Texture transparency

I'm gonna be making some foliage and flower boxes for bay windows and planter boxes, so I started making some shrubs. The poly count quickly reached the hundreds for even a very small model. I realised that maybe the way to go would be with a simple geometric outline of the shrub, with each face textured with a partially transparent image, to replicate a bush but with like 8 or 10 vertexes.

Do banished model file types support textures with transparency?

If not, what is the best method to make shrubbery? Thanks doods. ☺

Yup transparency is supported, that is how most of the trees and crops etc. are made. 

My flax was made using this method. For the stem, I had a few blades of long grass on a transparent background. These were applied to a 6 sided cylinder. I then added a few square planes around the outside, which had a flax flower on a transparent background.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/FlaxPlant.jpg.3bd9715e64e56d027426a1ea79685bcc.jpg" data-fileid="1261">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/FlaxPlant.thumb.jpg.b5fcf2f85b9695b86536cce2178fc1fa.jpg[/img]</a>

Have you started coding yet? You need to use a different code for these textures than the normal ones to tell the game that they are transparent. You should also be careful when applying the ambient occlusion the building, as they can often cast a perfectly square shadow on whatever is behind them, rather than the shape of the flower. I am not sure if there is a way around this, I usually just lift them off the model before baking, then put them back.