Fatal Access Violation!

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't replied for a while. I have been really ill and so not been able to see my mum. Thanks for all your comments, I am still working through the suggestions at the minute.

Thank you <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15440" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/">@joxer316</a> for this crash dump! Don't know what it means but it did give me an Idea. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to try it yet but My mum uses her own account on my Laptop. I'm Wondering if it's having problems because she is using a second account and not the primary one. I have asked her to log into my account on the laptop and see if the crash happens there too but she hasn't replied yet.

Quote:
3 hours ago, estherhb said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15440" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/">@joxer316</a> If it is read/write problem: Are you using Windows 10?  If so you need to make sure your Save file (usually found under Documents>Banished>Save) is Read/Write and not just Read only. That's a frequent problem with Windows 10, causing crashes when the game autosaves or you exit/save your game.

Yes, she is using Win10, I will have a look and make sure the folder is not a read-only folder. Thanks for this Tip!

Quote:
3 hours ago, QueryEverything said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16399" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/">@Endo-Chick</a> (great name),  <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15440" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/">@joxer316</a> this may help as well.

Just want to check:  The crash happens even when there are absolutely no mods installed?  (Not just disabled), and the Banished/WinData folder has absolutely no .pkm or .sub files in there?

Have you moved all the save files from the MyDocs/Banished/Save folder?  Making sure this is completely empty, keep a copy of all saves in another drive - but delet the Autosave file

Once that has all been done - and you run the game, what happens?

Does the crash still happen?

I suggest:  

- Clean everything out, load Banished.  Let it load completely, change any game settings you need to (screen size etc); then

- EXIT Banished completely -  extremely important!!

- Load Banished - let it run.

- Start a new map

- Save the Map as soon as it loads

- Run for 10 mins or so, save again, let the Autosave kick in

See if it crashes at any of those steps, and see if that can be narrowed down.

Notes

- Mods need to be removed, rather than just delete them, move them into a backup folder on the system, you will need them as you rebuild

- If the Steam account has any mods subscribed - make sure you unsubscribe for now

- Whilst running the game - do not build a town hall, do not build a nomad attractor (well, town hall etc)

- By taking things one step at a time, and making sure there is no 'residuals' stuck in the machine, you can hopefully pinpoint a trigger to the crashes.

- By making sure you EXIT the game completely after installing / removing mods, then restarting the game, you are forcing it to write the data to the harddrive correctly.  The ingame 'reload' doesn't work as well as it should, and causes crashes when mods aren't removed/updated correctly.  

This may not solve your problems, but as a troubleshoot checklist, it may help others help you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> 

If you're still having problems, please make sure when you post next you include the Banished version you are running (it's on the Menu screen, down the bottom with the yellow writing).  - Please note, I do have a beta version (available through Steam), so we may have different numbers, that's ok, we just need to know what you're running. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592cb31cc6601_banishedversiondetails.jpg.34c10abdb8e46b73751ed395cd4cba69.jpg" data-fileid="2516">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592cb31d01467_banishedversiondetails.thumb.jpg.0c48b4d9a911a268eda9938f425eced8.jpg[/img]</a>

<div>
<div title="Found 7 errors in text">

</div>
</div>

Thanks![img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" title=":P" width="20" />

Yes, we tried both ways with the mod disabled and with it completely uninstalled and the game still crashes. In order for it to not crash I need to completely delete the game from steam and reinstall it. I didn't delete the saves in the document folder though, I just thought steam would do that anyway. I did make a backup of her saves and placed them back into the saves folder once the game had reinstalled (I didn't delete the autosave one).  Thinking about it, the save folder was empty when I placed her saves back into the folder.

I didn't check the Banished/Windata folder for any .pkm or .sub files as I don't know whats what in it so I just left things be.

I can tell you now that she never got to a point in the game to make a Town Hall or nomad attractor, I'm not sure but she may have had a trading post. She was very early into the game when it started happening. 

I will be talking to her over the next couple of days hopefully so I will let you know soon the things we have tried and if anything worked. 

Thanks again for all your help! It has been very much appreciated. 

Endo-Chick 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16399" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/">@Endo-Chick</a> Firstly, I hope you're feeling better, it sucks to be sick!  Yuck!

And your use of Mum, not Mom, are you an Aussie or Brit maybe?  I'm an Aussie [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />   (other cultures use Mum too, I know [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> )

Following on from <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> answer,

Do other games via Steam run ok?  Is it only Banished?

Are you running on a laptop which only has a C drive?

Are you installing direct from Steam, or are you using a separate .exe file?

I had a problem with another game (not through Steam), that wouldn't let me install into where I wanted it to because I didn't have Admin rights, and so I had to install it into my User directory, which annoyed the crap out of me, so I had to do a work around, but it was a User issue - I wonder, what information your Mum comes back with about using your account v hers on your laptop.

**  Here is a link for you to read - ask your Mum to change her account to an Administrator and then run the setup, installation, and then the game. If it is a read/write error caused by the User rights, then this should fix all the problems with this crash. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6917...-10-a.html

I hope that solves it [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Re the other note about the files:

Make sure you leave the PKG files, you will need these, they are the updates and game files.

The PKM & SUB (.pkm & .sub), you need to remove them - make sure that all the .SUB are paired with the .PKM files.

--  All .SUB files will have a pair with .PKMs; not all .PKM have .SUB files

--  .SUB files are the subscription files that move with you from Steam, any file you've installed from the Banished workshop, in Steam, will show in the folder with a .SUB file

Autosaves have been a bit buggy for me, so I always recommend that they get deleted any time there is a major crash unless you really want something from that time period.  

In which case I load the Autosave, hit Pause (if it wasn't already) then Save the map, straight away.  Quit the map, Exit the game, delete the Autosave.  Let the game generate a new one.

I hope the solution has been found for you and your Mum [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

ps:  In my pkm & sub screenshot, I am aware that they aren't paired, it's the sort order I had in the folder, before I do anything else I would always make sure I drag them in pairs [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592e17464b049_installlocation.jpg.17c6d3fcae26a39d0c355703503659b7.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592e174d8f6f8_installfolderfilesPKG.jpg.3c00a5765bb9c83d7f1f6eac0b17adcb.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592e175151e23_installfolderfilespkmsub.jpg.6d7d2db30f69b77cc95be7c92ac89e4f.jpg[/img]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> Thank you, bud! :-) Unfortunately, I have crappy health and it's just taken a turn for the worst so yeah it sucks. I am indeed British, well guessed!

I come bearing good news anyway! Thanks to the Crash dump file <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15440" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/">@joxer316</a> supplied, I did get a little bit of a light bulb moment. I did say in my reply last night that I have asked my mum to play on my profile on the laptop to see if it is a permissions issue, Today she told me that the mod works fine and there are no issues with the game crashing on my profile. So maybe it's either the being able to write to an area that's not allowed access or something else. But this seems to have fixed it. My mum isn't too great with computers so the next time I have a chance to go to her house and see her I will do some work on permissions to her account and see if I can solve the issue and let you all know if I can find the area where the issue is occurring. 

Thank you all so much for all your help, This is an amazing community and an amazing Mod, I can't believe I've never played it before.

Let me know where I can leave the solution to this when I find it and I will make sure to make it available to anyone else who experiences it.

Thanks 

Endo-Chick :-)

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16399" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/">@Endo-Chick</a> I do hope you feel better soon, being sick sucks!! 

When you've got it all sorted, and your Mum can play happily just come back here and let us know it's all been resolved, and what you did that worked.  That way when people do a search your answer will show. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I've bookmarked the topic too so if someone else shows the same symptoms (pardon the pun), I can refer back to here if needs be. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

It is indeed a fabulous community :D

Thanks <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> I will be sure to post it here then. 

I think I will stick around this community and maybe get to know you all a bit better :-) 

Thanks again. You have all been a great help :-) 

Endo-Chick <3

To the guy(joxer316) that opened the dump file with VS: So if it is a virtual address does that mean the problem could be an overfilled paging file, or virtual memory, or whatever it was called when your RAM dumps to a hard(or solid) drive? At least if it's that it's fixable by clearing your drive cause otherwise it must be a memory allocation thing. And I'm suggesting these 2 cause some people get the FAV on game initialisation and not on savefile loading.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/29662-kaloyan_96/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="29662" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/29662-kaloyan_96/">@kaloyan_96</a> You're responding to a comment that was made over a year ago!