BlackLiquid Forums
moving with the wind - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Mod Makers Help & Support (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: moving with the wind (/showthread.php?tid=752)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

moving with the wind - Ketchup - 03-06-2017

Hey !

it happends lately to have saw the blueberry transfered to crop (from your <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mod) and i noticed that it looks like the same mesh as the vanilla blueberry which you probably just called it through blueberryMesh.rsc.... and what i noticed is that blueberry swings alot with the wind (like the leaves of trees) so my question is :

what is the trick to make them swing like that ? what i need to do to have my crops swing like that with the wind ?

i dont see anything special in the code of the blueberry out of the line :     float _maxDepthDraw = 60.0; which seems not be related.

moving with the wind - Kralyerg - 03-06-2017

That's a really good question that I don't have an answer for.

They appear to be set to animated = false.

I tested a few other crops, but they don't sway. We didn't do anything special to the blueberries. It is using the vanilla blueberry mesh, like you said.

Hmm...

moving with the wind - Ketchup - 03-06-2017

the blueberries are looking so good when they swing with the wind...

i think it is a must have for alfalfa or even other crops like barley, corn, wheat .... and so on

moving with the wind - Necora - 03-06-2017

Could it be the same UV set up as trees?

moving with the wind - Ketchup - 03-07-2017

i am still waiting and hoping for an answer from <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> i hope he will comeback to this forum one day ^^

moving with the wind - Necora - 03-17-2017

I posted this originally in another thread and will bring it here...

Hi guys,

So <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> I am by no way any good at modelling and am still figuring it out but I might be able to help you with the swaying of the leaves. I managed to do it with my trees and was very excited to see them sway in game. It is down to your UV maps. If you look at the model of the fig tree example, it has 3 UV channels. 'UVChannel_01' is your texture mapping, 'UVChannel_02' is your AO, and 'UVChannel_03' is the swaying. 

I'll show you the spruce tree. So we have three UV channels for our tree.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1561" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce01.jpg.dcfbbbdc02772d666aba08aafb7a3ccc.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce01.thumb.jpg.718adb135d0e73d978b326effbbf7eba.jpg[/img]</a>

The first UV channel is for the texturing. In this tree, I've used two materials, one for bark and one for branches. I've scaled the tree trunk rather large to make the bark look detailed... in vanilla trees it is very stretched.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1562" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce02.jpg.85e81ad4a88e929e76801445f79711df.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce02.thumb.jpg.5631d8369663445aeba41b561be3b3ca.jpg[/img]</a>

The second is for the AO. I've used the 'Smart Project' unwrap to get this, then baked the OA.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1563" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce03.jpg.c01bac157388eee14d39a64254088ebc.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce03.thumb.jpg.356590893d877dfaae82ba3828155a91.jpg[/img]</a>

The third UV channel is for the swaying. There are two things to note. In this, I have used 'Reset' unwrap to make all of the branches a square, piled on top of each other, filling the whole UV map. My branches in this example are only 1 face each, I've not yet tried doing more but that is what I want to do next.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1564" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce04.jpg.e789bd19588e4f5e39eb0bd2df98777c.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce04.thumb.jpg.e5c336529f922b8b94af7054d66b2f71.jpg[/img]</a>

If we zoom in on this one, that dot is my tree trunk. This makes it not sway in the wind! I added this channel last, so the only way I could do this was to scale the UV coordinates down until they were all on one spot.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1565" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce05.jpg.99b2c46384b4bbe6c27bffa1b571c077.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Spruce05.thumb.jpg.7805f3306d9393f94ab27961421e1769.jpg[/img]</a>

And that is pretty much it.

As for the leaves dropping, I think this is the 'BillboardMaterial' that is referred to in the 'Models/MaterialInstance/FigTree.rsc' of the example file...

Code:
MaterialInstance resource
{
    Material _material = "Material\Billboard\BillboardMaterial.rsc";
    Texture _textures
    [
        {
            String _name = "diffuse";
            ImageBuffer _texture = "Models\MaterialInstance\FigTreeTexture.rsc";
        }
    ]
}

I used this for my maple and aspen and the leaves appear in spring, sway, always face camera, and disappear in winter. Again, I think this reads the 3rd UV channel, so you have to have the tree trunk at 0'0'0 otherwise it will also sway and disappear... maybe. I might go to 2 materials for the maple and apsen to make the leaves look better because I don't like how they look in game at the moment.

Oh and the billboard material also makes them change colour in the autumn... it made mine change and I never did anything for it so it must be this.

There is a camera, target, and armature in the scene of the fig tree example, I have no idea if this does anything, but I decided to keep all of those things in my files just in case.

As for the Spruce, that uses the 'Models/Trees/MaterialInstance/PineTree01.rsc'  from the Resource file in the mod kit.

Code:
MaterialInstance resource
{
    Material _material = "Material\Foliage\FoliageMaterial.rsc";
    Texture _textures
    [
        {
            String _name = "diffuse";
            ImageBuffer _texture = "Models\Trees\MaterialInstance\PineTree01Texture.rsc";
        }
        {
            String _name = "snow";
            ImageBuffer _texture = "Terrain\TerrainSnowTexture.rsc";
        }        
    ]
    Constant _constants
    [
    ]
}

I think the 'FoliageMaterial' makes them sway but not disappear and grow during the seasons.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> I agree with <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="10211" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/10211-jesta/">@jesta</a>, I don't think you need spheres. Try using a dome instead? You could probably cut out some faces and not loose any visual detail.

moving with the wind - Bartender - 03-17-2017

Thanks for copying ;)! This seems very cool.

A question: Do you need to do anything visual to the UV channel 3? like the texture of the parts that you want swaying?

As for the materials, I think 'FoilageMaterial' also makes them not face towards the camera at all times. For camera-facing leaves that don't disappear in winter you might be able to use the 'BillboardEvergreenMaterial', which is the one used for the Blueberry. I don't completely understand all of the code in the Material files, but perhaps it would even be possible to create one that has non-facing leaves that do disappear in winter.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> no you don't need anything visual in UV 3, it is just the location of the points in the map that is important. You could try moving them around to see if it changes how much they sway... might do. I've not played with it much, I just got it working for my trees then decided best not to touch it again [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

With the different materials, I don't know. Again, I've not explored them too much, best is to just try it and see. It is annoying that the foliage material doesn't make them face front, it would be much nicer on the trees if they did. I never saw the evergreen material... I will try it on the tree and see what happens. If it makes them face forward, that would save a lot of faces on the trees.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> I moved the leaves and branches UV co-ordinates on Channel_03  and it seems to make a very slight increase in swaying of the trees. Also, if you use the evergreen billboard material you have to do this otherwise your leaves will end up offset from the model for some reason.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1566" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/SpruceSway.jpg.81dc8dc27fb50c5319edc0b078831a7f.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/SpruceSway.thumb.jpg.a24c7e4f48d2b96d470f4f7d512b8008.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> I also tried using the evergreen billboard. It definitely makes the trees look more full, but also changes the angle of the faces. Not sure I like it. The tree on the left is with the foliage material and the tree on the right is with the evergreen billboard.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1567" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Screenshot11.jpg.a3520567c981ba115b6030d852665e57.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_03/Screenshot11.thumb.jpg.5eb75e99b166331e3c647066e96862ae.jpg[/img]</a>

moving with the wind - Ketchup - 03-17-2017

well it doesnt help me at all since i am using 3dsmax [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />