BlackLiquid Forums
Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Ideas (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. (/showthread.php?tid=801)

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - Bro - 02-22-2017

Great mod, fantastic work all the way around, I should have said this before but better late than never.  

Now, small suggestion before big one.... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

There should be a way to tell all houses to use a preferred fuel type to heat their homes.  If that fuel type isn't available because it ran out, then it's a free for all, but when I have stacks of coke laying around and they're using firewood, it's a pet peeve of mine. 

Ok, bigger suggestion and might be something simple.  Need a way to control population with something other than housing.  If I get a baby boom of people and I don't need 50 laborers and 20 builders, I'd like a way to kill some off but to maybe have a payoff of some kind for it.  These are educated people after all.  Maybe make them explorers who "go away" and have a 50/50 chance of returning with something cool to decorate the town with.  Kind of like how a small town builds a war memorial statue of a hometown general who dies.  Cool looking statue, but sadly he's dead now.  It happens. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

Again, thanks for the incredible mod.  Keep up the fantastic work. 

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - estherhb - 02-22-2017

There are limits as to what can be done using the modkit. 

We can't tell houses which Fuel to use. I stop making Firewood after the first few years; I build a Stacks Burner and make Charcoal instead. That's because the Stacks Burner can make 11 Charcoal per log while the Woodcutter only makes 4 Firewood per log.  Charcoal is also better for trade because you produce more:  Firewood has a value of 4 so 4 Firewood has a value of 16. Charcoal has a value of 3 so 11 Charcoal has a value of 33.  Coke has similar numbers. (All of these numbers are in the Production Spreadsheet HERE)

Controlling population by controlling housing is one of the basic challenges in Banished. Adult children that still live with their parents won't have kids and their parents won't have more kids until their adult children move out.  At some point (and for some players right from the start), many players limit new homes to 1-3 a year to prevent baby booms and later an influx of students - and later still prevent die-offs. That's also a good reason not to accept large numbers of Nomads.  (I never seem to be able to do this for long - but it is a good idea.)

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - BuildHappy - 02-22-2017

Quote:
1 hour ago, Bro said:

There should be a way to tell all houses to use a preferred fuel type to heat their homes.

I have only ever seen the 'stop using coal in houses' mod. You can see it both in the steam workshop and at banishedinfo . com.

However, I agree with estherhb 100%, getting better balance and profit with charcoal is worth the time and effort, in the long run.

I have a lot less aversion to demolishing buildings these days. I'm no longer anxious about build-cost and time investment to have 4 stacks burners near my sawmills, but later tearing buildings down and reclaiming space for housing (or even happiness-radius stuff like libraries). Sometimes I even let my foresters go, and let the trees do as they like, when my fuel needs have leveled out and I'm using 10-15% of the firewood that I was using during growth.

Upgrades to housing both reduces how much fuel they need, and tends to happen later when prosperity and balance are greater. For me, this also contributes to less firewood use.

Have fun!

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - elemental - 02-22-2017

The no coal in houses mod changed coal from being a fuel to being a... something else. And because it was no longer a fuel houses couldn't eat it.

Regarding ideas for mods... basically any good ideas that haven't been done probably can't be done because the modkit is very limited in what it can do. BUT... don't stop posting ideas because Black Liquid want to make their own game and ideas are good. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> They really should start a wishlist thread for their game. Let us hit them with stuff we'd love to see in it.

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - stiles - 02-22-2017

on that note i'll add that it would be nice if the banis used household goods in their houses. or that we could utilize the happiness meter for the banis and then it would increase when they have acccess to goods and go down if they don't have as many or as varied. items like candles,silverware,bedding,furiture should be more useful than just as trade items.

would have been good if we could have split the firewood needs of houses and set it to use x% firewood and x% household+x% candles,etc

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - KevinTheCynic - 02-22-2017

I think the issue with things like making them use silverware, bedding and furniture etc. etc. is that these items are things that you would only buy once in a few years (and typically much longer, you don't need to buy silverware every year or even every ten years for example). This then becomes a situation where you have to decide on the unrealistic & unsatisfying idea of having them consume these items every year (or season) or decide to make them consume them every few years - and then you need the coding to sort out which individual house needs new silverware... but you also need to decide on the unrealistic versus realistic for items like silverware/ Only wealthy households would use silver, the less wealthy would use pewter, copper, tin or even wood utensils so then you have to code all of that if you decide on the more realistic approach. I really don't envy the modders trying to do new things with Banished let alone trying to create a new game implementing all these things.

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - stiles - 02-22-2017

i agree. the numbers game and realistics could have been fun . as it stands ,we have not found a way for banis to "use" the items whaht so ever. the silverware was just an example of the v aried items that we peoduce but can't use except as trade items. another game limit reached with no solution or workaround. i was hoping maybe others could come up with some crazy idea and together we could find a way. if the happiness mattered more then we could try to use things to affect it. happiness doesn't matter much though.

Can't find suggestion box, so here goes. - KevinTheCynic - 02-23-2017

Well the silverware, bedding, furniture and so on are specifically required to build certain types of house in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> as well as for updating lower level houses to that standard so you have the situation that once you have enough of them to build the houses you want, you don't need to to keep producing them. But as you pointed out, they do come in somewhat useful for trading.

Edit: I also meant to say that while the silverware, pewterware, bedding, furniture, fancy furniture, copper pipes and so on all go towards creating "building supplies" or "fancy homewares" and so on to allow you to create the higher tier buildings and houses, I have a feeling that the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> crew included so many of them so that you would have options in case a particular item in the production chain was not available and you needed to switch to another one.