Places, Times and Settings

So I will confess outright that the colonial settings are not really my favorite. I don't much care of colonial architecture, and those times have never been among my greatest interests historically. My interests actually go a bit more diverse. I would honestly love to see more asian buildings, cedar longhouses, and just a general wider variety of house style and even more types of crops. (I can always go for more crop types.)

Now I know this view is not widely shared, as BL and other talented people have put a lot of time and love into recreating the colonial era for banished. But it kind of got me curious. What eras, places, and cultures are people here most fascinated by? Are colonial times your passion, or do you have other areas that capture your interest? What styles and looks do you go for when you are making your towns?

I know for myself my interests tend to go for the ancient cultures, basically anything that predates industrialism. I've always found it fascinating what kind of resources people have drawn up and the myraid of different ways they have invented to survive. I tend to enjoy making small, isolated villages that aren't really connected or based on any real world culture, but instead are kind of based on what resources I start out with and what the geography supports.

I would love to see Viking long houses or something like a Celtic village. I am fascinated with the colonial era, but I am just as interested in other time periods as well. 

Quote:
20 minutes ago, The Pilgrim said:

Viking long houses

Yep, I've made one in 3D studio before I love them too.

I don't especially like colonial style, it just sorta happened [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

My favourite is generic medieval fantasy. Rustic. Dirty. Haphazard.

Personally, I'm a fan of history, especially antiquity (ancient Rome, Carthage, Greece). I'm not especially interested in their architecture, more so their societies. Ancient Persia (Mesopotamia) another favourite. 

I've created medieval 3d content for a long time. I used to mod for Oblivion. Actually before then it was scifi, I released a few mods for some space strategy games.

I deviated from the original question sorry about that [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I love ancient Mediterranean history, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians etc. so a version of a Banished type game which incorporated all of these would be ideal for me. That being said, however, since moving to North America I have been learning a lot more about the history over here and it is fascinating.

Quote:
13 hours ago, Feneris said:

I know for myself my interests tend to go for the ancient cultures.

Me too. Im especially interested in ancient china, japan, and egypt. 

The colonial theme suits this game well, but when I'm playing I don't feel that my town is actually a colony of some great, far-off power. I think I mentioned this before, but for me the game exists in a world that's partly real, partly medieval (or later) fantasy. It's a very fuzzy time-frame, but it's a time when food was fresh and locally produced, the air and water was clean (let's ignore all that smoke) and physical labour was the norm. A pastoral village simulator would better describe how I see it.

My interests in history more or less begin and end with TV shows set in other times and cultures. HBO's Rome was great. I loved The Tudors, too. The Borgias, Vikings, Marco Polo. Even something like Penny Dreadful which is more horror/fantasy than reality. Historical accuracy isn't absolutely necessary but I do like to see different periods in history brought to life. Basically I appreciate TV that can show me a world that I wouldn't normally see.

My interest in history spans all ages and civilizations... but playing Banished there is no particular era on my mind, I'm content to be transported into my private little (and very bucolic) universe, away from politics or warfare... or "reality".

So I'm not after any particular "style" either, nor do I care for "realism" - I'll mix anything, as long as it looks good together. Because I can... it's my universe after all... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

Occasionally I do like to play sort of a "theme" - in Banished mods there are a few possibilities like a swamp setting (wooden Docks), or extreme winter (North), a southern or Mexican fantasy (the Mission) and Agave farms (Tequila), ... we may even see Egypt or Inkas or the Chinese Wall in some future mods - however, those will always be just excursions, not my main game...

If I were to choose a direction, I'd probably go for "steampunk" aesthetics... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

The reason  this mod turned out to be about the colonial era is because it just fit the vanilla game so perfectly. I can't say I was that interested in the North American colonial era before I got on board with this mod, but after researching a lot of buildings, I fell in love with the architecture and style, particularily the earlier colonial era (the frontier).

I'm a history buff so I don't really have a favorite historical setting. Being swedish, of course I am fond of vikings, but also high and late medieval stuff. But since so many strategy games/city builders already take place in a medieval setting, I am glad that this mod chose the colonial setting. The colonial setting is what I've had in mind since I bought the game anyway, the style was already there.

Antiquity is a pretty interesting period, with Greeks and Macedonians and Persians and then the Romans and Carthaginians. Wouldn't mind if we would go on to do an ancient Greek mod at some point, even if that might already be a done subject (in stragety war games, at least. Age of Empires being a childhood memory.) I also like the time around late 1800-early 1900, but that has more to do with fashion and technology rather than architecture. And since Banished is a game where we build a heck of a lot, the architecture has to be interesting. 

I think something that would be interesting to do in the future, and to keep it with the Colonial Charter theme, is to look at colonies elsewhere than the Americas. How about African colonies? European colonists in Asia? The contrast between native architecture and western architecture? I'm not that interested the orient to be honest, except of course, after western influences and industrialisation. Which I am guessing is not what people like to think about when they think of the beautiful and mystic east.

Another frontier I am interested in is also the outer frontier... you know... out in space. And I don't mean it in a sci-fi kind of way. Or well, yeah, it has to be sci-fi because we haven't landed people on planets yet. But I'm talking about a mod based on concepts and plans of NASA and other space agencies. How would a Mars colony actually look like? How would it survive 50 million miles away from Earth? I am actually drafting a concept of a potential mod like this. We'll see if it ever gets further than just the drawing board.

hmm i don't think RED's steam engine train is powerful enough to get to outerspace. are the aliens going to take you out there? lol   are you going to skip the industrial era and find a wormhole??   might be an interesting concept.

Being from the midwest of North America, we don't have a lot of colonial-age building around here, they are mostly in New England area. I do like them though. Medieval buildings are nice(I love the stone) but there are so many other games that use the architecture of this era that it loses some of its luster for me. I like more pre-medieval or even contemporary-medieval architecture. Vikings, Romans, Middle East, Native/tribal, etc. I don't necessarily have a favorite, I just like seeing these different cultures and the way they were able to improvise with the resources available to them to build their structures. Arctic cultures using earth and stone since there were few logs available for example. Also I don't need everything to be 100% accurate. I like accuracy as much as the next guy, but if the traditional building had 2 windows and the one I'm using has 3 windows, I could care less. Pretty much if it looks cool, I'll go for it.