Murder Map

I have been playing again for a few days, and have come across a new favorite map, 187.

Neuvo Arbol easy start opened with default raspberries, oats, apricots and sheep! Simply everything you need for coats, wine, various breads, and stables. A very fortuitous start. Oats make domestic animals, which are for animal pens but also excellent for trade. Endless supplies of milk, which leads to butter, cheese, cream and (my favorite) yogurt. Plenty of eggs, it's bagel time! Plenty of leather and wool, can you say Peacoat? (I used to have a peacoat IRL...)

The other default tree was quinces. now if someone could tell me just what good a quince is, in game, i would be grateful.  

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

it is good to be back.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/593861b560296_Application-steam-x642017-06-0704-14-01-516.jpg.3df28674ab097306722c86f958757f2a.jpg" data-fileid="2576">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/593861b81bba2_Application-steam-x642017-06-0704-14-01-516.thumb.jpg.0c94bf399caf3ff976533d61d51f7aed.jpg[/img]</a>

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/594b47edc5c7b_Application-steam-x642017-06-0718-42-29-229.thumb.jpg.2b4a02678c470b443ac40fc0667271f5.jpg[/img]

irl you make pies out of it?

Quote:
22 hours ago, Kerlyssa said:

irl you make pies out of it?

i thought of that too, but wondered if i was conflating it with mince, as in mincemeat pie...   anyways, they are not my favorite game crop.

oh, and jellies. yeah, i've never planted 'em

Back in Colonial times, it was traditional to have a quince tree in your yard. One quince tree. Not a whole orchard. Apparently they couldn't figure out what to do with them either.

Quote:
On 8/06/2017 at 8:30 AM, BuildHappy said:

....The other default tree was quinces. now if someone could tell me just what good a quince is, in game, i would be grateful.

The only time I've eaten quince was in a home-baked apple pie, it tasted OK  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

EDIT: <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8733-buildhappy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8733" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8733-buildhappy/">@BuildHappy</a> after saying I'd only ever tried Quince in a apple pie, I was at the local craft market today and on the Jams and Preserves stand they were selling Quince Jelly (Jam) so got a jar to try, its a lovely ruby red colour and very sweet, the closest I could come to describing it .... is it very much tastes like the Rose-hip syrup my Mum used to give me when I had a cold as a kid.

To follow on from what <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> mentioned, quince is a hardy plant and can survive without much attention. 

And as mentioned by <span><a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="7020" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/7020-catty-cb/">@catty-cb</a> it can be found as a preserve or as the base for making preserves because from what I remember, it has something in it that makes it good for that purpose (I'd have to ask my mother, she's used quince in the past for marmalades and so on).</span>

I think it was because of these two reasons that it was commonly found in not just gardens but also some small orchards in the past. And as a bit of trivia, I just found out while doing a search on the quince that the word "marmalade" is derived from the Portuguese word "marmelo" which is what the Portuguese call the quince!

i looked at the goog for images, and decided quince are not ugly. (unlike buddha hand)

but quince seem pretty useless unless cooked: "Quince may resemble pears and apples, but unlike their fruit brethren, raw quince are inedibly tannic and sour."

(see http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/h...ore-quince)

then thanks to <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> (the very best resource chart maker!) i found the answers to my own question, what good is a quince IN GAME: 

they can be used to make fruit jam at the preservist (also need glassware and sugar) and to make tinned fruit at the tinnery (also needs tin refined from tin ore) but i think the tinned fruit should need sugar too, or tummy aches might abound...

so as a default start tree crop, quince aren't terribly useful, as you have to get SEVERAL intensive production chains going strong before you can put them to good use (preserves alone will need sugar plantations, sugar houses, shore houses, furnace fuel and glass works. canned fruit will need mines for tin ore, a foundry, furnace fuel, and a tinnery.  --  that's a LOT of work  --  definitely better (imo) for later , when the city is solidly established and has a bajillion extra laborers available...

quite a quince!

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_06/quince.JPG.1cce21589f99069572db64feb23254c0.JPG[/img]

I'd have to agree with you <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8733-buildhappy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8733" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8733-buildhappy/">@BuildHappy</a>, it doesn't seem terribly useful as a starting orchard plant because of the production chains required.

I suppose we can be grateful that our citizens can't actually taste it, otherwise they might all move on to greener pastures! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

My Paternal Grandparents had a tree in their house, I can't remember the details, I remember though the work that my Grandmother would put into making her Quince Jelly.

It was to be used like a jam, but it was beautiful and clear and sweet like a jelly, and it had such a unique taste to it.

None of the ones I've bought as an adult are the same as hers I had as a child, but that could also be distorted memories [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I am not surprised to learn about the marmalade cross-over as I can see/sense the similarities there and envision quince being included in a fresh marmalade.  It also makes perfect sense given that most people of that time (my Grandparents) would also make marmalades as well as other preserves, so ... what a wonderful bit of quince trivia learnt today [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />