Banished General Settings and Options - Quick Guide

Banished Options (settings)

Seems some people are not really comfortable with checking out the options offered within Banished, so here is a quick rundown of some rather useful items... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Once you open the Options dialog, you will see four tabs: Game, Video, Audio and Input.

1) Tab "Game"

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/opt01.jpg.527bf2ef95ef93b769ce4a574332bc93.jpg[/img]

Most of the settings here are self-explanatory - but let's have a look at the settings for the "Status Icons".

The first (1) "Show status icons", lets you toggle whether you want to show the little icons that show on top of buildings or peeps depicting  cold, hunger, work status etc...

Most of the time you probably want these icons to show, but when making screenshots for a journal or a gallery you'll want to turn them off.

Beyond just switching them on/off you can also fine-tune things a bit.

With setting (2) you can adjust the opacity of the icons. Just move the slider to the left (less) or to the right (more) for your desired level of opacity.

Setting (3) has a slider to adjust the size of the icon - the more you move it to the left, the smaller the icon will appear.

After you have set your desired values, click on "Apply" and then "Ok".

Note

Zooming in and out also has an effect on the size of the icons, so experiment a bit to find the size that works best for you in all conditions.

By the way - if you wonder about the last entry, "User interface scale" - indeed this enables you to enlarge (or miniaturize) the whole interface... A word of caution though - this can impact the in-game menus in a serious way, leading to undesired word-wraps, somewhat "fuzzy" characters and other weird stuff.

2) Tab "Video"

NEW

There is now an in-depth Video Settings Guide written by <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a> 

So here just a quick fly-over -

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/opt02.jpg.a6a14a92d8b8b249c7533a9d17082ab9.jpg[/img]

You can set a few things like your prefered renderer (DirectX 9.0c or 11), your resolution, and whether you want to play in "Full screen" mode or not. It also shows you what model of graphic card you use... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I'm not going into all the possible settings - to tweak them in a meaningful way you need to know and understand a number of things about your system and/or graphic card. The initial values entered there (usually during installation) are sort of a "safe default" - they should play well with your setup, but do not necessarily tickle out the maximum possible performance.

Feel free to experiment with higher settings, but make a note of the default settings first, so you can set them back should things become... strange [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Better yet, go to the above mentioned article by <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a>

3) Tab "Audio"

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/opt03.jpg.900911f9298ba7b53994351dfcb938f3.jpg[/img]

Knowing of this tab's existence always makes me wonder when I see complaints that the cows are mooing too loud... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

There are four sliders that let you adjust most of the "noise" the game may offer.

UI Volume - the clicks and clacks when selecting items...
Music Volume - the general soundtrack...
Effect Volume - hammering, sawing, mooing and so on...
Ambient Volume - howling winds and such...

So this interface allows you pretty fine control of what you hear or not...

Personally I prefer to listen to my favorite records while playing anyway... but that's just me [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]/emoticons/rolleyes@2x.png 2x" title="9_9" width="20" />

Incidentally - you can also de-activate the 'bong''bong''bong' death-notifications and similar happenings in the (in-game) "Event Log".

4) Tab "Input"

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/opt04.jpg.f7a741d6f83091a72215ec8b584a6399.jpg[/img]

Here you set all the bindings for your keyboard shortcuts - rather involved stuff if you want to (re-)do them all... Most people may just want to set new bindings for the screenshot shortcuts - I

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/binding.jpg.d78c2284c829cc088146c759761a23a3.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Messages In This Thread
Banished General Settings and Options - Quick Guide - by Paeng - 01-01-2017, 01:02 PM