Help an old lady out :) to mod or not?
Good morning!

I'm not actually that old but definitely at the "oh crap this new technology is making me nervous" stage.  My son recommended Banished to me to scratch that itch I have for town building and strategy without having to join alliances and pay microtransactions - just downloaded it yesterday and already loving it, despite the age of the game. Still some to learn (like why my pasture is just sitting there, or how to get more materials for my tailor), but then stumbled on the mods...

So my question is - should I play vanilla for a while or jump right in to a mod?  What mod do you recommend that is most stable and enriching?
I'd recommend playing without mods for a little bit, to figure out how things work and get a grip on the slightly quirky AI and all the little details that can doom your town if you don't pay attention to them.

Mods can add a lot of variety, giving you a ton of options to get to the same results (basically balancing food/distances/expansion), but the amount of Stuff can be pretty distracting. Knowing how to get a solid town rolling without worries will let you enjoy the awesomness of diving in production chains and adding tons of maybe-not-necessary-but-they're-so-pretty buildings everywhere Big Grin

And I am biased, so I'd recommend Colonial Charter here. There's also a ton of nice mods on WorldOfBanished.com, with lots of "themed" mods that totally change the looks of things, without changing things too much from the vanilla game.
i agree. take some time to get used to some of the game concepts and how the bannies work. figure out the survival aspects. much easier to do iin a un-modded game.

while you are playing the vanilla version,keep notes of what you think is missing from your game. make a list of what you want to have in YOUR game. we are all different. i think a list could help. there are tons of mods. it is easy to get tied into adding all sorts of mods and forget what the goal was. hence my reason for a list.

when u decide to startt adding mods,check out WOB- world of banished.check the tips pages there for some helpful hints. oh and they have awesome town blog pages with good pics of many of the mods.
Ive had the game a while - but found it frustrating when whatever I did they all died!
I would recomend playing until your ppl dont all die within a few years and you are like
I ended up watching a few videos from the steam group about where I was going wrong (building too quickly, too soon)
I added a number of little mods in the last couple of weeks (extra food, butchers etc.)
It has changed the game (dont know why I was so scared of them!) It was my son who insisted after we played minecraft together!
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ive loaded the CC mod and its very complicated - I might have taken a step[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] too far, too quickly[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Big Grin[/font]
CC does take a bit of time to get used to, but the basics remain the same: keep track of food / tools / housing just as you would normally, but with more options to take care of everything your people need. Big Grin