Dock Towns possibilities?

So I recently kept on trying to make a functional settlement on a lake using the dock theme buildings and no matter what I did as soon as I moved them away from the land starvation set in.

I had multiple Dock Fisheries and Dredgers however it still wasn't enough. They didn't even have enough time to build the rice and chicken farms by the time they started starving. If anyone has done this before I would love some input on what methods you used to do this as bayou is said to be Easy.

Also other things I noticed was that there is a lack of storage for materials such as Stone, Iron and other Materials.

Another thing I noticed (sorry if this is part of the dock workshop) is that I saw no way for them to make Rope or Clothing and so I fear that they will freeze to death and also not be able to upgrade their houses into residencies. I plan on making a fully functional settlement completely separated from the land and able to produce all the goods they would require by themselves. Obviously some things would only be acquirable by trading.

The Bayou start is one of my favorite Easy starts.  I choose a map with a lake not far from the start with a nice large river running through it (I want all the lakes connected to water if possible. The initial food supplied includes Rice and Eggs instead of the usual Potatoes.  That means you should build a Rice Planter before everyone eats the Rice. 

The Dock Workshop is one of the key pieces to the Dock Set - it is under the Docks and Buildings > Storage, Industry & Food tab. It can make Rough Tools from Logs and Iron Ore, Survival Clothing from Reeds and Feathers (that's why you have Eggs - to build a Dock Chicken Breeder, and Chickens or Leghorns in this start), and Firebundles or Rope from Reeds. (Note that Rope is not cost effective to build so don't waste your Reeds on more Rope than you need).  You will eventually want to build several of these.

I think it is rather impossible to only build on water. There are just some professions not duplicated in the Dock Set. Note that Stone and Iron aren't used for Dock pieces, so they will need to be stored in a land-based stockpile.

When I start the game, I pause it as soon as the game appears. Your 1st goal is to secure food. (Keep in mind that you don't need to ever starve - you can have your laborers gather food using the Collect Wild Foods tool found under Removal & Destruction Tools.)  I place all of the UI windows, adjust the Limits and assign all 12 adults to be builders. Then I place initial builds and put all of them on pause:

• Rice Planter touching the shore of large river or lake - be sure the builders can get back on land when it is finished 

• Crop Field for veggies or fruit - 8x18 if using Very Mild climate. Note only needs 1 farmer. Clearing this field is a major source of the logs and stone needed for initial builds. Be sure to up the # of builders to 3
    ! The crop field needs to be built before the end of spring or it won't get planted. If you need more resources, clear another crop field or orchard - you don't have to staff them.

• Wood Chopper next to stockpile - cheap to build but provides enough firewood for start

• Forest NodeGatherer (2 workers to start) - it is still the best food source when starting because it provides fruit and veggies all year long. Forester (2 workers to start). Small barn and small Stockpile

• Protein source - a Duck Blind is a good choice since it will also give you feathers and it provides over 1000 food/year. You don't need a Hunting Lodge but it could be your protein source (never assign more than 2 workers).  You could do a fishing dock if you have a great place. I think it takes too long to lay out all the dock pieces needed to build the one with the dock set.

• Pasture for chickens (minimum size of 7 x 9 which holds 10)

• School last. I think the dock school is too small so I build a regular school.  I also like having a few kids become laborers before this is built

I leave the game on pause and unpause enough builds for the 12 builders. I delete any roads I layed out for placing buildings - no reason to waste time up front building roads. I prioritize the Rice Planter and Crop Field. Then I up the speed to 5X and watch the building frenzy.  As soon as something is finished I pause the game (spacebar) and assign workers and unpause another building to be built.

The next builds are a Reed Farm and a Workshop so you can make tools and clothing. I also build a couple of houses out in the forest node as soon as there is a need for more homes.) You'll eventually need an Herbalist. This can be put in your forest node or you can use the Herb Grower and Herb Tender in the Dock Set. Then you can seriously start building your dock city.

Hope this helps.

A masterfully wonderful plan, you have found the right balance to establish a very strong basis for a lake town. Its sometimes difficult to adapt strategies to different conditions. <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> is very balanced when it comes to starting conditions, you are given exactly what you need, the trick is to understand why you get the resources you have, it usually suggest a development plan.

When you have established the basics you can add a few other mods like Kid's House Boat:  here, and then DS Jetty and Bridge : here, and the mods by Necora found on our site: here, (I haven't use those by Necora, but they are worth looking at). They add interesting and useful buildings, and a visual variety that may interest you.

You might also like Kid's birch bark canoe:  here, you have to look at reply #7 of the topic for a link to the file, totally decorative, but still nice to have in a lake town.

Finally you might like Kid's fish farm: here, its land based but could fit nicely on a small island, and to unify water features Red's canal set is wonderfully well done: here, there are 3 files to choose from, read the discriptions carefully to get the right one.

I must admit it is one of the more challenging types of settlement, but it can be a lot of fun, and you can create a very interesting town.

Always willing to help.

It can certainly be done but there are several requirements that cannot be built over water. There are no over-water hospitals, graveyards/cemetaries, nomad buildings, boarding houses or townhalls available in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and as you have discovered there is no way to make some items without land-based infrastructure (e.g. rope, clothing, certain food types, candles).

Personally, I use a mix of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, Necora's Maritimes set and Discrepancy's Jetty and Bridge set and his Stone Bridge set so that I can get more resource & storage buildings (and some variety in housing). <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> just does not have enough over-water buildings to cover all the needs of a town but to be completely fair, none of the other mods do either. Using a mix of them covers some of those areas where a particular mod is lacking.

Necora's Maritimes sets can be found in the download section on this site and Discrepancy has a lot of mods on World of Banished. The two specific mods I mentioned can be found here:-

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?act...w;down=188

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?act...w;down=385

It might be worth your while to read the following threads because they covered the same idea: -

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/topic/1407-sustainable-village-on-water/&do=embed"></iframe><iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/topic/1419-request-for-more-over-water-buildings/&do=embed"></iframe>

Quote:
2 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

It can certainly be done but there are several requirements that cannot be built over water. There are no over-water hospitals, graveyards/cemetaries, nomad buildings, boarding houses or townhalls available in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and as you have discovered there is no way to make some items without land-based infrastructure (e.g. rope, clothing, certain food types, candles).

Don't forget that Rope and Clothing can be made at the Dock Workshop using Reeds from the Dock Reed Farm and for Clothing adding Feathers from the Dock Chicken Breeder. Candles can be purchased from a Trader (and you only need those if you are mining on land). You really don't need cemeteries (I usually just build a small "founders cemetery" in the beginning of most games. You also don't have to have Nomads - some people never accept them.  You can produce 3 of the 4 food types using Dock pieces - only Fruit is missing. You can use Herbs to help keep your population healthy without fruit and can trade for it.  (When you first start out, I would still use a Gatherer or even a crop field with fruit.)

I think Discrepancy's dock pieces go really well with the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> ones; but I've never tried Necora's.  I would get used to <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>'s 1st then add those mods.  

Ah I forgot the dock workshop can do rope. I've never needed the rope early in a game so by the time I do need it, I'm building the ropery on land

One can play some truly interesting games and visually pleasing layouts with a mix and match of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> docks, DS bridges and jetty, and Necora's Maritimes. Here is a small fishermen village of mine.

[Image: Docks01.jpg]

[Image: Docks02.jpg]