Very large maps with lakes

Yea, I know <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> has stated that she won't post more of her game problems in this thread, but <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>, I thought you were saying others had the problem too.

Are you saying this problem is unique to rejectedegg?  I found a few others reporting this error, but not on these forums.

I'm not getting feedback, so I cannot properly diagnose the problem.  It looks like <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a> has already done a lot of research on this error, which means I'm spinning my wheels (especially with no real feedback pointing me in the right direction).

Basically, I'm new to the game, so I'm playing catch up, whereas you guys have been playing for years.  Should I even continue with my Video Settings Guide?

Quote:
9 minutes ago, Trasd said:

Yea, I know <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> has stated that she won't post more of her game problems in this thread, but <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>, I thought you were saying others had the problem too.

Are you saying this problem is unique to rejectedegg?  I found a few others reporting this error, but not on these forums.

I'm not getting feedback, so I cannot properly diagnose the problem.  It looks like <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a> has already done a lot of research on this error, which means I'm spinning my wheels (especially with no real feedback pointing me in the right direction).

Basically, I'm new to the game, so I'm playing catch up, whereas you guys have been playing for years.  Should I even continue with my Video Settings Guide?

I think it is still worth doing your video settings guide unless you feel it is just replicating what's in another guide. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> has some real-life problems to deal with at the moment so she's not likely to be online a lot and thus won't be able to give you any feedback for the moment (and this is also part of her not posting anything extra in this thread). While the Fatal Access Violation error has happened to a number of people who were playing Banished over the years, as far as I can tell no single fix that worked for everyone, has ever been found and different people quite often have to try completely different approaches to get their game running again.

The number of Fatal Access Violations did drop quite a lot after the game was updated and specifically when people started using the Beta "Modders" version. However it does still occur and often because of simple little things that are not immediately obvious. For example, sometimes a mod will not completely download and is smaller than its proper file size although the download agent assesses the download as successful - this actually happened to me yesterday when trying to download Necora's Maritimes mod, i had to use the alternate link to get the proper sized file. If someone tries to run the game and activate a mod that isn't complete because of bad download, the game will crash and often with the Fatal Access Violation. That issue is not something that I have seen mentioned very much in trouble shooting guides however I have an internet connection that randomly decides to screw up based on who-knows-what so I do suffer this problem with certain websites.

Having said all that, as far as I can tell <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> is having a unique problem. Her's is the only account I have read where the access violation occurs only when she tries to run a Large map (or the Very Large map supplied by Colonial Charter). The problem does not occur on Medium or Small maps. She runs the same mod configuration without problems on the smaller maps yet when she tries it on a Large map, sooner or later it will crash due to the access violation problem. 

Other than that I can't offer any more help, I don't know anything more that hasn't already been added to the forums here [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" /> Until she is able to regularly get online again, we will have to wait for any extra details from her. I know that that isn't particularly satisfying when you're trying to diagnose the problem so the only thing I can suggest is pursuing the video settings guide if you still feel it's worthwhile (I personally think it is worthwhile, a few different guides and even guides for the same problem but written from someone else's perspective can be very useful).

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>, thanks, that was a straight forward, very informative answer!

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think I can fix this for her (even considering my bad start), or at least, help determine the problem but, it won't be a quick fix.  Especially, if her problem is unique.  She will have to work closely with me though, and it might take quite awhile (as we've both said, not happening to our games makes it hard to diagnose).  I've been doing this for more years than I care to remember (my first computer was in 1979, before the PC was released).  I will approach her again after she returns.

I know she loves the game and I enjoy these challenges.  In the meantime, I will continue with the guide.

Thanks.

Quote:
2 hours ago, Trasd said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>, thanks, that was a straight forward, very informative answer!

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think I can fix this for her (even considering my bad start), or at least, help determine the problem but, it won't be a quick fix.  Especially, if her problem is unique.  She will have to work closely with me though, and it might take quite awhile (as we've both said, not happening to our games makes it hard to diagnose).  I've been doing this for more years than I care to remember (my first computer was in 1979, before the PC was released).  I will approach her again after she returns.

I know she loves the game and I enjoy these challenges.  In the meantime, I will continue with the guide.

Thanks.

And this is exactly what makes the Banished community so enjoyable to be a part of, I've lurked on a few of the Banished fan sites and I'm always impressed with how helpful members try to be. Compared to other game forums where the usual response to someone asking for help is to tell them where the "search" function is found, the Banished community actually seems to want other Banished players to have a good time with the game.

It's really community minded compared to the individually minded (i.e. selfish) members for a lot of other games I've played. I suspect it's due to the nature of people who enjoy the "longer term" & less-action oriented game genres such as city-building, puzzle-solving etc. etc.

Found this one while out hunting: 

Parameters: <-- Click

Map seed: 1357

Terrain:  [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Lake Waters

Size:  [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>]Very Large

Climate: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Marine

Conditions: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Appalachian Forest - Adam&Eve

Quote:
On 12/20/2016 at 11:56 AM, Castinar said:

Found this one while out hunting: 

Parameters: <-- Click

Map seed: 1357

Terrain:  [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Lake Waters

Size:  [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>]Very Large

Climate: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Marine

Conditions: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Appalachian Forest - Adam&Eve

Once I can get back to my gaming computer I'll have to check out this map seed! 

Another very large map with lakes, found this when trying the random seed selection.

Map seed: 455034084

Terrain: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Lake Waters

Size: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Very Large

Again, the bottom of the yellow box indicates the starting position for the map.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/58980d1b340e1_MapSeed455034084.jpg.40963ab16d430f82b61f09d50640b3e7.jpg[/img]

I have to say I am thoroughly enamoured of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>'s Very Large maps as well as the Lake Waters terrain and I every so often I randomly generate a new seed to see what sort of map I can get. This latest one is interesting although still suffers a little from the typical Banished "round lake" syndrome. As always. the bottom of the yellow box is the start location for the map.

Note the town name, as posted in the Ridiculous Names thread, I hope my port is not worth a flood [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> 

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/index.php?/topic/772-ridiculous-names/&do=embed"></iframe>

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/589d364b8bfa3_Badtownname.jpg.d3ceec972b4c8b98eed15dee82cc2511.jpg[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/589d36669c41a_MapSeed18763202.jpg.754c40c08fe31f1a63cde1f6a4b87873.jpg[/img]

Another interesting map from letting the random seed generator do its thing.

Map Seed: 480080418

Map Type: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Lake Waters

Terrain Size: [<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Very Large

Bottom of the yellow box indicates starting position.

A curious aspect is that since I updated to build 1.0.7 and then starting using various mods from the Community Toolbar, the water areas on the maps have turned texture-less. In game they still show the blue colours and correct textures, just not on the mini-map (I'm using the UI Improvements: Maps mod, maybe it needs updating?)

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/58aa9456bddc6_MapSeed480080418.jpg.1c570daf18cc6aaa0bd681dedf3dc974.jpg[/img]

Another one from the random map generation although it's a bit of a surprise to see it is only one number different from one of the other randomly generated maps I posted above (that happens so rarely to me that I thought it was worth mentioning!) The map in question is Seed 18763202 mentioned a post or two above.

<p style="color:rgb(102,102,102);font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(251,251,251);">

<p style="color:rgb(102,102,102);font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(251,251,251);">
This is not what I would call a "great" map because it still suffers from the Banished "round lake" syndrome but it is still interesting, I think mostly due to the division of the map by the lakes and river.

Map Seed: 18763203

Map Type: [<abbr style="border-bottom:1px dotted;" title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Lake Waters

Terrain Size: [<abbr style="border-bottom:1px dotted;" title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>] Very Large

Bottom of the yellow box indicates starting position.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/58eb8efa31952_MapSeed18763203.jpg.5549c74fd63c12e852878f8ce82fc3af.jpg[/img]