Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods

Quote:
On 12/7/2016 at 5:13 AM, KevinTheCynic said:

I'm one of those people who likes the town building genre but gets a bit annoyed at having to meet game goals to proceed. As much as I enjoyed/still enjoy Sim City, Cities XL, Cities XXL and Cities: Skylines, they all suffer from this concept - reach a certain milestone before new buildings/facilities/resources get unlocked.

Banished was almost a dream come true because it did not have those restrictions in place, I played it for a while but because I got into the game some time after it was released, mods had started to appear. I'm not one who really cares about the achievements that are so popular these days in games and game providers like Steam, frankly the achievements seem to be completely pointless to me. So when it comes to having the achievements or having the mods, the mods win every time... every... single... time!

I had already been using mods very early in my game time with Banished and then I discovered Colonial Charter. More buildings, more crops, more animals, more decorations. It was wonderful. Then I found the Fountain Mod, New Medieval Town, Lots Of Seeds, Small Village, Rowhouses and more so I could get a much greater variety and the diversity of buildings I wanted. I now have a few mods that are in every town I start, for me there is no choice, they are "must have" mods.

I don't have a single achievement listed for Banished, but I got a lot of mods and Colonial Charter is the core around which every other mod revolves!

Well Said [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Yeah, I don't care for "achievement" unlockers either...

I did like the (original) Banished achievements though - basically they're just an extended tutorial...

I keep recommending them to new players even today  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
On 12/7/2016 at 5:13 AM, KevinTheCynic said:

...I'm not one who really cares about the achievements that are so popular these days in games and game providers like Steam, frankly the achievements seem to be completely pointless to me...

Amen!

I didn't even know vanilla Banished had achievements!  That in itself shows how much attention I give that particular game mechanic.

Well, I am a real resource fanatic. I loved banished because instead of having a generic vegetables, fruit, and meat resource you actually had cabbages, peaches, beef, and venison. Yes beef and mutton are both meat, but raising sheep and cows are two different types of endeavor. Not to mention it adds flavor to your town, because instead of every town you have growing "vegetables" and importing "fruit" you can say, we grow walnuts here and supplement that with cabbages and peppers. (The chef in me also has fun trying to figure out what kind of cuisine my people are eating.)

Going back to vanilla <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> it nearly drove me nuts when I remembered "oh right, milk isn't a thing here."

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="153" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/">@Feneris</a> I like that too. I love towns that survive the early years on an apple economy (for example). 

Quote:
On 12/8/2016 at 11:59 PM, Paeng said:

Yeah, I don't care for "achievement" unlockers either...

I did like the (original) Banished achievements though - basically they're just an extended tutorial...

I keep recommending them to new players even today  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Ah that's quite interesting Paeng, I never bothered with the Banished achievements for reason mentioned above so because I haven't checked them, it didn't occur to me that they might be a sort of tutorial.  

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="153" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/">@Feneris</a> <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> For me this a big drawcard for including <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> to my mod list, I love having the extra seeds and animals and the resources animals provide. I must admit to finding the extra resources activates some sort of "collector" mentality in me because I often focus on getting the widest range of foods that I can for the town rather than focusing on building a good looking city etc. etc.

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for all your hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

And this is why we all love you guys. To echo the common sentiment - I would not have had anywhere near as much fun playing vanilla as I do with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and the Megamod. Can't tell you how awesome it is that you guys are as invested in the game as you are, and that your mods continue to just get better and better.

Thank you all so much for your hard work and efforts. You have truly taken this game to the next level.