Very large maps with lakes

Hmm, as I seem to recall it, a discussion on another website (World of Banished?) mentioned that DX9 is better for some aspect of ingame graphics but DX11 was better for other things such as load speeds and Alt+Tab use. I don't recall the specifics but it might be worth testing a change to those option settings perhaps, assuming you haven't already done so?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>   I will try DX9 now. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Just hope it doesn't make me crash and lose the current game I am playing [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Will do a save, just in case [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
4 minutes ago, rejectedegg said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>   I will try DX9 now. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Just hope it doesn't make me crash and lose the current game I am playing [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Will do a save, just in case [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Fingers crossed... for both! I can't be certain a change to DX9 will fix the problem but I do recall that there were advantages to be had by using each version

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>  I switched.

It hung (Not Responding) for a few seconds and I almost wet myself   lol

But I am playing now and all seems okay [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Just hope it fixes it.  

Will tell soon being that the game I am currently playing is on a Large Map.

I am persistent, I try a Large Map every once in a while in hopes that I can play one   [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

This is my town so far [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/5850a6d970f11_MyTown.jpg.26b3f6491e572928a333520d04c435d5.jpg" data-fileid="301">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/5850a6d9e45d7_MyTown.thumb.jpg.de107769debb5b9c767d24c46a72a7a1.jpg[/img]</a>

Trying out the Christmas Mod and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> 's Beta of DSSV 2.   And reliving memories of Christmas' Past  by using <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>:NF [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> Nice! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

I have found with DX9 that the loading times seems excessively long, I can start the game and wander off to make a cup of coffee or tea while I wait for it to load, come back, sit down, start drinking and the game still hasn't fully loaded. So yeah, don't be surprised if it seems to take forever or it hangs for a few seconds here and there and even the reload from changing mods in the mod menu takes forever but generally once it has loaded it runs quite well.

I really hope the solution was that simple because I know you wanted to try some of those other map seeds [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>

Indeed I did [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I was getting so jealous of all the beautiful maps <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a> puts out  lol  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

jk

But I did envy those who could play on Large and very Large Maps [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

I am hoping that now I can join those ranks [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> I hope so too, some of those maps are quite nice for a few reasons, some are a challenge because various resources are spread out, some are great for town expansion and some just look cool.

I'm playing Banished right now (surprise surprise) and every time I hear the beep from this forum to announce a new notification I keep thinking "Hope this is not the disappointment message saying the game crashed again" but so far so good. I know with some other games that I have played people switched back from newer versions of Direct X because the older version handled various aspects better than the newer DX versions so I won't be surprised if this is a long term solution for people trying to play the larger map sizes.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blink.png[/img]/emoticons/blink@2x.png 2x" title="O.o" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846347c36aff_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic490.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341c16f5c_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic476.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846347cd7946_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic491.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584633ccce2f8_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic463.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341cb1c1b_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic477.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341d6f454_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic478.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584634be8a574_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic535.png[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/SIGH.thumb.jpg.35851c75a21540291640f510d8466585.jpg[/img]

Quote:
4 hours ago, rejectedegg said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ohmy.png[/img]/emoticons/ohmy@2x.png 2x" title=":o" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blink.png[/img]/emoticons/blink@2x.png 2x" title="O.o" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846347c36aff_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic490.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341c16f5c_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic476.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846347cd7946_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic491.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584633ccce2f8_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic463.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341cb1c1b_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic477.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341d6f454_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic478.png[/img][img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584634be8a574_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic535.png[/img]

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/SIGH.jpg.37a09f01ecae70913242755be216c0cf.jpg" data-fileid="305">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/SIGH.thumb.jpg.35851c75a21540291640f510d8466585.jpg[/img]</a>

Damn. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341cb1c1b_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic477.png[/img]

Well that really sucks. 

Can you load the same game but from a previous save (or the autosave) at all? If so, does the game progress further (before crashing again) than when it crashed previously?

Another thought occurred to me, can you run Large maps without any mods active, without the game crashing? If yes then one of the mods is likely to be the culprit which should mean not much more than getting the latest version of the mod or alternately, getting an older version of the mod that you know ran without causing crashes. I tend to keep older versions of some mods for this particular reason so if you can't find older versions of mods you use I may have a copy.

I see that there is a user called Paeng on the Shining Rock Software website, he suggested some potential fixes for this sort of error although they did involve altering/deleting the registry entries for Banished (which is something I'm always a little antsy about doing). I think we can be reasonably sure it's the same Paeng as here so maybe it's worth asking him for any suggestions on how to fix it.

Do you run in full screen or windowed mode when you're playing? From your screenshots you appear to be running in windowed mode but I don't know if you run it that way or if you just did it for the screenshot. Which ever mode you use, it might be worth trying the other mode.

Are you running the Steam version at all? If yes then you can try verifying the file integrity through the Steam Properties tab, if not he only other thing I can think of is to uninstall and reinstall the game.

The problem you're having seems to have plagued a lot of people and there doesn't seem to be one solution to it but multiple and it appears that they might not actually work for every person. I can't think of anything else to try at the moment except perhaps making a request in the technical help sections here and on World of Banished and so on [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/blink.png[/img]/emoticons/blink@2x.png 2x" title="O.o" width="20" /> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846341c16f5c_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic476.png[/img]