All About Livestock

<p style="margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;">
To raise livestock, you need a Pasture and a Herdsman. The minimum size for a pasture is 7 by 7 and the maximum size is 30 by 30.

Following is a list of the livestock that are available, showing what each produces. Those marked with an asterisk (*) are from original Banished.  The number of squares needed per animal is given along with the price of one animal at the trading post. This is the regular price - if you order a particular type of livestock from a trader, you will be charged a higher price!

Variations on the pasture include the <span><span style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;">fenceless pasture</span></span> and the <span><span style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;">slope conforming pasture</span></span>. 

<b>Beef Cows
</b> (brown)<b>:</b>

• <li style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt;">
    Purchase Price:  800
    </li>
    <li style="margin:0in 0in .0001pt;">
    Space per Animal:  20; a 10 by 20 pasture will hold 10 Beef Cows
    </li>
    Produces: Leather, Beef and Bonemeal when slaughtered (note that Beef Cows age faster than Fresian Cows so they produce more Beef; however they do not produce Milk.)
    </li>
Bison

Purchase Price: 800
    </li>
    Space per Animal: 20; a 10 by 20 Pasture will hold 10 Bison
    </li>
    Produces: Leather, <span>Bison Meat and Bonemeal when slaughtered</span>
    </li>
Chickens
* (brown): 

Purchase Price: 400
    </li>
    Space per Animal:  6; a 7 by 9 Pasture will hold 10 Chickens.
    </li>
    Produces:  Eggs; when slaughtered, produces Feathers and Chicken meat. Chickens produce more eggs than Leghorns, but less meat.
    </li>
Deer

Purchase Price:  600
    </li>
    Space per Animal:  16; a 10 by 16 Pasture will hold 10 Deer
    </li>
    Produces:  Leather, Venison and Bonemeal when slaughtered
    </li>
<b>Friesian Cows</b>
* (black and white)

Purchase Price: 800
    </li>
    Space per Animal: 20; a 10 by 20 Pasture will hold 10 Friesians
    </li>
    Produces: Milk; when slaughtered, produces Leather, Beef and Bonemeal. Note that Beef Cows, who don't give Milk, age faster so they produce more Beef.
    </li>
<span><b>Horses</b>
</span>

Purchase Price:  800
    </li>
    Space per Animal:  20; a 10 x 20 pasture will hold 10 Horses
    </li>
    Produces:  Leather, Cheval and Bonemeal when slaughtered (note that the Horses for Trade mod available at Kralyerg's Kave of Krazy Kontraptions, will allow you to use Horses for trade instead of food)
    </li>
Leghorns
 (white):

Purchase Price 400
    </li>
    Space per Animal:  6; a 7 by 9 Pasture will hold 10 Leghorns
    </li>
    Produces:  Eggs; when slaughtered, produces Feathers and Chicken meat. Because they age faster than Chickens, they produce more meat; however they produce fewer eggs.
    </li>
Llamas

Purchase Price: 600
    </li>
    Space per Animal: 16; a 10 by 16 Pasture will hold 10 Llamas
    </li>
    Produces:  Wool; when slaughtered produces Charki (llama meat) and Bonemeal.
    </li>
Pigs

Purchase Price: 550
    </li>
    Space per Animal:  16; a 10 by 16 Pasture will hold 10 Pigs
    </li>
    Produces: Leather, Pork and Bonemeal when slaughtered.
    </li>
Sheep

Purchase Price: 600
    </li>
    Space per Animal:  16; a 10 by 16 Pasture will hold 10 Sheep
    </li>
    Produces:  Wool; when slaughtered produces Mutton and Bonemeal
    </li>

Each of these have a <span>Butcher that will turn their meat into and Meat Cuts, Tallow for your Chandlery, and Sausage (Bacon if Pigs). The Smokehouse (introduced in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>:CotGL) will turn pork into bacon, other meats into jerky, as well as make smoked cheeses and smoked fish. The Saltery produces a variety of salted meats and the Soup Tinnery uses meats to produce Soup. Leather is used at the Tailor or the Clothier, and feathers are used by the bedding maker.</span>

View full article

I have tried leghors (chickens) and pigs. Neither grew more than 1. For the pigs I even had 2 herders incase something was eating them. Do I need oats for them? I just got cows and I'm afraid I will kill them.

Once you buy the animal, is it yours even if they die? In other games like Forest Village life is fuedal- if your animals get killed, you just destroy the pasture and start a new pasture and you get 1 new animal. Is it the same here?

Thanks

If you select an Easy start, you get 8 livestock. Best to always put them in a pasture that holds at least 10 animals - the minimum amount to be able to split a herd.  If you don't start with any livestock, you need to buy some from a Merchant at the Trading Post. Best to already have an empty pasture to put them in because if the animals are left at the Trading Post too long, they will start to die. Then when you move them to the pasture, they may still die.  I would try to buy at least 4 animals although 2 is sometimes enough to get started. Keep in mind you can always buy more of that same livestock to go into the pasture if there's room.

You don't need Oats or any other "feed". One Herdsman should be fine as long as your pasture size holds 10-20 animals - maybe more.

I always start medium.

I don't do anything to move them. Is that where it goes wrong? Do I have to go into the inventory of the trader to move them?

I have had success with my cows, thankfully.

But why did my chickens and pigs die?

i build a small holding pen near the trade post. this is a way to keep them while a pasture is cleared. when you click on the pasture there is a "?" for the animal,you need to select the type based on what you have. click the "?" mark and there will be a list.then set a worker,be sure he goes to the pasture.depending on mods he might go elsewhere. it does take some time for the animals to move themself but the count on the pasture menu should show the # of animals. even 1 animal will breed.soon you will have more.the herdsman will collect eggs and milk. the pasture will have to fill up before you see meat and leather.

animals will die if there is no worker for a long time or if you buy them and don't allot a pasture to them.1 worker can handle large pastures of 30x30.

be advised this info pertains to regular animals in pastures. there are also "domestic animals" required to build some buildings, trade animals, as well as a chicken,goats,rabbits pens and cow sheds.those do function differently.i won't even try to confuse you with how many "cow" types  there is by now.

Quote:
11 hours ago, floristbeth said:

I always start medium.

I don't do anything to move them. Is that where it goes wrong? Do I have to go into the inventory of the trader to move them?

I have had success with my cows, thankfully.

But why did my chickens and pigs die?

When you buy livestock, you need to build a Pasture, assign a Herdsman to it and choose which kind of livestock will live there. The animals will eventually walk into the Pasture.  If you have a Pasture that is partially filled and you buy more of the same livestock, they will join the others in that Pasture as long as there is room.

Livestock get old an die. If you leave them at the Trading Post too long, they will die. If you move them after they have been at the Trading Post a long time, they may be old and die before they have babies. So, it's a good idea to have an empty Pasture already built. If you don't know how big it should be, take a look at this calculator GO HERE.  Like Styles mentions, it's not a bad idea to have a small (10x10?) Pasture where you can put your livestock while you build a bigger Pasture.

Hope that helps.

What is the bonemeal used for (other than trade)?

According to the Wiki entry on Bonemeal: "<span>The Apothecary
</span> makes 
<span>healing poultices
</span> using 
<span>honey
</span> 
+<span> </span><span>bonemeal
</span> 
+<span> </span><span>cloth.  The Tropical Warehouse uses Bonemeal to grow tropical fruit."  I think there's a lot more Bonemeal generated than you would use for those purposes so the excess would be traded.
</span>

With a Wild Things map, there are every kind of livestock just walking around... can I not corral them into a pasture?

Are they just for hunters?

I first said "Yep, they're just for hunters." but that's misleading.  Animals that are actually walking around such as deer (or Bison in the Frontier start) can be hunted by hunters. In the Wild Things map, the animals are not moving. All of these, and the other foods found on the map, can be gathered by Laborers when you highlight them using the gather wild foods tool.  The only animals you can put in a pasture are those you buy from a merchant who visits the trading post or animals from another pasture.