Where does food go?
That one house attracting people is a sign that there's something going wrong with pathing calculations. It being flagged as "closest home" when it's really not is like people going to the edge of the map to refill a bucket of water during a fire. It'd seem you got one of the rare maps with a pathing issue somewhere. There's not much ou can do other than destroying the house and checking that you have several bridges across all rivers/streams for more pathing options. And make sure each bridge has at least a square of road on each side, so you never have something growing right there to block pathing.
Only oher option would be to restart on a new map...

Manually making everyone a laborer and reassigning jobs won't do much. Jobs get re-shifted several times per season anyway. What you can do is help the game assign everyone in time before it has to start recalculating everything again: at high pop, avoid running the game at high speeds. Remember to regularly save, exit and relaunch the game. That helps to clear out old cached stuff and forces the game to refresh all pathing/jobs calculations. It's a good idea to remember to restart the game entirely every couple of hours, or a bit more often if you feel that things are not going "as they should".

There's nothing wrong with having lots of laborers. Gives the game more options when assigning jobs because you'll have people available basically everywhere. As long as you're still producing enough food/tools/clothing, you can have as many people just randomly carrying stuff around and not doing much.

I don't really have a ratio for adults/students/children either. I rarely have enough houses for everyone in the first couple of years. People can live homeless for a bit, as long as there's at least 1 house to warm at during the winter. Once food production is good enough, I'll get my houses/families ratio around 1/1 for a while, but after that drop to roughly 3/4 once I feel that I have enough people (aka all jobs filled and enough laborers to replace them if a wave of deaths happens).

Messages In This Thread
Where does food go? - by Apothicus - 01-21-2021, 08:08 PM
RE: Where does food go? - by Vrayna - 01-22-2021, 12:39 AM
RE: Where does food go? - by Apothicus - 01-22-2021, 03:19 AM
RE: Where does food go? - by Vrayna - 01-22-2021, 04:00 PM
RE: Where does food go? - by Apothicus - 01-23-2021, 11:46 PM
RE: Where does food go? - by Vrayna - 01-24-2021, 01:54 AM
RE: Where does food go? - by Apothicus - 01-24-2021, 04:29 AM
RE: Where does food go? - by Vrayna - 01-24-2021, 05:42 AM
RE: Where does food go? - by Apothicus - 01-30-2021, 02:58 PM
RE: Where does food go? - by stiles - 01-30-2021, 06:27 PM
RE: Where does food go? - by Sabouma - 04-30-2021, 02:35 PM