Building balance

Hey. New Banished (and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>) player here. A little background before I jump into the suggestion. The vanilla game provided a slight initial challenge, but became boring for me extremely fast. Production chains were too simple, extremely limited buildings set, hard difficulty wasn't very hard, etc. I came across your DLC...errr...mod (really great work) and was amazed. More difficulty choices, new terrains, new map sizes, more buildings and more complex production chains. The (what felt like) half-completed vanilla version is now feeling like a full release game. Once again, great work.

So, I started up a pilot game (on medium) to toy around with all the unfamiliar additions. What stood out to me immediately was that some of the new buildings are overly productive. The reed farms are producing outputs at insane quantity for its footprint and worker count. The hunting reeds do the same. Seriously, this thing is comparable to a fully staffed hunting cabin without the radius and a small footprint. What's worse, the output of these overproductive buildings can be used to make clothing with a high trade value. It seems like an extremely broken early game strat that removes any semblance of difficulty.

My suggestion, balance changes to some of these buildings would be nice. Make them less productive. I'm not sure what confines exist for mods, but maybe that's already the case at higher difficulty settings and they're only this broken at medium and easy. In which case, sorry for the hasty suggestion.

At some point in the future, there may be a complete rebalancing of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, but it isn't in the works, nor is one in the planning stages. Sometimes it's like the 3 bears represent the "average" players: for some it's too hard, for others it's too easy and for some it's just right.  If those buildings "break" the game for you, then you can always not use them.  

The Reed farms (and most other dock buildings) feel too strong on regular maps, but they were designed with the waterworld (or marsh) kind of maps in mind, where land-area is very limited, and reeds are the main resource you'll use to get firebundles, ropes and clothing. It has to produce a lot to keep up with the demands in a dock town. The footprint definitely feels too small for the production though.

The footprint may seem small, but you have to remember that it is designed to fit on a larger river while leaving room for merchant boats to pass. So much to keep in mind when designing buildings in this game.

Quote:
11 hours ago, Vrayna said:

The Reed farms (and most other dock buildings) feel too strong on regular maps, but they were designed with the waterworld (or marsh) kind of maps in mind, where land-area is very limited, and reeds are the main resource you'll use to get firebundles, ropes and clothing. It has to produce a lot to keep up with the demands in a dock town. The footprint definitely feels too small for the production though.

That makes sense. I haven't played the map types with limited buildable area yet, so can't really gauge whether they feel balanced or not in those scenarios. Guess I'll avoid these specific buildings until I get around to trying waterworld or marsh.