BlackLiquid Forums
Housing Office - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Ideas (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Housing Office (/showthread.php?tid=620)

Pages: 1 2

Housing Office - J_Man - 05-01-2017

What is the biggest issue you can think of when it comes to building homes?

If you said, "how many to build?" your correct. Part of MegaMod, and Journey is the Immigration Office, a building that only functions to allow nomads in. If it were possible could we have a building that grabs the values of the Homes, and Families. Here is why, 

I generally find that you can have smooth growth by following a simple math formula:

Families minus Homes Divided by 2 equals how many homes to build or

Code:
(F-H)/2=B

With this it insures you have just the right amount of marriages possible to grow the population at an exponential rate. If the building could display the value "B" for number of new homes needed, it would mean smoother homes building control. 

Now, for you gamer's that are like "ugh just play the game" or  "this feels like a cheat". Here is the deal, it won't track homes being built, and might not be possible. If it is it would be a nice tool to have for at least new players. You could tie in production to it by requiring a worker, this would make it "cost" the player more than just being a town hall. Think of it like a town hall annex. 

Housing Office - Vrayna - 05-01-2017

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to add any kind of new statistics into the game. The "best" that you can get is the number of families and homes from the Townhall, and I'm pretty sure you can't isolate those 2 numbers, you must have that whole first tab of statistics as a whole. So it is possible to add that "general stats" to the immigration office" on top of the "allow nomads yes/no" page, but that's about it.

Housing Office - KevinTheCynic - 05-01-2017

Like <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1510-vrayna/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="1510" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/1510-vrayna/">@Vrayna</a> mentioned, I don't think there is any way to add this into the game however <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6163-j_man/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6163" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6163-j_man/">@J_Man</a> I do think the idea is very good. It's a simple and sensible "town planning" idea rather than any sort of cheat in my opinion.

Housing Office - J_Man - 05-02-2017

@Vrayna & @KevinTheCynic thank you. I guess all we can hope for is for the dev to continue expanding the mod kit... Bummer.

Housing Office - Lockerius - 05-02-2017

Could you not just determine the number of adults and work that into your equation?  I mean you'll never have exactly as many men as women, but you could come close.  Since only adults can create new families, it should ensure you don't have that 34 year old man lounging around in his parent's house.

Housing Office - J_Man - 05-03-2017

Quote:
On 5/2/2017 at 10:54 AM, Lockerius said:

Could you not just determine the number of adults and work that into your equation?  I mean you'll never have exactly as many men as women, but you could come close.  Since only adults can create new families, it should ensure you don't have that 34 year old man lounging around in his parent's house.

Well the real number (in game) for marriage is 12 to marry 15 to have kids. You stop being able to have kids at 35(i think?). What happens is when a male turns 12 and a female turns 12, they forma pair. If you have, for example a 15 year old male but no girl is old enough the counter will not go up. Using adults and dividing by two will not include kids in that family equation. Doing so means building a house for one person. 

Housing Office - estherhb - 05-03-2017

Quote:
1 hour ago, J_Man said:

Well the real number (in game) for marriage is 12 to marry 15 to have kids. You stop being able to have kids at 35(i think?). What happens is when a male turns 12 and a female turns 12, they forma pair. If you have, for example a 15 year old male but no girl is old enough the counter will not go up. Using adults and dividing by two will not include kids in that family equation. Doing so means building a house for one person. 

Sounds like you aren't sending the kids to school; you do know that uneducated workers often produce less?  Anyway, I believe the cut-off for having kids is more like age 40, but some say a bit more.  I often build a home for a single adult to get them to move out of the house so their parents will have more kids. Since I send the kids to school, often a student will move in with that adult and later they will have kids.

People in school can also be married, and have kids themselves so this is not a concern. 

Quote:
1 minute ago, estherhb said:

Sounds like you aren't sending the kids to school; you do know that uneducated workers often produce less?  Anyway, I believe the cut-off for having kids is more like age 40, but some say a bit more.  I often build a home for a single adult to get them to move out of the house so their parents will have more kids. Since I send the kids to school, often a student will move in with that adult and later they will have kids.

You may have misread the actual tip: Families less Homes divided by two is the number of pairings not yet made. I have come across no issues by doing this. 100% educated workforce with steady growth (no booms of deaths)

Housing Office - estherhb - 05-03-2017

Glad that works for you.  However, lots of people find that when they keep building houses at that rate they begin to have problems - especially when their population grows large. That's why many recommend only building 1-4 homes a year, regardless of the number of adults living at home. 

Quote:
2 minutes ago, estherhb said:

Glad that works for you.  However, lots of people find that when they keep building houses at that rate they begin to have problems - especially when their population grows large. That's why many recommend only building 1-4 homes a year, regardless of the number of adults living at home. 

Ok. You may still be missing the point. If in the late game you have like 300 families, yes many people will be born, but you can simply change to divisor. 2 for rapid growth, 3 for slower, 4 for late game, and 5 if you still have not started a new map and are seeing just how far the game can go. 

Also, death empties the houses. So you may find that 1 to 4 houses is all that this will return. Experts such as yourself may find this tool too "extra". For a new player wondering "why does half my population die every 15 year??" it would help them. 

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just saying it works itself out when you figure in the death factor. All this tip does is ensure you don't build too fast. Since I started doing this I have never seen more then 2 deaths in a row (unless it was game driven drama "Kare the Gatherer ate poisonous berries and died" ect). Your probably accustom to your style of building homes, but new players could find it helpful. We already established it could not become a mod due to kit limits, but this doesn't mean its not helpful.