Making and Texturing Triangle Faces

Hello, me again. Sorry for all the questions, I figured as this one is different from the issue I was having with the crashes it warrants a new question thread, I guess it will act as a resource for others who have the same issues but don't want to read about the crashes.

I have made a couple of models now using triangle faces on the roofs. To do this I have a) taken one corner of a square plane and moved to to another to make a triangle or b) deleted a corner vertex off a square plane, then between the two remaining 'free' corners (i.e. only have an edge to the third corner) I created a new edge to make a triangle, then filled the three with a face.

Both methods make a nice triangle, however the texturing doesn't quite work. For one, version "a" above has four corners, but two are in the same place, can get confusing. Version "b" the face is not center, somehow, and I think it does have an extra corner in there somewhere.

Anyway, when applying the textures, the triangle pieces don't seem to line up as you can see from this final image...<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/PEIShoreBuildStages.jpg.33b1fcb27f22865a06e960f8242beae4.jpg" data-fileid="202">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/PEIShoreBuildStages.thumb.jpg.8edf306b22d8ef153ef5028b1fd5c385.jpg[/img]</a>

I want all of the wooden panels to be in a vertical direction. Now in blender, if I open the texture.png in the UV view, you can see that the triangle for this face panel in the uV view is in a good positon for this to happen, but that doesn't translate to the model...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Texture01.jpg.8dfaad58c425c48249cb3484da0bdfd3.jpg" data-fileid="203">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/Texture01.thumb.jpg.092affb48529608114aa34a7c76bb2d0.jpg[/img]</a>

My question is, how do I go about making triangle faces, and getting the texture correct? Or do I not, and make them a 4 edged plane but keep one edge very small and disguised behind the frame?

Cheers!

Quote:
2 hours ago, Necora said:

My question is, how do I go about making triangle faces, and getting the texture correct? Or do I not, and make them a 4 edged plane but keep one edge very small and disguised behind the frame?

Make them with only 3 edges. Select the Face, and 'Ctr+E' then select 'Mark seam'. Press 'U' to unwrap the face again on the UV layout.

When you do this, and scale and move the triangle on the UV layout, does this help?

If you have too many vertexes (points on the triangle), you can select 2 or more of them and merge them together, left side of the screen you will see 'mesh tools' where you can select 'Merge' and select an option to merge.

in 3ds max the solution to this is to "XForm" ... "reset selected" ... then just check the uv's are doing what they should, and then it translates cleanly in game.

Id also like to point out that everything in 3d is triangles, so a square plane = 2 triangles. If you change your view options to see them , then select one of them, you may delete it, and are then left with a perfect triangle.