the Bad side of town

Quote:

<div style="table-layout:fixed;width:1040px;margin-bottom:20px;margin-top:0px;font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(251,251,251);">
<p style="margin-top:0px;">
Regarding brothel and similar. We appreciate the historical accuracy, and even if we wanted it we can't get it added to <abbr style="border-bottom:1px dotted;" title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr> or <abbr style="border-bottom:1px dotted;" title="MegaMod">mm</abbr>. Reason is to avoid the mods breaking steam workshop agreements.

</div>

That's actually why I suggested this. I love banished and how accurate it feels with the time but I feel it lacks this aspect of it. I do get that a lot of people wont be so keen on this type of addition though so a seperate mod would be best. I think that whether they are functional or just decorations the addition will add a new feel to the game.

We were talking about a brothel, when we were talking dock/sailor related buildings, like a year ago. I even made the 3D model for it, and called it a bawdyhouse alternatively a "bath" house. But yeah, a lot of people spoke out against the representation of or the hint to prostitution, so we scrapped it.

I totally agree that they should be available as a separate mod so that people can choose to use it or choose to ignore it. That way the Nanny State devotees can pat themselves on the back thinking that they've done a fine job of protecting the world from immorality and the rest of us can enjoy expanding the game.

Warning: Rant Ahead.

Frankly it annoys the hell out of me when people want to shut down these sorts of mods simply because they don't approve of something in them (it's as though they are propelled by a need to deny any of the "bad" parts of history). If they don't like it, they don't have to use it, the choice is theirs. They don't seem to have any problems with pirates (and anyone with half a brain knows that pirates didn't go around spreading peace, love and puppy-dogs) but they rail against anything that might suggest prostitution!

One idea would be a set of theater or "culture" buildings. You could have a range of styles from opera house and theater to dance hall or speakeasy. Not sure what affect they would have. Could be another version of the taverns or maybe like the churches.

Quote:
4 hours ago, Raerae said:

One idea would be a set of theater or "culture" buildings. You could have a range of styles from opera house and theater to dance hall or speakeasy. Not sure what affect they would have. Could be another version of the taverns or maybe like the churches.

Yeah, just buildings that don't produce stuff or require workers. People just like to hang around them in their spare time to feel good, and you mostly use them to decorate your town, and  give the town a sense of, you know, having culture. Though I don't think you will find any "refined" culture in the "bad side of town", like operas or whatever. You could probably find speakeasies - if this was a Prohibition-era mod which is when speakeasies were common. But I get you, a shady-looking illicit booze-selling establishment. In short, a poor man's tavern. It's pretty much the first thing anyone thinks of when we are talking about a "bad side of town".

Quote:
12 hours ago, Raerae said:

Oh I really like this idea.

In regards to a "poor man's tavern" I think we could take a look at some of the other food & drink providers for inspiration. I vaguely recall that in Britain during some part of the medieval era, taverns & inns could not serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. Only travellers staying at the inn/tavern could drink alcohol on site, the locals had to take it home after buying it. There was also the situation that a lot of villagers paid the rent to their local lord in the form of beer or ale, the peasants were not allowed to drink or sell their best beer because they had to use it to pay the rent.

There was also a trade in food from people's own homes because food shops as we known them didn't exist in villages or small towns. People made their own meals from what they grew, bartered for or bought at market and if they had extra meals available they would often sell them and this was commonly done from a suitable window in the house. The original drive-thru window or in this case, walk-thru!

So with that idea, a "tavern" in the shady side of town could be a normal house, a workshop or even a storehouse that's selling booze to anyone who stops by.

What you say is true, but I would prefer to do something more unique since there are many versions of what you suggest in other mods, ( I use <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> ). Is it a good use of resources to duplicate the very good buildings from other mods?

It might be more interesting to add decorative elements to customize buildings, or even to change textures of existing buildings and add a few elements to achieve the same effect. We must remember that we have no control on how villagers react, and some research, ( by modders ) shows things like happiness are very difficult to influence with the tools we have. One thing to consider is to play with names of buildings to get around moral concerns and still achieve a similar effect, idling and a happiness, or unhappiness range for "Lily's home for girls" for example, how you see that is up to you.

Also considering entertainment buildings as being part of the "bad" side of town is to impose puritan values on a mod, not something that fits my French colonies. But I do agree that entertainment buildings is something lacking in this mod, and not necessarily the "bad" type, nothing wrong with a dancing/party barn.  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/5846347f69072_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic495.png[/img]

You raise a good point and I should have been more specific about what I was thinking. I don't think we should just copy another building and change its function to a tavern, I think we should have visually different buildings but the tavern from the bad side of town could look similar to a house or warehouse in general shape and size.

Is it possible for a building to have TWO area of effect radii? Like if a jail or a guillotine has a small negative ring (bad to look at and experience) but also a large positive ring (good for the wider community)?

Ps: I'm not trying to advocate for the death penalty, I'm just considering game mechanics.