Plantation

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:medium;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;">
This is a special type of crop field, designed to be planted with "cash crops;" those that are high value, non edible, and used to make other products - such as Cotton and Tobacco.  Most of these are categorized as Miscellaneous.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:medium;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;">
Instead of using the Food Limit to determine whether a crop should be harvested, the Plantation looks at the Textile Limit.  If you plant these cash crops in a crop field and your food limit is reached, the regular crop field will not be harvested. However, if you plant them in a Plantation Field they will be harvested as long as the Textile Limit hasn't been reached.

Crops that we recommend planting in Plantation Fields include:

<ul style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:medium;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;">[*]
Bamboo

[*]
Canola

[*]
Cotton

[*]
Flax

[*]
Hemp

[*]
Sugar Cane

[*]
Tobacco

</ul>

View full article

Plantations are terrific. They are a pleasant visual contrast to regular fields. I also use mine for coffee beans, hops, and grains that are not edible until they are processed for bakery (milled into flour).

are the foods that are planted in a plantation automatically non-edible?? or would they still be ate by the banis prior to being processed? or do we need the in-edible mods to complete this idea?

Whether or not something is edible or inedible is set by the resource itself, not the thing that creates it.

Producing something in the Plantation or the Crop Field will not change a single thing about the actual thing that is produced.

The Plantation is just there so that you can grow things that aren't foods, and won't be constrained by the Food Limit. But there's no way, in the code, to actually limit the choices of the seeds available.  But even if you grow Wheat in the Plantation, it will the exact same wheat that is grown in the Crop Field. Exactly the same.

Ques:  So I can't stop my Banis eating the Corn (Barley, Oats & Wheat) that I want to grow for the Stables then?

Without adding the above mod?

I want to have 2 fields, side by side, both Corn (BOW).  1 field goes to the stable, the other, then Banis can eat.

It won't matter which I field I plant it in, both fields will be eaten?

Quote:
23 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

It won't matter which I field I plant it in, both fields will be eaten?

Correct. The plantation won't change the edibility of the food.

I learned the same thing during my first Bonkers for Bakeries trial. I thought I hit the jackpot when a grain (sorghum) was my map's first preferred crop, since they seem to yield more, or am I imagining that maps 'like' their first preferred crop (the one in orange at the top of the list)?

But during the lean years my flour mills and bakeries had nothing to work with because folks were eating the grain direct. I don't think there's a way around it. I tried using the resource depot to keep folks from eating the grain, but even then when I release it for the mills, folks would eat it.

I thought I read a long time ago that some grains are inedible until processed - and that flour is also inedible until turned into baked goods - but a couple grain crops (corn, sorghum) can be eaten without milling, as we do IRL. But now I can't find anything on the intertubes about this...  If it is still true, I would happily turn half my sorghum fields to wheat to help keep my flour production up even when food is generally more scarce. (Usually due to me plopping too many houses at once and having to scramble to keep up when they have their mini-baby-booms.)

If true, could you also give your stables a type of grain that folks wouldn't eat raw?

Have you had a look at the Inedible Foods mods?

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/files/category/12-inedible-foods/

Ques:  <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a>, can this mod be added in "later", so that my corn fields help sustain the newly developing townies, but when I'm ready to start using it for feeding my stables, I can then "Enable" the mod, and voila, the Bannies stop eating, and my stables can use the corn.

Also, when it comes to the production, that means that my Market BBQ & Market Soup will still be able to use the Beef & the Onions, but the Bannies can't use the Onions direct from storage.

But they can eat the final product:  Meat Soup

This way I can stop them eating all the onions, but still feed them with better food?

Yes. Most likely.

I never really tested this completely thoroughly, but from past experience, the game doesn't like to change already existing thing midgame.  Like if you have a storage barn, and then you enable Ridiculous Storage to increase the storage size, it won't affect an already built barn, but it will affect a brand new barn.

So, I don't know if the inedible foods mods will affect food that is already stored in the barn.

It will absolutely affect newly harvested food, and make it inedible, so you can use it in some production chains. But I'm not 100% sure about already existing foodstuffs.