And so, it begins....

Quote:
49 minutes ago, cainacol12 said:

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a> told you to play with caution lol

For the school problem you could wait until they all graduate but if your really in a pinch you can close the school (i.e turning off the work button) and all of the children will imediantly become laborers. 

plus side: you get your workers up quickly and you can fix it if you have been to quick to build a school before your ready (I'm guilty of this a lot of the time)

Down side: all those children will not be educated when they go back to the work force so you end up wasting the time you spent starting their education and still having the problem of uneducated workers.

Things to consider:

• I only do this when absolutely needed.

• If you have more than one school they will first move to the other school if it has avalible spaces. If there are not enough spaces they will fill the empty spots and then go to be laborers.

• A strategy I like to use ,now that its avalible to me, is to build the mini school (holds 5 students ) for early game. This get filled very quickly and then any other children will go directly to laborers. This gives you a pretty good balance of educated and uneducated laborers going into the mix. You end up getting the workers you need to maintain early growth while still having some students being educated and lessening the education gap.

hope all this info helps.

Actually, it does help.  Currently, I only have 1 student (I built it very early)!

I don't know why I didn't consider closing it as I've closed other buildings, depending upon the season and their stock.

Thanks.  I'll do it as soon as I start up the game again.

As Cainacol said - you waste the time already spent on education... plus the kids who leave school will never return, so be uneducated for the rest of their life... it's really a "last resort" measure, I'd always see first if there are other professions that you can reassign temporarily, e.g. fishermen or gatherers, or even a blacksmith or a tailor or such (who can do other stuff for quite some time before tools or clothes are really depleted)...[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

It seems like there are a few "gotcha's" which are getting me!  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584633cc30e58_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic462.png[/img]

For example, I created a second storage area, then changed my mind and removed it.  No harm, no foul.  But, thinking better of it, I re-added it in the exact same position.

The area has been marked for two years now and my laborers are sitting around the water cooler, idle!  Work has not begun on the storage area and it looks like it won't.  I tried making it top priority, but that made no difference either.  I temporarily changed all laborers to builders, then back, but this didn't help.

Is this a known problem?  Are there more I should be aware of?  And finally, does <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> fix things like this situation?  Are there known tricks to fix these things?

Thanks guys, you'll have been a great help so far.

Quote:
15 minutes ago, Trasd said:

I created a second storage area, then changed my mind and removed it.  No harm, no foul.  But, thinking better of it, I re-added it in the exact same position.

Not really a known problem... did you wait for it to be completely demolished, or did you try to re-build it while demolishing was still going on? If so, you might have just "confused the system"...[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

Quote:
1 minute ago, Paeng said:

Not really a known problem... did you wait for it to be completely demolished, or did you try to re-build it while demolishing was still going on? If so, you might have just "confused the system"...[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

Clearing the land never even began the first time - I may have even had the game paused when I did the first create\destroy cycle.

Yes, everything was destroyed because it had never begun.

I think I'm going to remove it again, but when I recreate it, I'll make the size and or position different.  This might be enough to signal to the engine that work needs to be done at that location; I hope!

Thanks.

Quote:
37 minutes ago, Trasd said:

It seems like there are a few "gotcha's" which are getting me!  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/584633cc30e58_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic462.png[/img]

For example, I created a second storage area, then changed my mind and removed it.  No harm, no foul.  But, thinking better of it, I re-added it in the exact same position.

The area has been marked for two years now and my laborers are sitting around the water cooler, idle!  Work has not begun on the storage area and it looks like it won't.  I tried making it top priority, but that made no difference either.  I temporarily changed all laborers to builders, then back, but this didn't help.

Is this a known problem?  Are there more I should be aware of?  And finally, does <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> fix things like this situation?  Are there known tricks to fix these things?

Thanks guys, you'll have been a great help so far.

OK, I figured it out!

It was simply my lack of experience and woefully wanting management skills.  I threw the time scale up to 10x and waited.  2 years later, they got around to it, though they piled resources all around the village, first!  I still need to get to know the game better.  Nuance is everything, I'm guessing....

I need to take it slower, I think, and not create a backlog of projects for my people!

Yes, taking your time is a good idea... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

For that, playing at x10 is not a good idea... I have thousands of hours, and I never play at x10, not even x5.

Opposed to what others may say, I recommend to play the vanilla achievements - not to get the achievements, but they are a good way to learn the ins and outs of Banished - like an extended tutorial. Once you have "won" the Mountain Men, you probably know all about food shortages, assigning jobs and controlling population growth. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

Welcome to the Life of Banished [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Quote:
51 minutes ago, Paeng said:

Yes, taking your time is a good idea... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

For that, playing at x10 is not a good idea... I have thousands of hours, and I never play at x10, not even x5.

Opposed to what others may say, I recommend to play the vanilla achievements - not to get the achievements, but they are a good way to learn the ins and outs of Banished - like an extended tutorial. Once you have "won" the Mountain Men, you probably know all about food shortages, assigning jobs and controlling population growth. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

I played at 1x and plan on sticking to that.  I threw it up 10x only to see what was going to happen with the stockpile!  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

I didn't even save it at that point because to me, 10x made me miss too much.  But, now I know what to fix.

Quote:
1 hour ago, Paeng said:

and I never play at x10, not even x5

I dont know if I could do a full game at x2. I think I would go crazy!! Challenge accepted!!! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f7a8c46d_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic570.png[/img]