Farmers stop working

So here is my problem. I build many farms.  Many many farms. Most of them consist of 2 7x15 fields, a barn and a house, all surrounded by a fence. Works great for a while, but the all of a sudden when I get to around 100 people or so, the farmers just stop working. They'll plant super late in the season then take thier sweet time harvesting leaving most of the crop to die in the field. Why?

That happens to me when my farmers live far away from their fields

I would have thought that was the problem, but the house has two farmers living in it. Of course they may not be the farmers for those fields. Do you think if I reassigned all the jobs the would take what is closest to thier homes?  I know I would take a happiness hit ,but my people are always peak happiness so I'm not too worried about it. 

Unfortunately, I have to do that at some point in every game I play. Usually its the builders, and sometimes laborers themselves, that stop doing what they should. I have to move them out of their profession and back again, and look there, they magically work again. I find who is assigned to positions and follow them for a little bit, if nothing seems wrong other then them being stupid, I try reassigning.  

What about the fences? Have you tried to take down the fences. Yes, they were farming before ok but I find sometimes I have to demolish something and rebuild it. Unless they are ghost pieces, then shouldn't be an issue, but its Banished, its kind of screwy.

in the wnter did you have laborers clearing far away??? those farmers become laborers also then.taking long to get back they will plant late thus. are you sure they are harvesting?? does the field show a harvest amount? i did see a glitch where the fields stopped woking a long time ago. i think i found it was a mod order conflict.

if u find it is the workers being so far away,u may need more gates to the fence.save em some of the walk back.

Quote:
1 hour ago, stiles said:

if u find it is the workers being so far away,u may need more gates to the fence.save em some of the walk back.

My Bannieminions just walk through my fences.  It's odd.  I use a mix between the 'ghost fences', decorations pack & another.  It may be that they all don't act like 'fences', and just decorations. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Omg. My people shall henceforth and forevermore be known as banneminions. ?

Quote:
9 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

Omg. My people shall henceforth and forevermore be known as banneminions. ?

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

It's the funniest term I've used for them so far ...  and the kindest, lol [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Farmers are pretty stubborn. If the point they want to use to access the field is blocked, they stop working. It won't matter if you've put gates or left a few access spots without fences, they won't walk around to go through those. They might have worked a few years, but if housing/job pathing changed in any way and now goes through a fence, they stop working. Make sure you either use fences they can walk through, or leave one row of free space between your fields and fences.