Ambient Occlusion (AO)

... and, I decided to try some of the DS Small Village buildings. I wasn't sure how well they would work as many are multi mesh objects. But it all worked fine, but slow going! but it looks very good.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> ... Necora, first the toolbar, now this! you have made my life busy re-doing everything. There is so much more to do now.

yeah we often end up to redo and redo and redo the same meshes ^^

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> post that explanation about AO on WoB tutorial section.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> there's nearly no snow on the roof of your Celtic hut after you applied AO. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> mentioned he's using AO to manipulate snow appearance but hasn't told us how...

If there were only 100 hours in a day, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> could open his own tutorial school YouTube channel on Banished modding!  Whilst a niche market, the results would be excellent.

:)  

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a> did you see the last few posts on your thread over at WOB about increasing snow cover? For some reason adding a good AO removes snow compared to using just a white square. I couldn't get it back and don't understand why it would, as my whites for the roofs in the AO could not possible be any whiter or brighter than what blender bakes.... but there is a solution to remove the AO from a certain line in the opaque material file that brings the snow back! See how it is explained over there.... I can figure out blender, I cannot figure out how the game is coded to save my life.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>: yup, saw it. i was thinking about that error you mentioned that pops up when compiling the road tiles: it said the ALPHA channel was all white, right? Now i may be a total noob, but the alpha channel is not the actual AO image. there might even not be an alpha channel in a freshly baked AO image. what happens when you add an alpha channel manually and then paint on it with white? Does the game maybe use the alpha channel to determine where snow goes?

anyways, i'm dropping <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a>a message because he seems to know how to do it and hasnt replied here.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a> actually, forget about that for now. I tried messing with the alpha channel but it did nothing. All I could do was remove snow, now add it.

What I was referring to was <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8760-tom-sawyer/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8760" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8760-tom-sawyer/">@tom Sawyer</a>'s suggestion of making your own Matieral/Opaque/OpaqueMaterial.srsl and changing one line in the code. 

Quote:

There is a step while rendering the snow texture and so I went into the material files. I changed row 229 in the snow section of the OpaqueMaterial.srsl to "color.xyz = lerp(color.xyz, sno, pc.userPosition.x * input.seasonData.z * color.w);" and voila... Full snow on my little chapel, just a bit darker on the beams and stairs because of AO.

But, I don't really know much about this sort of thing, so your best to read up on the rest of that discussion.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?top...g30173#new

Judging by the screenshots, it makes all the snow!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>i did read all of that and tried to understand it even.

Snow should be working with the default OpaqueMaterials. Strangely it doesn't with our current AO maps, so we're either doing something wrong or the game is missing information where to put the snow.<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8760-tom-sawyer/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8760" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8760-tom-sawyer/">@tom Sawyer</a>has found a fix for the problem without finding the error or supplying that missing information, so it's not an actual fix but a workaround. My guess is that by removing the "ao.x * ao.x" part from OpaqueMaterials we're telling the game to fall back to a default mechanism for placing snow which might work on the models we've tested so far but might yield bad results with others down the line. I'd rather know where the problem is, learn something and do it the right way than have all modders create custom OpaqueMaterials for their mods and come back here when problems with the workaround arise.

And i stress that there's a chance I am totally wrong about this since my understanding of programming is very basic and I havent looked at the files in the toolkit in any detail...

I have sent a message to <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a>asking him to drop us a line on how AO influences snow. Hope he takes the time to...

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a> I agree, we are missing something. If you look at vanilla buildings, they also have sparse snow cover, perhaps not as sparse as some of the ones above. But there is something strange going on that even in parts of my AO where the white could not possibly be more white still don't show as strong as an all white square. It would be nice to know!

if you have photoshop you click at bottow right : layers and then at very bottom you click add a new layer, a black square will appear, then you click calcs and you control click your calc 0

you take the brush and you paint it with white color.

then you save your file for the web PNG24