Must destroy roads to upgrade them ?

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken but in Banished vanilla I don't recall I had to destroy dirt roads to upgrade them to stone. When playing MM8, DS roads will not upgrade unless I destroy the vanilla dirt road underneath. Is this a normal feature ?

It depends on which road you're upgrading to and from.  Each road has a number assigned to it and lower numbered roads can be built directly on top of the higher numbered roads, but not the other way around.  (And 2 roads cannot share the exact same number. Bad things happen then.)

Here's a list of the road numbers I made for an earlier version of <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>. (v6 I think) But it should give you an idea, even if it's not exactly 100% accurate.

So if you have a high numbered road already built, you can build a lower number on top of it.  But if you already have a low number built, you cannot build a higher number without removing the old road first.  That's just the way the game was made.

And before you ask, no, I'm not going to go through and renumber all of the roads to fit a specific idea of how they should be ordered.  I left all of them how they came from the original modders.

<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> ROADS

Red Brick Road    4

Brick Road    5

Quay Road    6

Moss Road    9

Stone Road    10

Sandstone    11

Gravel Road    12

Soil Road    14

Country Road    19

Dirt Road    20

COLOR ROAD MOD

White Road    22

Black Road    23

Brown Road    24

Purple Road    25

Blue Road    26

Green Road    27

Yellow Road    28

Orange Road    29

Red Road    30

GRASSY ROAD MOD

Gravel Road    38

Sandy Road    39

Sand Road    40

Desert Road    41

Plantation Road    42

Pasture Road    43

Crop Road    44

Swamp Road    45

Marsh Road    46

Verdant Road    47

Grass Road 3    48

Grass Road 2    49

Grass Road    50

Transparent    51

DS ROADS MOD

Wood Roads

110-115

Stone Roads

120-139

Gravel Roads

150-154

Wood Chip Roads

160-161

Dirt Roads

170-177

Grass Roads

190-192

Garden Patch Road    

End of Roads Mod

Dirt Road

900-914

Stone Roads

930-944

Earth Roads

960-974

haha with all those numbers.... it is hard to find free numbers if you dont have a such list ^^

lucky i am, i added 3 new during the week... i took : 64, 65, and 66 as numbers hehe

Hey Red you are lucky, or is some quality trick. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

@Kralyerg : Thank you very much for your explanation and the numbers attached to each modded roads, this is priceless!

It's a shame vanilla dirt road takes precedence on all modded roads but I understand this something that can't be changed. Your detailed explanation will be of great help for my next games, I've learned my lesson not to ever build a vanilla road again in a modded game. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Quote:
2 hours ago, VXL said:

It's a shame vanilla dirt road takes precedence on all modded roads but I understand this something that can't be changed. 

that can be changed. in my mod, RK Editor Choice mod, the dirt road is 999th and the stone road 998th. so every other personal road made by people have precedence.