it, and I have no idea what that means. I have someone assigned to the building, work is enabled, "VegOil [Olives][++]" is selected, the resource cap hasn't been reached (although what kind of resource IS vegetable oil? Food? Material? Luxury?), and there's a storehouse nearby. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of? Any help is appreciated.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_10/BrokenOilPress.JPG.afa8988f78fde697b115915bd9023be3.JPG" data-fileid="2822">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_10/BrokenOilPress.thumb.JPG.a430ca7f62f414bee8e28858136e750d.JPG[/img]</a>

Also, please refrain from commenting on anything else you can see that I'm doing wrong. I've never had a town over 100 people and I'm mostly just messing around with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> since I haven't played Banished in quite a while. I don't know how a lot of stuff works or optimal ways to do things, so I just kind of do whatever and figure things out as I go.

You need 275 olives to make Vegetable Oil. You've almost got that. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Thanks for the reply. Well that certainly would explain it, though it seems like a lot just for one run. Wouldn't it make more sense to require less per production and make proportionally less at a time? Like instead of 275 for X (haven't had a chance to play again yet and find out how many it produces) it would require 55 to make X/5.

It would be my guess that everything in the game boils down to weights and values.  These have to be consistent across ALL of the various products and resources.  To institute a proportional system like you are referring to is an absolute nightmare to code, far worse than any possible added benefit.  Even if someone wanted to try and do such a thing, the background computations required would absolutely chew up CPU cycles and grind the game to a halt, making it impossible to build a large town.

We're working doing some fine tuning of the production numbers.  In the next iteration, the current numbers may get changed. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
5 hours ago, CaptVader said:

It would be my guess that everything in the game boils down to weights and values.  These have to be consistent across ALL of the various products and resources.  To institute a proportional system like you are referring to is an absolute nightmare to code, far worse than any possible added benefit.  Even if someone wanted to try and do such a thing, the background computations required would absolutely chew up CPU cycles and grind the game to a halt, making it impossible to build a large town.

I'm not suggesting a proportional system that lets you control production scale. I'm saying 275 seems too high and 55 or so would be a better value for a single cycle. Just a straight up change from one to the other.

Quote:
2 hours ago, Kralyerg said:

We're working doing some fine tuning of the production numbers.  In the next iteration, the current numbers may get changed. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Cool. I'll keep an eye on that.