Humble Industries

So, one of my favorite things to do in Banished to to make small towns surrounded by fields and wilderness. In fact I have found myself forgoing many of the newer innovations in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> because they force me to expand my town too much. The problem is really scaling the buildings and making everything match. I really like the row-houses mod, except for the row houses ironically enough. Same with the mini mod. The issue I have is that many of the things I love in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> are not included in these mini-packs. Since I have no modeling or texturing knowledge, I figured maybe I could lay out a possible frame-work and see if that was something any of the modders here would like to take a crack at.

What I am actually imagining is smaller industries. Things for supplying a small town of anywhere between fifty to a hundred people. Small workshops, and setups people would have in their yard.

Something like this...

-Carpentry workshop (furniture, crates, wood carvings)

-Blacksmith workshop (tools, metalware, and iron statues maybe.)

-Small smelter (uses charcoal or coal to turn ores into metal and mint coins.)

-Kiln (Produces pottery, bricks, glass, and charcoal.

-Smoke shed (Produces smoked meats with firewood (and without the barrel requirements.)

-Sewing shed (produces cloths and makes clothes.)

-Bee-hives (A smaller apiary to produce honey and beeswax.)

-Small oil press. (One oil press that produces oils.)

-Small dairy (cheese, butter and cream on a smaller scale.)

-Fermenting casks. (Make wine, ale, cider, or mead at these.) ((I could go on for hours as to how the brewing system could be improved.))

-Still (Turns wine, ale, cider, or mead into spirits.)

-Drying shed (dries herbs, mushrooms, meat, and tobacco.)

Just some ideas.

<abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> does include a couple of those things, but this a cool idea. I've also longed for a carpenter who also did other wood working type things!

I'm not sure what the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> folks have planned, but I plan on visiting a similar idea to this with my architecture mod as this was the way of most industry throughout the Colonial period. 

It will be a while as I want to focus on housing I initially. 

I have the same idea(ish) to you. While I love the sets in Banished, I don't like how so many are 'medieval' looking rather than 'new world' looking. I would love to have a complete mod that incorporates a new version of the production buildings so that they visually fit together really well and take the style of New England/Atlantic Canada. While <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> does great at some things, a lot of the buildings do not fit together in a visually appealing way due to size or style. I was thinking of starting with smaller buildings like the mini mod, although with a larger footprint maybe 3x3, that are basic versions are wooden structures and have a blacksmith, taylor, small weaver, etc. Then there are two versions of advanced buildings, one being a more rural theme with a larger foot print (such as 4x6) and one being a town version, perhaps 3x4, that can be stand alone or with an F variant that allows it to be built as a row building and looks kinda like a shop front from the late 1800s. This way you can start off with a small rural town with basic producing structures, then upgrade parts of it to a more advanced rural town or other parts to a more advanced town center which are themed on colonial/first settles of the North East States and Canada.

Have you suggested to "K" those <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> goods you would like added to <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>, he's very open to making these adjustments. I also think that making a cottage industry could add much to the game, I like making homesteads, and this kind of production would be a nice addition.

good idea PILGRIM.  yes some of the buildings exist in smaller mods, but not all. we have a small lumber cutter,blacksmith, and tailor. DS has the bee hives,i think what <a data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard&referrer=http%253A%252F%252Fblackliquidsoftware.com%252Findex.php%253F%252Ftopic%252F157-humble-industries%252F" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/" title="Go to Feneris's profile"><font color="#0066cc">Feneris</font></a> 31 is looking for is a modular set to slide up tight to his houses so that its an extension of the house.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a>. Modular construction will be one of the main features of the American Historical Architecture mod. 

u willl  b busy then.i can see that new idea going all kinds of ways. shall be interesting to see the new designs.

Brilliant idea!

Also maybe: a millstone (mill), cheese Press and butter churn (specific dairy), small loom (weaving), Chicken coop (tiny stables), garden (animal pen for veggies?) arboretum (greenhouse for fruit trees), tiny soapmaker / chandler, confectioner (tiny sugar maker), and jam shed (tiny preserver).

we have many of these in various mods here and WOB.i have a dairy that processes milk into cheese,butter,and cream all at once where as the creamery you get 1 or the other.i agree that the weaver could use an upgrade. there are a couple greenhouses but i do think that could be expanded for sure. i am hopeful with pilgrims colonial set that we will get a complete set of new buildings.