BlackLiquid Forums
Animal and Human Threats - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Ideas (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Animal and Human Threats (/showthread.php?tid=648)

Animal and Human Threats - SamuraiWindu - 04-09-2017

I saw a suggestion on the Shining Rock forums that I like and thought I would relay and expound upon here.

The idea is to add new disasters that represent animal attacks or human raids.  Examples might include an attack on your pasture that kills a few animals, an attack that injures citizens (who would then need healing), a raid on stockpiles (or other large storage areas) that removes food or other supplies, or an attack on homes that sets them on fire.  Buildings and pastures might be more vulnerable to these disasters if they are on the outskirts of your settlement.  Building and manning Watch Towers nearby might deter these attacks.  Walls may have a similar effect.

Is this feasible as a mod?

Animal and Human Threats - estherhb - 04-09-2017

No. Can't make new disasters with the modkit or create any type of conflict.  Luke would need to modify the game and to quote Ghostbusters "that's about as likely as a bus full of nuns going to Hooters.

Animal and Human Threats - Jafar_the_Barmecide - 05-14-2017

I was thinking of something like this too, I don't quite know what you mean by 'modkit' <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> but I presume it means the way the mechanics of the game work it is just not possible. I was thinking of the mechanics of Kingdoms and Castles where viking raiders and the occasional dragon cause disasters and cull the population every now and then. It would be hard to do it sensitively anyway if we are talking raids by natives, it opens a whole can of issues that would be a political minefield. (How about not suppressing the goblins- nobody cares about the sensibilities of goblins!) 

The disaster that I thought might be do-able was the bushfire which would leave a path in much the same way as a tornado but with fire instead (instead of the tornado graphic, have a big plume of black smoke. Bushfires in Australia can move just as fast as a tornado), I don't know how much modding that would need but there's plenty of disasters in the game as it is to keep you on your toes.

Animal and Human Threats - estherhb - 05-15-2017

The "modkit" is a set of tools (a comprehensively vague term) that allow people to create add-ons or change various features of a game.  Modders do not have direct access to all of the features/code in the game - there's stuff that can't be modified or eliminated.  So, in Banished, there can't be groups of various races nor can there be a dragon disaster (I've asked about this before). It's difficult to make new animals (one reason why there isn't more variety of animals roaming the forests). Can't make the sails on a windmill turn, change the appearance of the merchant boats or create combat (I would love small groups of barbarians or thieves too).  No Zombies either [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />