Fatal acces violation

I'd like to bump this question up as <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> is having the same sort of problem and although we've tried a few things here and there, I think we need to ask cleverer people than me for potential solutions.

Specifically she is having a fatal access error when running Large size (or <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> Very Large) maps. She has tried switching from DX11 to DX9 and that "appeared" to hold the problem at bay for a little while but it didn't stop it from happening.

Particular details from her crash gump state that the fatal access violation occurred in VideoDX9-x64.dll (after she tried using DX9), I believe the same error occurs with DX11. 

So yeah, any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome, for a list of some of the things we've looked at, take a peek at my thread here for Very Large Maps with Lakes, located here

Quote:
1 hour ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I'd like to bump this question up as <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> is having the same sort of problem and although we've tried a few things here and there, I think we need to ask cleverer people than me for potential solutions.

Specifically she is having a fatal access error when running Large size (or <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> Very Large) maps. She has tried switching from DX11 to DX9 and that "appeared" to hold the problem at bay for a little while but it didn't stop it from happening.

Particular details from her crash gump state that the fatal access violation occurred in VideoDX9-x64.dll (after she tried using DX9), I believe the same error occurs with DX11. 

So yeah, any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome, for a list of some of the things we've looked at, take a peek at my thread here for Very Large Maps with Lakes, located here

Access violations may occur for a number of reasons.  A quick Google search showed me that this problem doesn't seem to be tied to specific hardware, and generally appears on heavily modded games (again, this was a quick search).

I've read a number of supposed fixes, everything from removing Banished registry keys to disabling specific mods.

Without this problem happening on my system, it could be difficult to diagnose.  There is a chance, of course, the problem is in the code (only triggering with certain conditions) and nothing short of a hack-patch will fix it.

My recommendations would be to rule out mods first.  This is a lengthy process and would require removing all mods (don't just disable them, move the mods to an un-associated directory), then reenabling them one at a time only moving to the next one after each has been thoroughly tested.

Obviously, large-map mods have to be active if the problem only happens with out-side-the-box maps.  Run the game for awhile with only the large map mod and see what happens.

The unfortunate chances you take with the trial and error method is that the specific set of conditions may not happen.  It would appear to be fixed, but wouldnt be.

Can someone point me to the error dump?

Also, make sure Windows is managing your swap file, for now.  If you have more than one hard drive, make sure the non-system drive is enabled for swapping.

If someone tries this, let me know the results.

For those having the problem, can you post a summary of your system here?

Well, OK, after a bit more reading, I've come to the determination that folks are getting their errors mixed up (not here, it seems, but other reports out there)!

After deciphering a few, it might be that the access violations are happening on unmodded games.

I need to see a dump....

The swap advice still stands, but right now there may not be a need to look at the modding (though it does simplify things).

My guess is it is a problem with video memory and or texturing, but guessing can be dangerous at this stage.

There is a possibility that old installs with a number of updates has corrupt something somewhere.  DDO does this to me at times.

The way I fix it without loosening data is to rename the install directory, then reinstalled the game.  I then copy all config and custom files to the new install (saves with Banished, too).  After upgrading (I guess it can be called an "upgrade") to Window 10, DDO (and others) lost write permission to their data directories!  OMG, really?  I used the same technique as described above (not reinstalling, but with the data directory), but copied all the data over to my manually created data directory.  It worked fine.

Anywho, if someone wants to try the rename-reinstall-copy method above, you should be safe (if you are somewhat computer savvy and have a backup), but I'd be surprised if that fixit it on its own (though it may buy you some time).

One of the best and easiest fixes is to clear texture cache.  This works if some of the cache is corrupt (which can result in an access violation).

Like I said, these problems can be very difficult to diagnose from afar!

Again, I'll need to see some dumps.....

I can't provide any insight myself, as outside of coding development or a simple exit crash, I've never crashed in banished. 

I do know there's a trend for crashing on larger map sizes, it's for this reason I refused to make any bigger map sizes.

I would try to think about what happened when the crash occurred. Was a particular building selected, or a specific event triggered.

Quote:
2 hours ago, Trasd said:

Well, OK, after a bit more reading, I've come to the determination that folks are getting their errors mixed up (not here, it seems, but other reports out there)!

After deciphering a few, it might be that the access violations are happening on unmodded games.

I need to see a dump....

The swap advice still stands, but right now there may not be a need to look at the modding (though it does simplify things).

My guess is it is a problem with video memory and or texturing, but guessing can be dangerous at this stage.

There is a possibility that old installs with a number of updates has corrupt something somewhere.  DDO does this to me at times.

The way I fix it without loosening data is to rename the install directory, then reinstalled the game.  I then copy all config and custom files to the new install (saves with Banished, too).  After upgrading (I guess it can be called an "upgrade") to Window 10, DDO (and others) lost write permission to their data directories!  OMG, really?  I used the same technique as described above (not reinstalling, but with the data directory), but copied all the data over to my manually created data directory.  It worked fine.

Anywho, if someone wants to try the rename-reinstall-copy method above, you should be safe (if you are somewhat computer savvy and have a backup), but I'd be surprised if that fixit it on its own (though it may buy you some time).

One of the best and easiest fixes is to clear texture cache.  This works if some of the cache is corrupt (which can result in an access violation).

Like I said, these problems can be very difficult to diagnose from afar!

Again, I'll need to see some dumps.....

I am starting my game again from the last save I have of it.

Will post back with the dump  for you once it happens again.

I looked in  My Documents/Banished/Save   and there wasn't one from the error I posted on that <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> is talking about.

I don't know why it didn't make one [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]/emoticons/unsure@2x.png 2x" title=":/" width="20" />

But you can see I posted a screenshot on there of the error and a white screened Banished game screen.

Also on the thread <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> pointed you to, when I woke up less than an hour ago I put up some of my computer specs.

If you need more I would be more than happy to obtain them for you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I currently only know how to use DXDiag to get them so if there is another way you would like for me to get them I will need some direction on where and how to obtain it.

And this is why I like the Banished community compared to some other modding groups I've seen, we may not be able to help all the time but we try to or at least offer another perspective that may lead somewhere with the troubleshooting.

Moving Cows into pasture

Extending road past pasture ( as I did last night)

Sending laborers to cut down resources

I remember last night I was looking for just the right church to place down and switched to my browser to look at the picture of the style of church and when I switched back, the game had crashed.

Ok just used Debug to give me the stone I need to build the church so I could see if I can reproduce the bug.

They are currently building it.

Now keep in mind I did switch my game settings again last night after the crash.

They now are:

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/5851738d0fbe9_Settingsafterthecrash.thumb.jpg.26c05adfd5182b135276937f26d1a5ba.jpg[/img]

Hey <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6032" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6032-rejectedegg/">@rejectedegg</a> I was browsing one of the other help threads and saw that you a mod for better rain sounds (I think that was the name). Now I am just throwing a random thought out here because I don't really know enough, but have you tried large maps without that specific mod activated?

I'm just thinking that maybe the issue is not graphics related but perhaps audio related? It's not common from what I can tell from my limited reading on the net but it does sometimes happen that sound files screw up on larger game maps (not specifically Banished but I vaguely recall it from some older game or other).

And again, for those folks who do actually know about this stuff, please feel free to correct my amateur troubleshooting.

Got the church built, although my intentions were to lay down a footprint for it last night.   

I had only intended to use debug in dire cases, which I have been trying to eliminate all those dire needs one by one.

This is also my BIG Williamsburg project that I have been so anxious to get started.

But, anyhow here is a screenshot of my Debug statistics (in case anything other than the FPS numbers means anything to anyone) [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/5851753c2cb92_DebugStats.thumb.jpg.7b729bd2f9e688a90e392bec773e735e.jpg[/img]