Orchards on "CC - Very Harsh"
Hello guys and gals,

I made the mistake ( :D ) of starting a new settlement with the latest Version of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and do have some problems getting Orchards working on my map seed.

Orchards grow naturally and have fruits, however if I do not harvest them manually all food is lost in the autumn seasons.

Is this WAD on my chosen map selection?

Regards,

XSamatan

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2018_07/Untitled.png.db0faa78b1e251420ab4c052a1371d8d.png[/img]

Not sure what you mean by your map "working as designed".  All maps work the same way.  However, crops/orchards grow best in mild climates and have issues with extreme climates.

Orchards do not "grow naturally". You need to plant seeds which come with Easy and Medium starts or are purchased from Merchants that come to a Trading Post. A Farmer is needed to tend the Orchard and harvest the fruit. It takes 3-4 years for an Orchard to mature enough to produce fruit so it isn't a good food source early in the game. I find that I can create 9 x 19 (sometimes larger) Dense Orchards when using a Very Mild Climate and one Farmer can harvest all of the fruits before Winter. When you use a Very Harsh climate, you need to create smaller orchards and/or have another Farmer or two - especially during harvest time. 

Thanks for your response esther!

I do have seeds and initially placed three orchards with varying sizes. The trees grow and after some years bear fruits - however despite having the workers home adjacent no food is harvested. Instead (after temperature falls below 0 °C) the yield display drops back to zero.

Do fruits (here: pears) spoil on the trees if temperature is too low?

Regards,

XSamatan

PS: Great work with all the wiki-pages! Helped a lot [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

This chart tells you the temperature ranges for each climate and the temperature ranges for growing crops and orchards (still valid for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> 1.7): TEMPERATURES IN COLONIAL CHARTER  As you can see, orchards tolerate a high of 140F (60C) and a low of 40F (0C is 32F).  That means you need to pay attention to the temperature and harvest your orchards before the temp drops to 40F even though the yield is less than 0. You can press the Harvest button on the Orchard's info screen. May help to choose Pick-up also so Laborers gather the baskets of fruit and take them to storage. That saves time on the Farmer's part. 

Thank you very much for this clarification, I'll probably scrap the orchards on this map [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'm also trying a very harsh climate (so I hope you don't mind my jumping onto an old thread).  I have no fruit yet aside from berries, and I'd like to know if there's any difference in yield between different types of fruit.  I've noticed that some crops grow faster than others (for example corn seems to grow faster than wheat), so is there a particularly fast-growing fruit?  I'm including all fruits, field or orchard.

This chart shows the temperature ranges that fruit trees and crops grow well in. It also shows the number of seasons it takes for fruit to mature for harvest. It's kinda old, but it is still valid. Temperature Chart

Thanks!  I remembered that the chart gave temperature limits, but I forgot that it had number of seasons to maturity as well.

I'm guessing it would be best to have field fruits that need only two seasons; like strawberries, for example.

I don't actually have anything to add to this particular discussion except to say a big Thank You to <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> for continually answering questions with patience and grace, we don't show appreciation of the moderators very often (on any forum not just this one).

I also wanted to say that this level of interaction with growing cycles and temperature variations for various crops is something that really makes Colonial Charter such a wonderful mod - sophisticated enough to be a challenge but not so complex to make it frustrating. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

n a harsh map temp is going to drop sooner than the fruit can be picked.on a normal map the workers will start in fall to harvest the fruits.fruit will rot because of the cold faster than it is picked. 1 way to gain fruit is to send workers to harvest earlier, say mid to late summer. you will get more fruits than if the workers do it themselves. you should click the pickup box as well.the workers will pick the fruit and the cfrates can be picked up and stored later.

as ESTHERHB pointed out yields will vary depending on their temp requirements. you will have to play with it to find the best sized fields. by forcing them to pick the fruit,the other fruit is still maturing.if the worker goes too fast or starts too early,the fruit on the other end won't mature well.if he goes too late or the field is too big,you will have fruit disappearing from the cold again.

i haven't tested under harsh, but you may find the orchard foresters give more fruit. difference of a round and square orchards. yes takes more workers since you have a forester to do the planting.1 gatherer can work 2 forests.they do not have to be the same fruit.yoiu also get logs. it would be worth the testing.