Help with distribution of goods and suggestions
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;color:rgb(102,102,102);font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(251,251,251);">
I posted this yesterday, but I think it this is where the post really belongs.  I LOVE Banished and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.  I've spent several hundred hours playing.  What I feel the game/mod needs most, is some type of  a shipping/receiving depot, or a tweek of the distribution barns.  (I mentioned this over on Steam too).  My community of 500 has a large agricultural area that supports the surrounding towns and villages, and also provides goods for trade.  The game really becomes bottle-necked once you reach a certain level.  All my barns are at 100% and I can't seem to get the stuff moved out of the farm lands and into the towns or magazines, nor get it sent out to the industrial areas that depend on certain goods.  I tried the distribution barn and love the idea, but I spent quite a bit of time watching workers, and they just shuffle things around and don't really move things out of the area.  I've never tried the choo choo mod, so I'm not sure if it's set up to move large quantities from one train depot to another, but that is really something the game needs, a way to move large quantities of goods, longer distances than just the closest storage area, and drop it off at the next depot.  The way it is now, workers waste a lot of time wandering around with baskets of goods looking for a place to put it, instead of working.  This kind-of defeats the purpose of building little communities next to the farm fields and keeping workers close to their workplace, to increase productivity.  If choo choo isn't designed for that, maybe a progressive storage system, with more contral, could be designed that moves goods in a certain sequence...  Barn to magazine, then magazine to distribution barn, then distribution barn to markets and specialized warehouses.   Maybe a control on each barn/warehouse to toggle between shipping and receiving or both, like the forester has the option to do with cutting and planting.  Something to keep the goods moving out.  I don't know if this is even possible with a mod, but it sure would make the game a lot more enjoyable and rich.  Thanks!  In the mean time, I may check out the choo choo mod as a stand alone with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.  I know it's in the mega mod, but I just couldn't get the mega mod to work (crashes on start up).  Anyway, I'm hoping the choo choo mod is set up to carry goods to other places, if not, it may be something that could be made to happen. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Also, if there is something I'm missing, that's already in game, that will solve distribution problems, please let me know.

I got tired of having stockpiles and building new barns everywhere so I tried the Ridiculous Storage mod (you can obtain from Kralyerg's Kave of Krazy Kontraptions). It doesn't move materials around like you are hoping for, but it does mean your storage areas don't max out all the time, requiring you to build more.

I kinda made it a habit to build small and medium storage all the time and everywhere - even if I "don't need it" yet... I know that soon I will. It is part of my regular development, same as I build housing and such, and I try to use all possible kinds, like plain barns of all sizes, dry storage, bank barns, root cellars, grain silos and and and... plus I always try to reserve space (plop a footprint and pause construction) for large storage near potentially (storage-) "sensitive" spots... the worst I always find when I do not find space in densely developed areas...

After a while you are getting a dense (and nicely varied) network of storage - there are always some tools, materials, food etc. nearby, without long ways and without a need to build big structures in unsuitable places...

Stockpiles are a bit harder to spread around - in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> you can use the warehouse modules and some "Coverings" to make them a bit less obtrusive... still, I also spread small piles (2x2, 2x3 etc.) near workplaces that need rawmaterials...

As this is a suggestion. I moved it to Suggestions. *grin*

Unfortunately, some of what you've suggested isn't possible with the modding toolkit as it exists for Banished. Many of the game's assets can't be touched, so adding brand new things can be quite difficult or downright impossible.

I use Ridiculous Storage as well, for the exact reason you've run into (also I am a Cheater). Specialized storage buildings and stockpiles can also help a lot, to keep citizens putting things where they are supposed to go.

My citizens are pretty stubborn still, and I'm always finding goods really far from the buildings that make or use them. Silly little guys. *smile*

i understand the problem. i like to build a grainery,meat locker,and fruit/veggy storage near a twon. makes logical sence to have food stocks nearby a larger poppulated area.however the they get ignored since they are farther from the farm fields.u have to relearn the game and use vendors or markets. i use to not use vendors at all. its part of banished-the more you play the more you learn. what we would think works and the way banished works is somewhat different. moving goods of any kind has always been an issue.  luckily we have good modders who added multiple vendor and storage mods. i started using an industrial storage so i didn't have all those piles around. since the vendor uses a wheel barrow,he moves stuff faster. also,he can help keep other workers stocked with supplies. helps with the efficiency.

as to food thou,i still find myself wanting to build 1 way and the game dictates another. i've seen hungry ppl walk right by a farm town which was fully stocked and stay hungry. even a child is smart enuf to pick an apple off a freakin tree and eat it before you starve,grrr.added a mental note to  build a small vendor shop even if the area does not need 1. like i said its a constant learning and changing how we build these towns.

keep searching and adding to your mod collection. there are the small markets,extra vendor wagons and carts,etc. the carts get specific so you can keep logs here and stone stored somewhere else,etc. also the dock set has a log storage and firewood storage. the fruitvegbarn holds more food also.

First I think there is a builtin function in the way goods are scattered across the many storage buildings, to avoid the all in one basket loss to a disaster, which is why small quantities of goods are place sometimes very far from where they are made. I've mentioned this quite often, and know you can't change this. I personally constantly build storage, but if space is an issue try cellars, depending which mods you use there are many types. They offer a specialized local supply of any goods you want, and gives some control as to where they are stored. One could use them as an alternative to a market in some cases. You can also add them to existing barns to increase storage when you need to.

For industrial uses you can also place small specialized markets or carts as a fetcher for the production workers, the vendor get the goods which the tradesman gets from their cart.

There is always the option of simply stopping production, managing your town is part of the game!

Rereading the original post, I wonder what role markets play in your supply chain? I also ask myself what you think the magazine is supposed to do? 

Not judging but I have never needed to cheat on storage.

If you want to suck resources from one part of your town to another then try the resource depot. It's a lot like a trade dock, except that it doesn't do any trading. You tell it what you want it to get and it will go out and get it. Then once it has collected those goods you can tell it to empty them into nearby storage. It's a bit tedious in that you have to manually micromanage, but it can be done. Obviously though if you tell it to go and collect 1000 stone (or whatever) it will most likely go and collect them from the nearest source. But the resource depot workers will travel across the map to collect goods if they have to.

You could also use a trade dock to do much the same thing. And as Denis mentioned, markets should also help.

Thanks for all your advice.  I've increased the number of small markets and vendors between my agroculture area and my main town.  It seems to have helped.  The magazine storage was relocated to an area where all vendors could easily get to it.  I may try a resource depot next.  Once resources are added, how do you tell it to release them somewhere else?

Quote:
2 hours ago, LadyJ said:

Once resources are added, how do you tell it to release them somewhere else?

Same as in TradePorts - just "unload" the items and they will be picked up...

Set resource to 0 and the workers will dump in in nearby storage. And when those resource depot workers have nothing to do I think they act as super labourers, able to carry more than normal labourers. At least I think that is how it works, unless it's changed recently.