Larger milk pen/barn

I was recently reading some history of local buildings, a beautiful 1820s farm house, the largest in this part of Nova Scotia and one of the few remaining early 1800s buildings, was torn down after years of neglect. What does remain, however, is the barn which now is used for Ceilidh's, square dances, weddings, and university events. Back in the early days, however, the upper barn part was used as, well, a barn and the basement was used to house milk cows. I thought it would be neat to have a building like this in the game. Perhaps it is two modular units. The first is the basement, which houses say 3 cattle and produces milk per cattle or wool per sheep at a slightly reduced rate than the milk pens (but you get three cows for one worker so it is more 'efficient'). The second unit is a barn that fits over the top, giving the impression of a whole building doing both things.

Attached are a picture of the barn today, and a picture of the farm house back in the day.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/021-crystal-cliffs-wedding.jpg.bb500f816f764cc5e73018588fc0522e.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/crystalcliffs.jpg.d9bbe56dbd161083a3901272a7378a91.jpg[/img]

Actual pasture animals can only be kept in pastures. The game is very insistent upon that.

The Stable produces a Domesticated Animal resource that can be used to make a dairy barn building. I assume a basement/cellar building could require these, but couldn't really show them well if built. *grin*

Yeah, that was what I meant, as an 'upgrade' the current animal pens (not pastures). I should clarify as I forgot to mention in the original post, it would need domesticated animals (3) to build, plus lumber and stone or maybe a building supply as it is an 'advanced' building. The barn part would require building supplies and stone or something like that.

Perhaps you could have a cows head sticking out of a window in the basement so we can see what is in there (kinda joking but maybe not)!

Gotcha. I think as long as the basement matches the barn it goes "under" it should work together.

Was the original built into the side of a hill? Or how did they convince the cows to go down there? *grin*

Looks more like what I have a half basement, main floor up a step or two, down the same with the front landscaping higher that the back. That might cause some technical issues, but the idea of a lager version of what we already have is great as an anti-spamming tool.

Sorry, basement terminology is a bit confusing, that is what they call a partially sunk ground floor around here, just as Denis described it above. Most houses have them (usually turned into damp apartments with tiny winy windows for students...). The 'basement' of the barn is more an extension of the foundations, and is the sandstone part of the building you can see in the picture. While it looks like it is at ground level there, it is actually taller on the inside so the floor is deeper into the ground a little way, if I remember right there are about 3 or 4 steps down to it when you go through one of the doors and I think the big doors at the end are a ramp.

In terms of the game adaptation, it doesn't have to be a basement, just the stone ground level is the cow pen and the wooden structure on top the barn. 

Actually this wouldn't be very hard to do. We could use a similar code to the mine or root cellar and require the bottom floor to be built into a small hillside and the upper barn would be more like the second and third floor of RKs NMT buildings. 

It may also be possible to use something like the terraform beta tool to raise part of the ground around the lower barn. 

Playing around with elevations in Banished is tricky given the way the game is coded, a two tiered building using Red's method would work better.

" a two tiered building using Red's method would work better. " that is exactly what I was thinking.

sounds like this would work best as a modular set.similar idea to REDS stacked buildings 2nd and 3rd floors,as well as his newest house with the food pantry and storage add-ons. problem i foresee: would it be possible to make the top of the bottom level solid as ground so you could build whatever building you wanted on top using the buildings we already have. or if it would be limited to the buildings of the modular.  would give more options. if you are only doing a small pen under the house,then i would recommend the other half of the "cellar" be storage.

i think being able to build modularly rather it be building tight against the building or as you have suggested going above or below will give many options.for 1 we could have interchangable walls.we could build a tighter homestead or farm set that is more realistic to the time than the hiuge farms we build now.