I've watched a lot of Banished YouTubers...

I've watched a lot of Banished YouTubers, but the one type that we are lacking is someone who plays like me, a min/maxer.   It seems every YouTuber I've seen is all about making towns pretty ahead of min/maxing it, and there is nothing wrong with that if that's where you get your enjoyment from the game making it pretty is great, I like to do that myself, AFTER I've min/maxed the hell out of it. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  

So is it just that there are no YouTubers doing this or have I just not found one yet?  This would include someone to explain the production chains fully, there are game mechanics which can be confusing, having those explained would be great.  Example: When you build a market do they deliver just to houses or do they bring materials to the wood chopper or blacksmith for example?  I would think this would effect town layout.  Big market in the middle. surrounded by houses, and just on the outside edge but inside the ring of the market would be tailor/blacksmith/woodchopper/baker/candlestick maker, etc.  Then outside the circle food sources, aviary/farms/pastures etc... and let the market distribute the raw materials to the refiners and then to the homes. 

Have you tried this series: Town of Tuchus by Conflict Nerd Dylan - I don't see many decorations and things look "crammed together" (lol - to someone who prefers pretty towns) CLICK HERE.

The vendors in markets pick up merchandise from barns and stockpiles - they do not make deliveries.  Workers like the blacksmith can pick up raw materials they need and take finished goods to barns, stockpiles and sometimes markets or if laborers are available, they will do it.  When people need food/tools, etc, they leave work and pick up those items to store in their own houses.  They have to go home to eat.

The early let's plays (back from 3 years ago when the game was just released) were more min/max than anything else. But unfortunately the players that I saw weren't really that good at it. The other thing is there are no mods in those early games.

I didn't watch that many so there might well be some good min/max games out there. Try looking at the older stuff if you haven't already.

Quote:
14 hours ago, estherhb said:

Have you tried this series: Town of Tuchus by Conflict Nerd Dylan - I don't see many decorations and things look "crammed together" (lol - to someone who prefers pretty towns) CLICK HERE.

The vendors in markets pick up merchandise from barns and stockpiles - they do not make deliveries.  Workers like the blacksmith can pick up raw materials they need and take finished goods to barns, stockpiles and sometimes markets or if laborers are available, they will do it.  When people need food/tools, etc, they leave work and pick up those items to store in their own houses.  They have to go home to eat.

Spent the day watching that series by the way, what a trainwreck.  I like the way he talks about the game and he's fun to watch, but I was yelling at the TV many times when he would close the school and have a totally uneducated population.  And then, they were either always in a tool crisis or food crisis as a result of it.   All he had to do was start educating people and productivity would have gotten high enough to handle everything.  That's a beginner's mistake to be sure.  I've done it myself. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

Quote:
10 hours ago, elemental said:

The early let's plays (back from 3 years ago when the game was just released) were more min/max than anything else. But unfortunately the players that I saw weren't really that good at it. The other thing is there are no mods in those early games.

I didn't watch that many so there might well be some good min/max games out there. Try looking at the older stuff if you haven't already.

I just need to understand some of the underlying mechanics that I don't have yet.  I was just hoping to find a good youtube video on it as well.  I can figure the min/max of it myself once I understand the backbone of it.  Like, if I make a bundling shed and use reeds and then turn that into fuel, will homes use that instead of firewood if there is enough available?   <--- my idea being that I'd rather sell the firewood than use it for fuel in the early game at least.  In the past I've always just collected so many logs and bought them from traders to convert into firewood and that's how I bought most of my seeds/cattle etc.  I'm just looking to do a new town with the most efficiency I can. 

Quote:
2 hours ago, Bro said:

Like, if I make a bundling shed and use reeds and then turn that into fuel, will homes use that instead of firewood if there is enough available?

They will use whatever fuel they can get their hands on. You can't stop them using firewood (unless perhaps there is a mod for that somwhere) but if you keep the wood choppers away from most of your housing and the bundling shed near your housing then they will probably use more fire bundles than firewood. On the other hand, market vendors will probably seek out firewood even if they have a closer supply of fire bundles. Market vendors tend to like to stock a variety of goods. Another option in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> is to turn logs into lumber and export that. Same value as firewood but it can't be used as fuel.

Have you watched any of Biffa's videos?

Quote:
4 hours ago, elemental said:

Another option in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> is to turn logs into lumber and export that. Same value as firewood but it can't be used as fuel.

Have you watched any of Biffa's videos?

Nice tip, that problem is solved.  Just started a new game Adam & Eve at that and I will be applying that bit of knowledge into things for sure now. Using Lumber means I can put the bundling shed anywhere too.  Just now working my way to a river where I can do Reeds and Clay to start bricking up my roads.  Education and Iron tools all around I just need to keep moving fast and not overbuild houses lest they don't "couple up" properly.   I want my trader near the the bundling shed because it and the shoreman are along the coast.  Having fun with it now, but still need to evolve beyond the beginnings. 

I've started watching Biffa in his current run.  I think I have to go back to previous ones to get the more basic production chain info.   I mean, what's the next great trade item?  Or should I bother beyond lumber?  The whole idea in my mind with trade at all was to buy all the livestock/seeds etc to be completely self sustaining and grow.  Which then makes me ask the follow up, how many people is enough?  There has to be a point of critical mass where people die swiftly enough and only reproduce enough to keep the population level. 

Not really sure what you mean with min/max, i asume you mean most whats most efficient work a bannie can do.

Like in vanila miners and foresters produce barely enough to feed them while choppers make a ton of value, more then 20 times a miner makes.

In <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> there is stackburner that makes charcoal from wood and makes ridiculus amount of value ( so overpowerd imho that it feals like cheating). Also now there are ocupations that even make negative value. Check out this site http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/banish...l-charter/ they have a lot of info on most buildings and their output. Its not up to date but its pretty good info for most stuff.

Havent played much of <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> yet, but as i can tell its not so much balanced cause of so many different mods, but for me thats life like and fun.

Heres a few occupations that make about 800-1200 of value if placed right, which is great, and that dont have a large footprint. Hunter, gatherer, reed farm, rice planter, tailors, butchers, bee shelter, curing barn...

Most ocupations are part of some production chain so while not beeing profitable on there own make vaalue in a chain. One example that bugs me is Cooper which produces barrels and barely makes any value while also making too small quantity of barrels imho. But with quay fisherman and smokehouse there is nice value in that chain. But if you skip barel making and just buy them from traders there is even more value.

I still havent played enugh of <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> to check all it has to offer so i probably missed something.

You definitely want to build a Stacks Burner asap and produce charcoal instead of firewood; you'll need some lumber and a sawpit is fine for that.  For each Log, you get 11 Charcoal but only 4 Firewood. The amount produced is somewhat reflective of the fact that Charcoal is a much more efficient fuel. However, the game can't reflect that efficiency so you are just able to produce more.  It's also a help with producing enough Furnace Fuel for the industrial buildings.

There are definitely some businesses that The Small Business Administration needs to visit and teach them how to be more profitable.  The poor Cooper should think about more profitable wood products  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />.  

BTW: The Silisoftware site info is from the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.06 spreadsheets and in some cases is out of date.

Quote:
On 2/21/2017 at 11:25 AM, Canemane said:

Not really sure what you mean with min/max, i asume you mean most whats most efficient work a bannie can do.

Like in vanila miners and foresters produce barely enough to feed them while choppers make a ton of value, more then 20 times a miner makes.

In <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> there is stackburner that makes charcoal from wood and makes ridiculus amount of value ( so overpowerd imho that it feals like cheating). Also now there are ocupations that even make negative value. Check out this site http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/banish...l-charter/ they have a lot of info on most buildings and their output. Its not up to date but its pretty good info for most stuff.

Havent played much of <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> yet, but as i can tell its not so much balanced cause of so many different mods, but for me thats life like and fun.

Heres a few occupations that make about 800-1200 of value if placed right, which is great, and that dont have a large footprint. Hunter, gatherer, reed farm, rice planter, tailors, butchers, bee shelter, curing barn...

Most ocupations are part of some production chain so while not beeing profitable on there own make vaalue in a chain. One example that bugs me is Cooper which produces barrels and barely makes any value while also making too small quantity of barrels imho. But with quay fisherman and smokehouse there is nice value in that chain. But if you skip barel making and just buy them from traders there is even more value.

I still havent played enugh of <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> to check all it has to offer so i probably missed something.

For me it's not always about economic advantage, in some cases I'm just looking for the most efficient layout I can do.  How many markets do I really have to put down to keep things moving around well.  What's the best ways to use all the various stockpiles.  I chop wood in the forest but on the other side of the map I have my sawmill to cut lumber.  Because a forester works best when there is minimal building in it's circle.  Which would suggest a road, their housing, gatherer and housing, herbalist and housing, hunter and housing.. then storage and stockpile and you're really getting inefficient, so maybe moving the housing out would be best and make them walk back and forth, that would allow the houses to be closer to the market too, or should one put the market in the middle of the trees with everything else?  

There's got to be a more optimal way.  

A better mechanic in the game would be to let us choose the size of our circles, of course the bigger the circle the more people you need to work the whole thing.  But at least then you can make a HUGE circle and just put everything the workers need in it without losing a ton of efficiency.  

I'm using this as an example, but I encounter this type of thing a lot.  like with farms/orchards/pastures and industrial areas where you make your various later stage of the game items.  I know you can optimize the size of those based on what you're laying down, but where do you put the houses? Marketplace, barns and stockpiles to optimize things, and what's a great road layout to take advantage of the game mechanics?  

I know.... I go deep.  lol