Why is [CC] Very Mild anything, but Very Mild?
I've tried finding a climate that will give me snow in winter, but not before winter, so the harvesting will get finished (I'm experimenting with sizes of the fields, all with 1 farmer (7x7 is 100%, but uses to much labor, 11x11 is NOT 100% and the loss is too high (even though I see it mentioned as the best size), 10X10, but still a loss, now trying 9x9.) All these tries are with a large number of fields with Wheat, Corn, Sorghum, Benas, Sunflower, and Lentils (Squash has been ruled out so far)).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'd suspect very slow sowing in spring can be an issue in this town. Walking distances will slow the farmers' work, delaying the moment parts of your fields start growing. Same for the harvest, unless you are using the option to make laborers pick up the baskets, some of the farmers will have to walk too much to bring the harvest in.
With more houses / storage places replacing some of the fields to keep walking distances shorter, you'd get better results.

Towns with housin / industry / farming separate districts look good, but in the long run they'll never be totally efficient.
(02-09-2021, 01:27 PM)Vrayna Wrote: I'd suspect very slow sowing in spring can be an issue in this town. Walking distances will slow the farmers' work, delaying the moment parts of your fields start growing. Same for the harvest, unless you are using the option to make laborers pick up the baskets, some of the farmers will have to walk too much to bring the harvest in.
With more houses / storage places replacing some of the fields to keep walking distances shorter, you'd get better results.

Towns with housin / industry / farming separate districts look good, but in the long run they'll never be totally efficient.
I was thinking more about the fact that it snows, and the temp goes below zero, in late autumn. Hell, even here in southern Norway we seldom see snow in late autumn, and if we do, it will be gone within days. Winter, in my opinion, starts in December, and ends in March. Very Mild should see now snow or freezing in those months, and hardly anything in early December and late February. I switched to Mediterranean in my new game, which sucks, because I don't get the winter to break the growing cycle, so it starts again in early spring (or do they sow even if not all the crops has been gathered?

What is the mod that lets the farmers pick up the baskets?
I think in C you have an option on each field that you can tick to let laborers pick the baskets instead of the farmers.

The snow wouldn't kill part of your harvest if things started growing early enough in spring and reacxhed maturity before the automatic harvest in autumn, or if your farmers didn't waste time during the harvest Wink
(02-10-2021, 08:21 AM)Vrayna Wrote: I think in C you have an option on each field that you can tick to let laborers pick the baskets instead of the farmers.

The snow wouldn't kill part of your harvest if things started growing early enough in spring and reacxhed maturity before the automatic harvest in autumn, or if your farmers didn't waste time during the harvest Wink
Then, why do I have to reduce the fields to a maximum of 9x9, or better yet 8x8, to get them fully harvested, on a regular basis? We're not talking 1-2%, we're talking 10% or more.
"Optimal" size a farmer alone can manage is 120 squares, so 11x11 IF he has housing and storage right next to the fields.

Use the pathing tool (in the tools and report section of the toolbar) to click on each of your fields and see where the farmer lives. Very few of them will be right next to the field they work on. And th en the storage: few of your fields have storage right next to the field. Each extra square your farmer has to walk is a loss in productivity. In some cases your farmer will reach the field, work on just a few tiles and then will be hungry and will have to walk all the way home to eat.

I didn't circle all the housing (red) or storage (blue) but this is what I mean when I say keeping distances short: houses and barns are right next to the fields (or pastures, or fishing docks) so the farmers don't need to go more than a few squares away from their field in general. They'll still sometimes need to go to the market, or go iddle somewhere because they're grumpy, but the avoidable delays are mostly avoided.

This is with The North, and a climate that's roughly equivalent to CC's Very Harsh climate. That's why I've reduced my fields to 7x13 and put 2 farmers on them (I juggle at the start, putting 2 farmers on only for harvest, but once I have enough workers, I no longer do the micro-managing). I still regularly don't get a full harvest because it doesn't get warm enough for things to grow, but everything that does grow gets harvested, usually early enough to send the farmers pick up wild food in the forests.(Wild food also dies when it starts freezing in The North, so wild food vanishes at the time you'd be losing the harvest if it hadn't been finished)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)