BlackLiquid Forums
Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Mod Makers Help & Support (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers (/showthread.php?tid=883)

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Necora - 02-01-2017

Good evening all,

I added apples to a gatherer hut. The problem is, just one gatherer (educated) went on his or her merry way and collected 1500 apples in one year. Then the next. Then the next. This is on top of the usual 200-400 of berries and other things. I looked into the apple template in the resource folder, the low/high create is 50/65! I understand why this is, each orchard tree drops one bucket of apples, so the create unit has to be high to make an orchard of, say, 10 trees produce and acceptable amount of fruit for it to be worth it (500/650 in this case). But this is far to overpowering for a gatherer, even just for apples alone.

The same can be said for things such as flax or hemp. If you go by the crop field production of flax or hemp, which if I remember correctly is between 200 and 400 a harvest in an 11x11 field, then the gatherers pick up really quite a small amount, >100 units, not enough for 1 rope. So I upped the create numbers for flax, got the gatherer producing 250 a year, but the 11x11 crop field then went and produced 1600 a year. Hmmm.

So how do you go about balancing these? Is there any other number apart from the high/low create that I can play with that will even this out? I want the gatherers to produce a worth while amount, but not over powered. But I also don't want to then over power or under power the orchards and crop fields.

I could add a new raw material, wild flax and wild apples, but then they are not compatible with regular flax/apple production chains which is just more of a hassle.

Any suggestions?

Is there anything I can play around with in the natural resource apple/hemp/flax file to speed up/slow down production?

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Bartender - 02-02-2017

What do the gatherers harvest these resources from? Perhaps there might be a way to regulate the abundance of those entities?

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Ketchup - 02-02-2017

maybe do a new natural resource and call it NaturalResourceAppleWild.rsc or NaturalResourceApple.rsc (instead of appletree)

open the onion one and copy paste it into it. 

in the paragraph NaturalResourceDescription naturalresource replace the onion by "Template\RawMaterialApple.rsc"; which will give you the same apple that the orchard produce.

and since in the rawmaterialApple the number is 2x higher thatn Onion ... cut the spawn chance by 2 ? (0.2 instead of 0.4?)

you will be able to play with the numbers without affecting the orchard apples.

same with your flax, do another natural resource with another name and lead it to your flax and play with the spawns/Noise/Neighbors numbers

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Necora - 02-02-2017

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> yup that is how I have it already, a new wild apple and flax natural resource, which links to the raw material apple and flax. The issue is in the raw material apple and flax, and the high/low create numbers.

What do the various instances under GrowthDescription and NaturalResourceDescription in the natural resources file mean? There are so many...

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Kralyerg - 02-02-2017

Quote:
2 hours ago, Necora said:

What do the various instances under GrowthDescription and NaturalResourceDescription in the natural resources file mean? There are so many...

When you figure that out, let me know. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I know the float _spawnChance is important.  Chance of Spawn. So a lower number will mean it gets spawned less. But I don't really know what the noise variables mean. Noise is doing something to make it kind of a random distribution across the map, but I have no idea what does what.

The height variables make it so they will or will not spawn at higher or lower elevations. That's how we get reeds to only spawn near the river, because the height is set lower for the riverbanks.

_positionTolerance is how far from the center of the square is the thing allowed to be.  This is probably to give it a more natural look so everything doesn't end up in exact rows, but randomly slightly off center.

It would have been really nice if Luke had made better notes for some of this.

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - QueryEverything - 02-02-2017

I don't want to be rude, but cross posting interests here ...  Sorry.

There was talk over on WoB with @tanypredator about her Arbors & Water Lilies and spawning the lilies near the water, but not on land, as a startup feature.

There was discussion on how to do it.  This is great information, do you mind if I link it?

:D

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Kralyerg - 02-02-2017

Quote:
33 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

do you mind if I link it

Go for it.

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Ketchup - 02-03-2017

Quote:
9 hours ago, Necora said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> yup that is how I have it already, a new wild apple and flax natural resource, which links to the raw material apple and flax. The issue is in the raw material apple and flax, and the high/low create numbers.

Hi Necora.

You cannot set 2 different numbers for how many it creates , it is written in the rawmaterialfile.rsc (another crappy concept of the developper, written at wrong place)

the only thing you can control in naturalmaterial is the spawn rate, you need to lower the spawn rate so at the end of the year you get the annual amount you were aiming for.

no choice

usually a wild food spawns 16 to 22

and a crop food spawns 20 to 28

and an orchard food is 50 to 65

so orchard will give 3 time more apple than usually in the wood so you need to give the spawn chance 0.4 multiplied by 0.33 = 0.132

your flax should be good with 0.32, if the RNG cause alot of trouble , play with the numbers. for sure you cannot add 2 different create numbers for the same food.

Balancing production of Crops and Gatherers - Bartender - 03-23-2017

I'm going to hop in on this discussion with a slightly related question: how do you add a resource as a naturally growing entity, without having it being spawned by trees? I have tried to add the template for a new resource to the "WeakComponentDescription _naturalResources []" part of the StartConditions.rsc, where the Rock, Ore and Tree template are called, but that doesn't seem to work.