Distances and Spreading Out
(02-08-2020, 09:26 PM)bestistbuddy Wrote: Thanks stiles, I'll make sure all my little communities have the needed things you suggested, blacksmith etc. I will also add a pub within their reach. Do I need more than one Inn and Garden center? I guess it wouldn't hurt.  I played the original Banished and got bored very quickly with it. Then I discovered the Mega Mod... now I'm too confused to be bored LOL  I appreciate your reply.
Hi Bestistbuddy.

I'm like you, pretty new to the mega-mods after finding Banished interesting but not captivating. The Mega-mod changed that with the huge variety of building and professions now.

So here is my rookie advice.

Food matters, tools matter, clothing and education matter. Until all those are secure, and I mean really secure, don't bother with the advanced professions.

Once I feel safe from an immediate disaster I begin with the butchers and bakers and candle stick makers. But it's food I still concentrate on. It seems if I keep them fed and clothed they are happy without any luxuries.

But nobody has told me if processed food is better for the peeps than food straight from the farm.

Before bars and inns I usually go for the advanced construction materials as they have quite a long production line to follow. Building materials and housewares first. Then luxury housewares. So for those you either have to be buying or making things like silverware, copper pipes, bricks and joists. All these require their own production line as you first mines will always be on coal and iron ore for basic construction.

Your early mines will run dry soon so you will need candles to upgrade them, candles requires beeswax so you need a hive or two. The second upgrade will require lamp oil, made at a presser from either whale blubber or seed oil. Blubber you buy but seed oil you can make from oil seeds (Sunflower, canola, etc.)

You get my drift? I don't worry about luxuries until I have all the necessary construction materials coming in. I like building the larger houses and building so I need those supplies.
I've received some great advice on this site which has me to my largest population to date. Just under 1400 people, (800/300/300)

Now I'm finding new problems. If a Bannie's house is too far from his job, he will starve going home for lunch. So far it's only in the winter and only about a dozen a year. But it's worrisome. Next time on I'm going to follow these peeps and see if routing is the problem or if I have a food desert somewhere.

The next mod I'd like to see is a really really detailed yearly report on production and consumption. What I made and where it went.

The other thing that bugs me is the huge fluctuations you see in a single farm's production. From 700 one year to nothing the next then back to 700? If too many farms have a bad year it can lead to a death spiral.
Keep posting your progress and how you're doing so we can learn from each other. I'm with you still in the confused stage.

Messages In This Thread
Distances and Spreading Out - by bestistbuddy - 02-06-2020, 08:55 PM
RE: Distances and Spreading Out - by stiles - 02-08-2020, 02:48 PM
RE: Distances and Spreading Out - by bestistbuddy - 02-08-2020, 09:26 PM
RE: Distances and Spreading Out - by Apothicus - 01-24-2021, 04:57 AM
RE: Distances and Spreading Out - by stiles - 01-25-2021, 08:34 PM