Logging Orchard or Tweaked Existing Orchards

Is there a way to make an orchard that automatically triggers them to cut down some or all of the trees every 3-5 years? So there would be an orchard that you place (either with set 'wild' trees or you could select from the seeds you have). It would take up much less room than a forester, and could fit in a nice square area so I could sit it right inside my industrial area. Or even if it was a building like the white mulberry grove, but it produced logs instead of mulberry leaves. I realize I could do this with regular orchards, but that would require me remembering to go back and order them to be cut down every few years, and then I forget and they're producing fruit so I don't want to... It would be easier if it was automatic. So basically, I want an automated tree farm...

OR, if the existing orchards were tweaked so that when one of the old trees falls down and has to be replanted, it drops logs instead of just disappearing? I'd be really happy with that too. I mean, in real life they would probably cut the tree down when production dropped, not let it die of old age. Even if it did die on it's own, they'd still have to cut it up to remove it. It wouldn't just disappear.

The Forester in Kralyerg's Renewable Resources has a much smaller circle than the regular Forester. It might work for you.  Here's the LINK

Quote:
Just now, estherhb said:

a much smaller circle than the regular Forester

Or the Mini Forester in the Mini Buildings mod. There's no way to make it a square, though. 

Unless we make a "tree seed" for the orchard, and they plant it and when the trees grow, instead of harvesting fruit, it harvests logs. The trees wouldn't get chopped down, though. And it would be a little overpowered, since it will happen every year without the tree having to grow again.

Quote:
1 hour ago, Kralyerg said:

Unless we make a "tree seed" for the orchard, and they plant it and when the trees grow, instead of harvesting fruit, it harvests logs. The trees wouldn't get chopped down, though. And it would be a little overpowered, since it will happen every year without the tree having to grow again.

This is the type of thing I was thinking of for the orchard. You could tweak it to drop less logs to balance though? The idea I had is that you would have a bit of a bonus as opposed to a forester, because the trees are managed and cared for by the farmer so the size and growth (water, fertilizer, etc needs) are cared for and managed. Instead of nature where it's random. But not enough of a boost that it becomes a cheat. The other bonus is that if you have a 3x3 area, you can harvest logs, and if you have a 30x30 area you can harvest logs. You don't need a min size and you could place them side by side, as opposed to a round forester that either has to be overlapped (sacrificing production), or placed apart.

I do have both the mini one and the smaller one. But the forester seems to take more time to put out less resources than if you were to grow an orchard and cut them all at the same time. I'll have to do some tests on that. Also, an orchard of 20+ trees can be managed by 1 person. It seems to take at least 2 foresters to bring in a decent amount of logs. But It's not so much the output I'm really concerned with, I would just like something more convenient and easier to design around. Plus, I have an industrial area with no signs of nature, then a "park" right in the middle of it of wild trees, it looks kind of silly. (I know, I'm nitpicky. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />)

P.S. - The building I mentioned above as an example was the "White Mulberry Grove" found in the Old Buildings tab. (<abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>) This type of building would have the same benefits as the orchard. Side by side and slight boost / same output as forester in size comparison.

Quote:
22 hours ago, Horser01 said:

This is the type of thing I was thinking of for the orchard. You could tweak it to drop less logs to balance though? The idea I had is that you would have a bit of a bonus as opposed to a forester, because the trees are managed and cared for by the farmer so the size and growth (water, fertilizer, etc needs) are cared for and managed. Instead of nature where it's random.
But not enough of a boost that it becomes a cheat. The other bonus is that if you have a 3x3 area, you can harvest logs, and if you have a 30x30 area you can harvest logs. You don't need a min size and you could place them side by side, as opposed to a round forester that either has to be overlapped (sacrificing production), or placed apart.

I like this idea, and for those with the appropriate mod enabled could plant an orchard that requires Bonemeal (like the Tropical Greenhouse, that uses it to grow it's food), the requirement can be a part of the building process.  X logs, Y stone & A Bonemeal + Build Units. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Or even just add trees that grow logs to the greenhouse? That would be okay too. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

Quote:
On 12/31/2016 at 0:49 AM, Kralyerg said:

Or the Mini Forester in the Mini Buildings mod. There's no way to make it a square, though. 

If there's a way to affect the amount the orchard/seed type produces per tree, you could set it to 1/3 of the usual value and then you'd have a pretty balanced yearly production.