Game slowing

I took a break from Banished. Came back and updated to Banished 1.0.7 and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.75 to have the newest running immediately noticed an improvement in load time etc (yay). I don't play super often but I did start to notice that my games were frequently running slow (particularly after a decade or so) considering all the improvements. After a while I think I have identified that the trees on my maps are becoming super crowded and none ever seem to die off and that seems to be what is causing the lags. On my most recent map I decided I needed to open the debug menu and use "no cost" so that I could just clear trees all over the map to thin things out...and it did help.

Are the trees supposed to live forever? I thought that was only orchard trees. And is there a way for me to have them die out so that I don't have to strip trees away to keep my game running smoothly?

Quote:
1 hour ago, endymionshepherd said:

... After a while I think I have identified that the trees on my maps are becoming super crowded and none ever seem to die off and that seems to be what is causing the lags. 

Are the trees supposed to live forever? I thought that was only orchard trees. And is there a way for me to have them die out so that I don't have to strip trees away to keep my game running smoothly?

No, the trees shouldn't live forever. Which type of map, map size, climate, and starting condition are you using?  Are you using any other mods?  If so, what are they? Are all types of trees living forever or just a few (what are they - for example: pine, maple, etc.)

Trees sometimes fall down, but they live pretty long and with the way the natural re-seeding works, unless you go on mad tree-cutting sprees, you end up with having more and more trees as time goes on. The exception to that would be narrow strips of land and top of mountains, where the re-seeding is super limited so older trees die without having produced by 3 or 4 new ones during their life.

For people like mself who likes leaving as many trees alive in towns, it can cause quite a mess especially if your computer is not super powerful. If you enjoy clear-cutting wide areas to have lots of fields, you delay the moment the game slows down by quite a lot.

i would try changing graphic or shadow settings. you then could add the original NAT DIV mod.that will add thatch meadows and be less trees.the updated version is nice but will cause slow downs.the original did not. if the settings doesn't help, i would look at what mods you may be using.you can use task manager and manually close down programs so the computer has more RAM to use for the game also.

I always play with all shadows off because they cause too much lag.

I can only really give answers for the map I'm currently doing because I'm an inconsistent player and I really don't remember how far back I've had issues or what all maps.

Red Desert, Medium, Nuevo arbol lite - medium, warm arid. I always play with Journey, light rain, better rain sounds, and debug menu. I'd say it seems like all the trees but since they seem to grow in patches it can be a bit deceiving. Seems like one time I started with bamboo and felt like it was crowding, but that was long enough ago that I couldn't say anything useful.

Since the answer to my question is ultimately "no", I will try to note observations so I can see about providing further feedback.

Thanks