Fatal acces violation

Just a thought, I've not had any crashes with the game since getting a new laptop. However, I did get a few in the modkit version since building mods. Now, some of these are due to errors in my coding, however I noticed you mentioned that you switched to look at a photo while playing the game and upon return it had crashed... well try that again. A few of the crashes I had in the mod kit were due to that reason it seemed (or at least the coincided), to the extent that when I load up a mod to test it I wouldn't dare switch the screen to something else, even just to check. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes it certainly doesn't like it.

Quote:
5 minutes ago, Necora said:

Just a thought, I've not had any crashes with the game since getting a new laptop. However, I did get a few in the modkit version since building mods. Now, some of these are due to errors in my coding, however I noticed you mentioned that you switched to look at a photo while playing the game and upon return it had crashed... well try that again. A few of the crashes I had in the mod kit were due to that reason it seemed (or at least the coincided), to the extent that when I load up a mod to test it I wouldn't dare switch the screen to something else, even just to check. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes it certainly doesn't like it.

And you are most likely on a right path here <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>.

The page I switched to was ran using flash. Because it is Interactive.

When I loaded up the save to try to see if I could reproduce the crash I did not open that page on my browser to view the picture.

Later when I had exited Banished for a few minutes, I went and opened the page I referred to above and took a screenshot of it , pasted it in to Paint and now I open it with Windows Picture Viewer.

I was actually able to play and build more on my map and at the same time I had the picture open the way I described in the sentence above this one.  Albeit it was minimized.  I was looking at it to study details then I would minimize it.  

As of right the last time I had Banished open I had not had a repeat Crash.

I however have not reopened the game yet because I had a very serious life event happen about 40 minutes ago.

Hey <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> I am going to make a big assumption and say that <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> is more than likely not the problem. I can very well believe that with the amount of work required to merge all those mods into one cohesive whole, it would have needed to be stress tested quite thoroughly and there's been many people using it who haven't reported the problem that you have been having.

Now whether it plays nice with another mod is another question entirely! I too use a number of the mods you do (I'm not running <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> tho) such as the Washing Mod, Christmas Mod but I don't even recall what the Secret Mod is let alone use it haha. As we all know Load Order is critical but again, this doesn't appear to be the problem with your set of mods as far as I can tell (but hey, I ain't an expert lol)

For what it's worth I do not believe that your computer is at fault here, you mentioned you can play many other games without issue and this particular situation is a know problem specific to Banished for many people. My computer was built as a gaming system and it sounds like mine is a year or two older than yours, as mentioned elsewhere I have the NVIDIA GTX 670 card while you're running the GTX 760. I too am running about 120 mods or more and I did suffer some game crashes in the past but they have not happened again for many many months unless I have been trying a new mod that is badly programmed or generally incompatible with another mod I am using.

However I am running the "modder's" version that <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a> mentioned AKA Beta test for version 1.0.5 (and I have Build 1139875 for what that's worth) although I am running the Steam version of the game. If you're not using this Beta version you can download the non-Steam patch to update it from here http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/2015-...betabuild/ If you aren't running the Beta, this could potentially be the source of your problem as it specifically addressed issues with compiling Shaders through the Video DX9 (or DX11) GL.dlls which I think is the dlls you're having problems with via the the Access Violation if I remember right.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>  Being as how you posted this right about the same time I posted my Status Message, I will respond to it.

I don't think it's <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>.

I don't hink it's any of the mods I am using.

I think it's just my crappy luck. 

Anything that can go wrong , seems to always find it's way to me.

Sad but true, such is the case here.

I will just have to continue to play Banished for what ever time the game will allow me to and deal with it. 

First, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a>, it is (probably) not your system, it is the game.  Too many people are reporting the same issue.

An access violation has many causes that are not related to a specific system.  This can be anything from a null pointer to improper memory management.  It's not even necessarily the programmers fault, it could be the compiler or even the OS.

Also, if you look at Shining Rock Software's known issues, you will see there are a lot of problems, many (many), unresolved.

For number 2 above, there is a modder's version of the game that is different than the "release" version.  This is a special version that exposes more for programmers, like BL.

The more I dig into this, the less likely I think it can be resolved (without Shunning Rock's involvement - typo, or not [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/laugh@2x.png 2x" title="xD" width="20" />).

The reason it didn't crash when you did the same thing from your saved game is because the exact same conditions were not met.  To us, mere humans, it seems random, but it probably isn't.

I believe, looking at the known issue list, the game should not have been abandoned by its creator so soon.  Maybe we can talk him into releasing the code as open source, but I doubt he would....

For now, try cutting back on the graphic settings.  Use bilinear textures with no anisotropics.  Modern computer monitors are so hires nowadays, anisotropic is rarely even needed anymore.

I have a crappy laptop (I haven't loaded it on my desktop as I can't sit at it very long without hurting) and I don't get crashes (yet?)!  I play large maps, but haven't gotten near as far as you guys.  Many of my settings are set to medium, or below.  It still looks good, though.

Let me know how this goes....

Sorry guys, it's been a long day.  I'm sure I probably meant antialiasing, not anisotropics (this is usually a driver setting\customization)!  I'll load the game tomorrow and check the actually game settings.  By now, you'd think I would have learned not to go by memory (yea, I'm that old)!

My theory is that it's a memory problem with the video.  I'll try to put together a little guide on each of the settings and what they do.  The idea would be to get the best possible graphics with the lowest memory consumption.

If my theory is correct, it will not alleviate the fatal access errors, but it will certainly minimize them.  If it doesn't help, I know I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Give me a few days (holidays and all plus, we have a wedding and graduation in the family, before Christmas!)....

Quote:
12 hours ago, Trasd said:

Also, if you look at Shining Rock Software's known issues, you will see there are a lot of problems

Well, I would mention though that the posts in that forum are mostly from 2014, shortly after initial release... and the dev has since adressed a number of issues in a number of updates.

I've run Banished on two different rigs and on my (sub-standard) laptop quite problem-free for almost 3 years now, and intensely so. Sure I had some spooky moments, too - but nothing that could not be solved one way or the other... all in all the bug-history for Banished seems pretty low-level to me... maybe exempting Steam, but that's a different story. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
1 hour ago, Paeng said:

Well, I would mention though that the posts in that forum are mostly from 2014, shortly after initial release... and the dev has since adressed a number of issues in a number of updates.

I've run Banished on two different rigs and on my (sub-standard) laptop quite problem-free for almost 3 years now, and intensely so. Sure I had some spooky moments, too - but nothing that could not be solved one way or the other... all in all the bug-history for Banished seems pretty low-level to me... maybe exempting Steam, but that's a different story. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a> is exactly and totally correct!  This is why I hate jumping into a situation without doing the proper ground work.  I erroneously believed the link was to the official Shunning Rock Software forums.  [The forum that has the Known Issue post is the link supplied by the official Shining Rock site, but I guess it hasn't been kept up to date - or, has it?  The mysteries of the internet!] I was in too much of a hurry.

Now, instead of doing the proper background work and researching the problem, I'm playing catch up and correcting errors I made in my statements.  Unfortunately, when trying to give technical advise, this is an easy trap to fall into and, it creeps up on you before you realized what's happened!

So far, I feel I've caused more problems than I've solved and, I apologize.

If I was a moderator, I'd remove all posts after <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a>'s original.  As I cannot do this, I will refrain from more armchair recommendations until I've had a chance to study the problem in greater detail.  In the meantime, I will work on the video settings short guide I've been working on.  I may put a short retraction at the top of my other posts.

My only advise right now would be to submit a bug report to Shining Rock Software support.

Forever your servant.....

And to add to what both <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="14" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/14-paeng/">@Paeng</a> and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a> have said about Banished being relatively trouble free, I have a Steam copy and with all the abuse I've given the poor game with cramming mods into it left, right and centre, I have had a very good run. No bugs/crashes that were not the result of my own dumb efforts or a badly coded mod for the last year or so.

... and I will add my own observations to this:

Over my time with banished I've had a lot of crashes, and most I put down to 'Alt-Tab'.

Make sure you press Esc to pause screen first. Direct x9 seems to handle it better, but suffers in load time. Whereas Direct x11 is quicker to load, but struggles with the 'Alt-Tab'...

Don't remove a mod from a savegame. The moment it's in, the save's made, it stays.

Be careful of updates, any updated mod that says it's save-game compatible, might not be, for many different reasons. Mine are notorious for it. I seem to have a habit for having mods with bugs. Sorry everyone!

Delete the games registry when starting a new game. I recommend <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2872-gordon-dry/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="2872" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2872-gordon-dry/">@Gordon Dry</a>'s "Create sorted list of Banished mods" - very easy to use, this also allows you to get a .txt file list of the enabled mods [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />