Trading post as a Market = Custom Market stock?

Greetings,

I've read some post asking about how the different markets work. In fact i had some issues trying to get my logistics work as i expected.

So an idea came to my mind; It could be possible to make a copy of a trading post (like the storage that have a merchant assigned) but let the citizens to collect goods from there and assign it a radius like a market does?

This would make markets so customizable. Players would be able to set up what quantities/types of food/goods to storage and also prevent to stock the food that one wants to keep to process (like flour).

I used the search button but could not find a similar suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid that's not possible. The Markets can't be made to "lock" some items or a certain amount of stuff. On the other hand there is no way to tweak the Trade Posts to allow anyone other than the people employed at the building to move stuff out of them. I believe it's been tried before (that's what led to the creation of the Resource Depot, it's basically a Trade Post on land with all Trade Boats disabled).

If you want to keep some food to process further, your best bet is to look into Karlyerg's Kave for his collection of Inedible Food mods.

hmm, sounds like you'd like to see something like a distribution barn made into a market...

i suspect trading posts cannot be modded into markets, although if i'm wrong maybe a modder can say. but if i guessed, i'd say they likely can't be separated from the trader boat functionality.

but maybe distribution barns already do what you want?

they stock only what you tell them to, and if "opened" would be a source for their area. radius or not, i think the townsfolk would go to whatever source is closest. i think it's more about pathing than radius.

i also have struggled with markets. i hate it when a general market stocks resources that finished homes cannot use: ores, inedibles, raw fibers (as opposed to finished clothes) not only because i think these items are useless to their neighborhoods, but mostly because they remove inputs from the areas i so carefully set up to make production efficient. 

i put grain silos close to my oat fields, which are near mills and bakeries. i put stone, iron and mineral stockpiles adjacent to mines and quarries, which are near blacksmiths and forges. i put wood, fuel and construction stockpiles at the edge of the forester's radius, which are adjacent to woodcutters and sawmills. i put root cellars adjacent to the gatherer's radius, and near orchards and fruit/veg fields. i put meat lockers adjacent to the hunter's radius and near pastures and animal pens. 

i make a pretty considerable effort to lay out work and production areas for the maximum efficiency allowed by the map. i do NOT want that effort stymied by annoying market workers who stock neighborhood markets with items that are unusable by finished homes, and "stolen" out of my efficient production areas...

these days i skip most markets, and cluster neighborhoods in between production "districts" and make sure my paths are very well planned and finished in brick. everyone seems to have plenty of inventory in their homes. nothing seems out of balance, and inedibles and raw resources stay where they're needed for production.

i may put a firewood stand in a neighborhood, if it is very far from the forester and woodcutter, or even less frequently, a fruit/veg stand, but again, only if the neighborhood is really far from a root cellar.

they don't seem to miss their big markets at all.  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Thanks for your fast replies!

I'm afraid you're correct guys. Also, many thanks for your tips, some of them are new to me! 

I'll try the non edible mod and the distribution barn for sure [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Also couldn't explained the logistics better than you did there BuildHappy! 

I tried to tweak the resourcere/template/tradingpost.RSC adding some market code. (Trial and error, don't think i have any knowledge on modding ^.^ ) And despite it works as a market too, where citizens can take stuff from, it generates a conflict:

- The mechant there works fine, picking stuff from other places to fill the desired trading post levels, and taking out what exceeds the desired stock. Problem is when there's already some stock in trading post, the merchant tries to keep refilling it with the trading's post current stock. making an infinite loop. If some one has the solution for that would be great... but I guess that the part that should be moddified is "harcoded" *sniff* 

(Just in case cause my english is horrible, i'll put an example: Merchant goes somewhere to pick 45 wood, drops it into the tradin post, and the next step to keep refilling the trading post is not to go somewhere to pick the wood, but it takes the wood directly from the trading post to drop it again... the loop only breaks if the worker goes to home for eating and has wood at a shorter distance than the trading post)

In any case, thanks for the tips! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />