Mountain Things

I loved what Discrepancy did with the small tunnel mine and being able to turn it into a mushroom farm. Brilliant, and very usable for harsh mountain maps (like the one my wife and I are playing right now).

But there could be more buildings that could be built into a mountainside, many which (I presume) might only require a change in the footprint of existing models, like in the docks set.

Like underground homes, from Hobbit holes to pseudo-modern-ish Eco homes, to full-on underground complexes. Statistically, it's just bonus warmth traded off for huge build times.

And underground aquifers, and oil drilling derricks, and abandoned mines (full of monsters maybe), and greenhouses and fuel refineries and industry foundries. All historically accurate, and it could use up the lamp oil and candles that many of us have stockpiled.

Maybe the deeper and more advanced stuff needs dynamite in its build requirements, made from coal and saltpetre and sulfur?

Animal pens too might be buried in the mountainside (especially for darkness-tolerant creatures like rats, rabbits, and chickens) along with woodcutters, preservers, and wineries. Practically any building that doesn't require sunlight to grow stuff could go underground ?.

I like this. Massive build times would make realistic sense along with the need to for candles and lamp oil. Mountainside storage and houses I could definitely go for, as well as mushroom farms.

I will point out however that most caves are rather quite cold. (In some places they were historically used as pre-electric fridges.) However the stone retains heat very well so once you heat it up you're good. So I'm unsure how they would rate in terms of fuel consumption.

Also, I know it's been spoken of before but I love the idea of cellars to turn cheese into Mature Cheese (maybe a luxury item) and the same with wine (Vintage wine). Yeah, it's just value-adding to existing products, but it's a pretty common thing for people to do across cultures and times...

Gods, reading these threads makes me hope harder than ever that Blackliquid actually gets their game off the ground. Banished is a great game but there is so much potential that is just not being realized because of the coding limitations.

Still, that idea is totally workable. Toss in a long cycle time and you could use it like the butcher or baker as a way to use manpower to squeeze more food out of the your existing resources.

I might try doing this myself (never played with the mod tools yet though). Is it easy enough to duplicate vanilla and mod assets and change their footprint? Keeping the same model of course, for the time being?

I'll bet this is a lot more complex than it sounds...

Quote:
1 hour ago, MackGideon said:

Is it easy enough to duplicate vanilla and mod assets and change their footprint?

Well, as far as mods go, that part is fairly straight forward.  They do look a little strange, though.

[Image: B9Ccbuo.jpg]

Even "steppe" type buildings would be great! Like the rice fields of china, or the housing in Brazil or Monte Cristo.

But yeah, pretty much anything that would help utilize my almost useless slopes would be awesome. I only need so many mines, and fields only work so much. Pastures work better, but then sometimes you get a glitch were the items and animals spawn across the map...

you need the NMT 3 story buildings then.

That sunken monastery looks pretty funny, so maybe things need a model change to go underground more.

Quote:
6 hours ago, stiles said:

you need the NMT 3 story buildings then.

What do you mean by this? Yeah you can build them on top of anything with a 4x5 space, but they look pretty off when buried in the mountainside.

I used to use the quayside houses in an earlier version of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, before folks changed the footprint. A bit of a shame (for me) because they mostly fit pretty nicely into the hillside. Still lovely houses though.

Kralyerg, I wonder if a lower profile building (eg: the dock shanty) might fit into a steeper slope, like a cliff face? Like those rickety mining villages in the mountains? Just a thought mate ?

I used to use the quay houses too for small hills, they looked awesome when they didn't flatten the terrain. If there were a few houses that you liked, it wouldn't be too hard to code them so that they don't level the terrain, as Kraylerg showed with the church above. You could even offset the height of the model, say plus 1m, 2m etc so that it can sit on a hill. One problem would be roads, there is no way to stop them flattening terrain as far as I am aware. Also not sure how it would work with the footprint/'floor' that they have to walk on, perhaps a set of board walks leading up to it would do. Maybe I'll experiment with this when I get some free time...