planner or random?

do you like to lay out your town before you "un-pause" or do you just start plopping buildings willy-nilly, and let your town grow "organically"?

i'm pretty fussy about distances and proportions and balance, and getting good happiness radii, but i hate how long it takes folks to lay down a dirt road before they do anything else, so i've grown into a habit: i lay out most my roads on pause, for strategic placement of service buildings, etc.

then before i hit play, i delete most planned roads except intersections. that way i know what i want to grow, but waste a LOT less time getting started.

i use the delete road tool to visualize an overview of my future roads, to see if they line up the way i wanted.

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/595d4bec7e49f_Application-steam-x642017-06-2721-48-46-407.thumb.jpg.b0adf7943749eee0087f9987f1a2cd52.jpg[/img]

I do a bit of planned and freestyle building [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

With roads, I normally lay them out, lay out the buildings that I want, pause the buildings, then delete the roads, then unpause what I want to build next - doing it that way means that the roads don't get built first, the buildings are ready to go, I control what I want, then I go back and fill in the roads.  Especially since I've started doing 3 & 5 wide roads lately [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

In the forests they are look similar so I don't fuss as much, and just lay the buildings down and let the builders get on with it.

Definitely though in the first 2 outposts (either forest or river/lake) it's all controlled.

Have you used the grid tool in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>?  I recently started with it and it has saved me some certain frustration!!!

This is the grindlines tool <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8733-buildhappy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8733" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8733-buildhappy/">@BuildHappy</a> http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/files/file/26-gridlines/

Quote:
38 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

Have you used the grid tool in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>?

i have, but find it is not big enough for my purposes. i like making a huge plan, and pulling the view all the way back to see long roads making arrow swift travel in my towns. comes from being from a fly-over state, i guess, wide-open areas with fast roads.

i also put down roads, lay buildings, pause buildings then delete roads. but not as often as i used to because, i'm also starting to use wider roads now and if i delete all the roads before they're built i may not remember what i intended to do (i'm old). and because i'm adding gaps for future home landscaping. one of my folks may decide to start baking in the back yard and selling her cherry pie at the farmers market, or someone may decide to keep bees, or put in a well. not to mention all the deco i should definitely use more of... (wow way to mangle a sentence.) and finally because i may not un-pause enough of them very fast. i don't like to keep un-built items on pause too long, especially fields and pastures, because the timber starts to fall away. all that potential firewood...

my initial road lay-out is always spacious (flat maps really work for me) and letting the key intersections get built really helps me stick to my "vision."

Seems like a huge plan ahead. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blink.png[/img]/emoticons/blink@2x.png 2x" title="O.o" width="20" />

Sadly I had no thought of making "wide-open areas with fast roads" (as you said) at the first place, now I'm stuck with around 1.200 citizens in two big islands (each island is focused on farming and mining area and another one is the residential area). And now it's too late to rebuild the road. I still have 4 other big islands and may have to do some planning.

I mostly pause the game before starting to build something. I love to build mining area surrounded by forest and some gatherer and forester hut, then followed by little residential area after the forest. I had to avoid the happiness penalty made by the mines.

And... I also forgot to leave the gaps between buildings, now everything is hard to decorate which is sad. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

But hey, I still have 4 more islands to develop, this time with a plan.

Just reminders:

- Avoid building hospital too close to the residential or crowded area (e.g. markets) if possible. So once a citizen gets sick, it won't spread out a lot while he is being healed in the hospital.

- And avoid saving the game while there is an unfinished road (the road that is semi-transparent). Saving the game while there is unfinished road may cause a glitch, making the road unremovable.

- Citizen travelling distance capability may vary, especially during winter which is shorten the distance.

Quote:
3 minutes ago, Diospectre said:

avoid saving the game while there is an unfinished road (the road that is semi-transparent). Saving the game while there is unfinished road may cause a glitch, making the road unremovable.

yes, i learned this the hard way. i quit my game to go to work, came back, and could never build on those places where the road was unfinished (semi-transparent) and deleted.  now i am careful to do as much road as i need before "un-pausing" or saving, and i'm enjoying my "intersections only" method, it helps get folks done with roads faster at the beginning, so they go do their "real" jobs.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

and seriously, where's the screenshots of this six island paradise?

Great tips [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  

Sounds like some great early game starter ideas here [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Will do the uploads. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584633ccce2f8_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic463.png[/img]

But once you see it, don't get surprised because my town looks like a warfare zone. Today I redesign my town after reading your thread, to be honest, and it's not done yet.

How is your town going? I'm curious of your town design. (maybe I can copy the idea a bit [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blush.png[/img]/emoticons/blush@2x.png 2x" title=":$" width="20" />)

Quote:
On 7/7/2017 at 10:02 AM, Diospectre said:

How is your town going?

it got to around 7-800 population, abundant food, strong steady fuel supply, and a burgeoning docks/trade area. then i had to get some sleep, and when i played next, i started a new town.

i use a building's radius to plan most stuff. i place foresters and gatherers to make sure the radius doesn't go over rivers, mountains, buildings, etc. then i lay out roads to keep development out of forester and gather radii. and i have folks pick up all stone and iron inside the radius also, to allow trees and natural foods to use every bit of space in their circles. 

i stopped using herbalists and apothecaries when herbs became available as a crop seed. if i don't get it as a default crop, i trade for it asap. until then, clearing areas for construction seems to pick up enough herbs to last, and the hospital takes care or any major outbreaks. health is bolstered by access to all food types, and that seems to reduce need for herbs too.

but i do wonder, does garlic bread add to health? it is one of my favorites to assign to bakeries, it would be cool if it also benefited health. 

storage i keep near ports, and only next to food supplies if they are too far away from the ports. then i rely on markets for bringing goods to housing areas. i use libraries instead of churches for happiness, personal preference.

i do wish the statue carver had a happiness radius, and maybe the potter. art would be a nice source of culture and knowledge. and if some sort of apprentice hierarchy was possible in banished that would be fun. i always liked the medieval idea of one-to-one learning, becoming a master at a craft and taking years, if not decades, to do so. tv has ruined the idea of apprenticeship. well, no need to dwell on that here.

i play with disasters off so crops don't blight. biggest problem i have with crops is getting enough people to harvest before winter gets them. if i build a nomad attractor (attracter?) i usually demolish it when my population is big enough to have 20 builders and 20-40 laborers at all times. i try to keep a 3/1 or 4/1 adult to child ratio, 20 kids for every 60-80 adults, at least during growth, later it needs to diminish or folks start popping up homeless.

oh, and i almost forgot to mention, since i do it as a matter of course these days: i set all as educated. home school rules! don't think of it as a debug cheat, think of it as good parenting.   [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />   i usually end up with happy healthy agriculture communities... i do love a bucolic life

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_07/5961628cbbc65_Application-steam-x642017-06-0720-16-09-527.thumb.jpg.b90f7f122cc1d239f9f7f813d661dc86.jpg[/img]

i usually plop down herbalists w my foresters, because, why not? either i have the banns to man them, or i don't and they stop work. do the same thing w all educated until my town gets fancy enough to have a university campus w a bunch of different schools plopped down- the population growth regulation of schools is pretty nice, and some of the schools are too pretty not to have somewhere

Don't forget that your citizens can only use Herbs to improve health by taking them to an Herbalist.