Wild Resources and Starting Conditions

Just an old idea I'm reviving for the forums. Basically, make the starting conditions be tied to specific biomes, rather than new trees and old trees.

For example you could have.

Boreal Forest,

Temperate Forest,

Cactus Desert

Palm Desert

Tropical Rainforest

Temperate Swamp

Or something along those lines. Each biome has a specific combination of trees that spawn and its own unique animals. (Though I realize those take time to make.) You then of course have specific foresters for each biome.

What you then do, is have each tree spawn its own array of unique wild resources. Oaks provide acorns, pine trees provide pine nuts, date palms provide dates, banana trees provide bananas, etc. Plus maybe other wild resources that would be appropriate for the environment the tree is in. Like berry bushes, mushrooms, roots, wild grains, wild honey, frogs and turtles, birds nests, and even insects.

It would take a lot of work to make all this, but the beauty of it would be that you could make your own biomes just by using a different mix of trees. Heck make your own scenario, and customize the biome while your at it to be exactly to your desires.

This does sound both awesome and like a lot of work. New meshes for each new food would be needed. New types of cacti or new types of tree would each need new meshes. Also, new animated animals are the hardest thing to make.

It might be a tad odd to have trees that spawn frogs and turtles, but I think it would work out pretty cool. I don't know what the pile of dead frogs/turtles the shore house creates looks like, so a new mesh might be needed for that as well. And whatever trees provided such marsh/swamp resources would have to be separate from the regular trees in the file (so that normal trees aren't just spawning frogs). I wonder if the chicken nest mesh could be used as a wild bird nest resulting in eggs and feathers when gathered?

There are already a handful of animals in pastures that could exist naturally in the wild, like horses and buffalo.The wild ducks would fit in well in a number of those places and llamas might work for some conditions too. The brown chickens don't look too bad, but the white leghorns really look strange to me in the wild. It probably isn't possible to have a wild animal that turns white in the winter and is brown the rest of the year (like some wild ground nesting birds do in cold areas).

But many of those climates really call for animals we don't have yet. And animated animals are apparently a pain in the butt to do. However, I will still dream of camels and crocodiles/alligators that would make deserts and swamps so much cooler. While I'm dreaming, wolves and bears would be cool (not that they could attack citizens, but hunters could kill them for bear meat and wolf meat, and maybe furs too). But the amount of time it takes to make new animals is immense and could likely be spent in more productive ways on the mod.

OMG.... how about a Fairy Forest [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />

Like this

Complete with treehousesunicorns, pegasus and ofc fairies [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Well, for the frogs and the turtles, you'd have them spawn from trees that would naturally be in a swamp. Mangroves maybe.

And yeah, I know the animals are not realistic to expect and deer are pretty much found everywhere. But it's still something to dream about.

Quote:
2 hours ago, Feneris said:

Well, for the frogs and the turtles, you'd have them spawn from trees that would naturally be in a swamp. Mangroves maybe.

And yeah, I know the animals are not realistic to expect and deer are pretty much found everywhere. But it's still something to dream about.

Mangroves would be cool (for warm climates). Or water oaks. I believe those are in colder swamps. Swampy/Marshy areas around here have mostly maples (Ohio, USA is full of maples) and oaks. Weeping Willows too, but I don't know if those are native or planted by people.

Animals are certainly possible, just very hard to do and time consuming. Also expensive, in that I think many of the animated meshes have been purchased. You've always been good at suggesting things that could potentially be accomplished. (I mean that as the highest compliment.) *smile*

And at least deer are all over the place, so they fit into most climates and scenarios.

Mangroves are a great idea actually 

Pls don't remove Waterworld. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Quote:
13 hours ago, Feneris said:

Or something along those lines. Each biome has a specific combination of trees that spawn and its own unique animals. (Though I realize those take time to make.) You then of course have specific foresters for each biome

Really cool idea, i like the idea of an "evolving" biosphere and resources which spawn sub-ecosystems.

Ive enjoyed cutting down only certain tress and thereby creating entire forest sections or town sections with a specific type of tree. So would follow that if i have only wild apple trees could spawn different resources than by having wild prune trees etc...

Conditional resources based on choices made in creating a town !

Further thought : a resource chain such that furniture made of cherry trees is of higher value etc., than furniture made from wild pine. Essentially branching out each type of tree much like a planted crop. no excuse for the pun...

Quote:
2 hours ago, thethirdapple said:

Further thought : a resource chain such that furniture made of cherry trees is of higher value etc., than furniture made from wild pine. Essentially branching out each type of tree much like a planted crop. no excuse for the pun...

I while that certainly is possible, it's not exactly viable. (No matter how awesome that would be.) To go into that much detail with the wood types would involve a massive reworking of construction, firewood, and any other process that uses wood.

We do have something similar to that with the hardwood forester, but I think introducing hardwoods as a wild resource would cause too many gameplay problems for it to really work.

Quote:
On November 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Feneris said:

I while that certainly is possible, it's not exactly viable. (No matter how awesome that would be.) To go into that much detail with the wood types would involve a massive reworking of construction, firewood, and any other process that uses wood.

We do have something similar to that with the hardwood forester, but I think introducing hardwoods as a wild resource would cause too many gameplay problems for it to really work.

Adding it as a wild resources is a dangerous road to take, it could simply unbalance the whole mod, forcing choices on players.

Matching all elements of a mod to a specific climatic condition is best done as a single condition mod like Tom Sawer's "The North" on WoB, I think he even re-skinned the deer into reindeer. I know its a very good mod, but for technical reasons not <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> compatible. Asking <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> to do that for all its starting conditions is both monumental, and goes against the inclusive nature of Banished modding.