Temperatures in Colonial Charter
List of temperatures used in Colonial Charter.

[Image: p3AkebC.png]

Can you explain what specifically the "Tolerance" and "Variance" columns on the climate chart mean? I'm assuming it has something to do with how much and how frequently the temperatures go outside the base range, but can you tell me which is which?

I don't really have a great answer for that.  The modkit and code are very lacking in helpful documentation.

Code:
    // base range for temperature over the year
    float _baseTemperature = 50.0;
    float _temperatureRange = 30.0;
    float _temperatureTolerance = 5.0;

// normal distribution range of base temperature change (biyearly?)
    float _temperatureVariance = 40.0;

That's the code for the "Fair" climate temperatures.  The base is 50 with a range of 30, so that gives it a 80-20 range.  I don't know what the difference between the Tolerance and Variance is.  The comment would seem to indicate that the Variance is somehow related to the base temperature, so maybe the Tolerance is related to the range?  I'm not sure. That is 100% of the information that's given about it in the modkit.

Thanks for the info. Is it maybe saying that the temperature usually stays within 30 (range value) of the base temp, but has a chance to be up to 40 (variance value) away from the base? And if that's the case, maybe the tolerance value has something to do with the probability that the temperature will lie outside the range value at a given time. *shrugs* Not that it's that important, but now I'm curious. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

EDIT: Hmm, except that interpretation wouldn't make sense for the "warm arid" and "mild" climates, because the variance values on those are smaller than the range would be.

Staying on topic of temperature but shifting it to the Bannies themselves, when does the game decide its time for a Banny to freeze or stave to death? Based off of seasons or a years time?

I think the freezing to death is based on how long they've been away from a house with fuel during certain temperatures, though I'm not sure specifically what temperature it starts to become relevant. If they're too far away from a warm house and can't get there before a timer goes, they freeze. The timer is longer the warmer the coat they have. Starving is similar; if their house is too far away from where they are working when they get hungry, they'll starve before they can get home (assuming that there is actually food available to them, of course, either at their home or in a storage barn or market).

I never bothered to pay to much attention to it other then , I know it happens. But when starvation icons show up I never know who was first and how long they can go without before they kick. Obviously, freezing to death depends on the climate you choose as well, even in a desert I have had them freeze to death at 50, it just took longer for them to get that point. Curious what the actual time is to get more food/firewood before meeting the golden llama. Definitely gotta be some numbers out there.

Assuming this chart to still be valid for the latest <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>...

Well THAT explains why my carrot fields never do well! I was starting to think it was a bug (but of course that never happens...). Then I realized the temps consistently get into the 100s (tropical climate) and found this thread. Carrots don't do well above 90. I normally play mild climates, so wasn't even thinking about the temperature, to tell the truth. I'm going to have to get me some new crops...

So glad this chart is available! Thanks!

Is is just me or is there no chart link here anymore? I just see code.
It's not just you. There's lots of broken image around.

Should be fixed now. It says it's for CC 1.6, but it should be accurate for CC 1.76 Journey, also.