Very large maps with lakes

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9056-tuffdwarf/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9056" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9056-tuffdwarf/">@TuffDwarf</a> Hey there, how's life treating you?

I've been absent from this site for many months but I still check in sometimes (usually without logging in). Like you, I find that lake map quite a challenge, I've actually put it to the side for the moment to check out some new and also updated mods but I need a decent amount of land to work with so yes, the lake map will have to wait. 

I hadn't played Banished for quite a few months but these new/updated mods got me all fired up for it again and naturally I was also looking for interesting map seeds and stumbled across that massive lake map. I think with the various mods that add over-water buildings or maritime related resources, we can really make use of these more unusual maps. Otherwise they'd be too much trouble to be fun (so again, YAY [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img] for the modders - it's modders that have kept me playing Banished as well as other games like Skyrim and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for so many years).

1700 hours! I thought I was doing well with 1200 haha. I kind of envy you having a family member sharing your love of the game. None of my friends or relatives play Banished and if it wasn't for forums like this, I'd have nobody to talk to about it (and share map seeds with haha!) And like you said, it does get under your skin once you boot it up again. I had started a fresh map yesterday evening and all I wanted to do today was get back to that map this morning but I had various appointments today so I had to wait until after midday before I could get back to Banished... and all I could think of on the bus trip home was "Just another 15 minutes and I can get back to the game!"

I had completely forgotten that with my mod collection and using the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> temperate or mild climate options my maps gradually get over-run by blueberries so now I'm hurriedly building lots of foresters to get other plants growing on the map (otherwise the blueberries carpet the map and prevent anything else from growing). As if two or three challenges weren't enough already!

Quote:
23 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9056-tuffdwarf/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9056" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9056-tuffdwarf/">@TuffDwarf</a> Hey there, how's life treating you?

I've been absent from this site for many months but I still check in sometimes (usually without logging in). Like you, I find that lake map quite a challenge, I've actually put it to the side for the moment to check out some new and also updated mods but I need a decent amount of land to work with so yes, the lake map will have to wait. 

Life is just fine .. at present! But at my age, tomorrow might be different.  LOL

When you do decide to play this lake map again, you might have fun with an experiment: change the numbers slightly and see what you get.  For instance ... the original 713809 map seed, if changed by just the last digit to 713808 gives a bigger central island.

Being me, I experimented a bit, going up or down by only one digit at a time, and finding amazing changes. Map seed 712809 was particularly interesting

I didn't have much time to play with the numbers yesterday, it being Thanksgiving, a sacred holiday in the US, ::rolls eyes:: but today the world can go hang while I create another 15 maps! LOL

Got to love those blueberries, though .. make booze and sell it!  I love being able to gather all the flowers and make perfume. And on the right map, getting the wild shepherd to collect 12 or 15 critters for you to exploit.

As you said, the mod makers have made Banished infinitely replayable and so much more fun. I get excited every time anything gets updated. However, I am like a rat terrier with a rat to sniff out when it comes to achievements and find myself going back to get just .. one ... more ....

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9056-tuffdwarf/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9056" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9056-tuffdwarf/">@TuffDwarf</a> Reading your reply gave me a big smile for a few reasons. I've messed about with the seed numbers sometimes to see what would happen (or kept the map seed but changed terrain type or size) so I can really relate to what you were saying about experimenting but it was the comment about sacred holidays that gave me a chuckle [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> And I understand a little bit about prolems with age, my knees have seen over half a century of use and abuse and now I'm paying for it [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

I never actually thought to try adjusting the numbers on that specific map seed, probably because I was so busy rushing off to try out the newest mod that I had found (just like a kid in a candy shop, rushing off to try all the new treats) - Kid's flagpole that gives a template for laying down curved roads http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2702.30 This link goes to page 3 where he has placed a link to the latest version but it's worth reading the previous two pages.

As for the blueberries, I have 4000 of them at the traders and try to buy everything with them, even overpaying the trader just to cut into my supply, I have about 5000 in various warehouses... and there's still hundreds of the damned things growing around my little town so I am constantly collecting them just to let other plants get a chance at growing. I haven't yet got any booze making set up except for mead but I'll have to make it a priority particularly because booze takes less storage space than all those damned berries (and of course, it also sells for a far better price!) However I might just say "See you later" to the blueberries and try for a bigger island on that lake map. Hmm what should I do, what should I do... Just as you said: -

Quote:
On 11/22/2018 at 9:55 AM, TuffDwarf said:

Banished really is one of those games that gets under your skin and won't let go.

So true!

if you have too many blueberries you can try some other mods that will give  more optiions.not a will wor at the same time but we can get some nice combinations.

mod        items added or altered

vanilla-"blue"berries,onion,roots,mushrooms;trees-logs;stone;iron;deer hunted;herbs

new flora-wild oats,flax,honey,wild rose

<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>-ducks hunted;iron ore replaces iron;hunting will produce feathers and bonemeal;reeds

pine-cranberries,chanterelles,fiddleheads; trees-maple sap,apples,pine-boughs,resin;eggs;flax;furs;game;pelts;

nat div-thatch

RK- thatch-fodder,flowers;copper ore; bison,ducks-pheasnt,geese,turkey, and duck,,bear,elk,wild boar,hare,

strawberries,mulberries,rasberries,blackberries, firewood,seedlings,

NORTH-reindeer give deer hides,grouse hunted as chickens;honey;firewood;furs trapper;fish-salmon and trout; iron bloom;gold and silver

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RK:the trees spawn mushrooms, onion, roots, blueberries and herbs (and deadwood)

the flowers spawn strawberries, raspberries, mulberries, blackberries, cranberries and bird nests. (and now seedlings)

the grass spawns the flowers

ND:meadows will spawn herbs, roots and onions. The latter two no longer spawn in the forest, as this is not their natural habitat.

Mushrooms will grow naturally in the forest, ,erbs both,die off below freezing,

I'm already using most of those because I'm using MegaMod.

The problem I have is that my combination of mods causes an overspawn of blueberries if I choose any of the mild climates on any map size/terrain/start condition. It always occurs with the mild climates, if a climate condition causes snow then the berry spawn is "normal". The same situation happened to someone else, if I remember correctly it was someone from this forum.

do remember there being acode issue with the blueberries. it seems to be a juggle for the modders between too many spawning or too few growing in crop fields. the <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> adds many things at once but you might be able to add a mod above it to offset it.the pine mod should slow down the blueberries since it would add other items to the random spawning.

it is neat to play with and see what different combinations we get. different mods together and mod order can give good and bad combinations. my mod order now blocks the scattered firewood. by moving a mod higher in the order,my houses burn grass better to mae up for that. tweak my mod order each time usually just a couple mods.  the gathering options continue to improve and change.