BlackLiquid Forums
Fatal Access Violation! - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Questions, Help & Support (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fatal Access Violation! (/showthread.php?tid=585)

Pages: 1 2

Fatal Access Violation! - Endo-Chick - 05-20-2017

Hi,

I am pretty new to this mod and am currently really enjoying it. I have also installed it on my laptop for my mum to play but she keeps experiencing an error which I can't seem to find a fix for.

The error - "A fatal Access Violation has occurred in Application-steam-x64.exe and the game cannot continue."

It saves a crash dump to the banished folder but when I open it with notepad++, it just shows a load of weird symbols that doesn't make any sense. 

I have found similar errors around the net but nothing that says exactly what she has been experiencing.  I have tried the following to fix the issue but so far nothing has worked.

• Change the Regedit VideoInterface to 0

• Uninstalled and reinstalled the mod and the game several times. 

• Forced the game to load in DirectX9

• Played the game without any internet and disabled anti-virus. - This one worked for a bit longer than other times and a colleague of mine said this fixed it for him.

• Loaded game without Steam

• I have one more thing I haven't tried yet. Sometimes when she launches the game through steam or just via the .exe she has another launch window that sometime's opened. It doesn't seem to have a pattern as to when it will show up. I have read that this could also cause a problem and to turn it off but unfortunately, it's not something I can test. On this window, she can select whether to run the game in DX9 or 11 and a few other things. 

Even with the mod completely uninstalled the game still crashes. I have made a backup of her saves just in case of needing to do another re-install but if anyone could help me with this issue, I would be very grateful. The game ran perfectly fine for months before this occurred. 

Laptop Specs: 

HP Envy 

I7-4710MQ CPU @2.5GHz

NVidia Geforce GTX 840M with Intel HD4600 integrated graphics

12GB RAM

Thanks,

Endo-Chick

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="//blackliquidsoftware.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=2402">crash.dmp</a>

Fatal Access Violation! - Necora - 05-20-2017

Hi <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16399" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/">@Endo-Chick</a> and welcome! Sorry to hear about the crashes.

Well, no one can read the crash dumps except the game dev I believe, so unfortunately we have to do it the hard way. 

Firstly, the random pop up dialog on starting the game, I am assuming this is the dialog that opens up the very first time you open the game? It always pops up when you open the game after a fatal access crash and lets you change settings before launching the game.

Now the crash, we need some more info. What was occurring when the game crashed? Was it a specific thing she was doing? Like clicking on a certain building?

Also, what game version is she using and what mods does she have loaded?

If we could get those bits of info we'll be able to start trying to figure out why the crashes are occurring.

Cheers!

Fatal Access Violation! - Endo-Chick - 05-20-2017

Thanks for the quick response!  <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>

The only Mod installed is the Colonial Charter Journey 1.71 and for Banished she is using the most up to date version on steam, she's not entered into any Beta's.

I think your right, it is kind of like a first game start up box. 

Now the crash is very random! It can occur when just sitting in the game with it running and not clicking on anything. It can occur in the game Menu, it can occur when loading a game. I did initially think it was maybe due to the game auto-saving, but I turned that off and it didn't seem to help. I even tried saving it manually several times to see if that would make it crash but it wouldn't. It's is completely bizarre!

Thanks 

Endo-Chick

Fatal Access Violation! - stiles - 05-20-2017

what version of banished is it? it should say on the bottom of the screen. 1st i would turn off autosaves.2nd i would clear the banished registry.if none of that stops the crash,then i would disable all mods on that dialog box that pops up when you try to load after a crash.try to play vanilla and see if it crashed.if it does then change from dx11 to dx 9.

i would also check other programs that may be running on the comp. how much ram is being used? my comp will crash if i try to do things while the game is loading.once it is loaded i can do other stuff and minimize the screen.

Fatal Access Violation! - Kedryn - 05-21-2017

How about graphic settings? When I had an older ('older' as in well-used) video card the reflections in Banished would heat it up and make me crash; it was three years ago, so I don't remember what the error message was. Are any other programs unstable on your laptop? If so, could be RAM or HD. Or a bit-coin miner? I've never owned a laptop, so I don't know if you can, but have you tried reseating your hardware?

I know all of my questions are hardware related but that's just based on my own experiences; for me it's always been something to do with my hardware.

Fatal Access Violation! - Necora - 05-22-2017

You could try to turn down the graphics options in the game. Go to the options menu, and turn shadows and reflections to 'none'. It doesn't look as vivid, but I often have to do this when running big mods with lots of additions to trees otherwise my computer overheats.

Fatal Access Violation! - joxer316 - 05-22-2017

I loaded up the crash dump in VS 2017, and it seems to be a read/write access problem. Here is the crash dump info:

Dump Summary

------------

Dump File:    crash.dmp : C:\Users\Joxer\Downloads\crash.dmp

Last Write Time:    5/22/2017 12:56:33 PM

Process Name:    Application-steam-x64.exe : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\Application-steam-x64.exe

Process Architecture:    x64

Exception Code:    0xC0000005
Exception Information:    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Heap Information:    Not Present

System Information

------------------

OS Version:    10.0.14393

CLR Version(s):    

Modules

-------

Module Name    Module Path    Module Version

-----------    -----------    --------------

Application-steam-x64.exe    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\Application-steam-x64.exe    0.0.0.0

ntdll.dll    C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll    6.2.14393.479

kernel32.dll    C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll    6.2.14393.1198

KERNELBASE.dll    C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll    6.2.14393.1198

avcuf64.dll    C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2017\Active Virus Control\Avc3_00119_002\avcuf64.dll    3.12.17257.6492

Runtime-steam-x64.dll    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\Runtime-steam-x64.dll    0.0.0.0

user32.dll    C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll    6.2.14393.576

ucrtbase.dll    C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll    6.2.14393.0

dinput8.dll    C:\Windows\System32\dinput8.dll    6.2.14393.0

dbghelp.dll    C:\Windows\System32\dbghelp.dll    6.2.14321.1024

dbgcore.dll    C:\Windows\System32\dbgcore.dll    6.2.14321.1024

gameoverlayrenderer64.dll    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\gameoverlayrenderer64.dll    3.92.72.58

steamclient64.dll    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamclient64.dll    3.92.72.58

uxtheme.dll    C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll    6.2.14393.0

msctf.dll    C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll    6.2.14393.953

d3d9.dll    C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll    6.2.14393.447

VideoDX11-steam-x64.dll    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\VideoDX11-steam-x64.dll    0.0.0.0

nvd3dumx.dll    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhm.inf_amd64_7c553af4468727c1\nvd3dumx.dll    21.21.13.7682

igdumdim64.dll    C:\Windows\System32\igdumdim64.dll    20.19.15.4531

XAudio2_7.dll    C:\Windows\System32\XAudio2_7.dll    9.29.1962.0

AudioSes.dll    C:\Windows\System32\AudioSes.dll    6.2.14393.953

wintrust.dll    C:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dll    6.2.14393.953

Fatal Access Violation! - portiadavenport - 05-29-2017

I had the same problem few months ago with the new <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>. If you update to the latest <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> Journey and latest Banished beta it seems to solve the problem. Did for me (took days to figure that out!)

Fatal Access Violation! - estherhb - 05-29-2017

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15440" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/">@joxer316</a> If it is read/write problem: Are you using Windows 10?  If so you need to make sure your Save file (usually found under Documents>Banished>Save) is Read/Write and not just Read only. That's a frequent problem with Windows 10, causing crashes when the game autosaves or you exit/save your game.

Fatal Access Violation! - QueryEverything - 05-29-2017

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="16399" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/16399-endo-chick/">@Endo-Chick</a> (great name),  <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="15440" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/15440-joxer316/">@joxer316</a> this may help as well.

Just want to check:  The crash happens even when there are absolutely no mods installed?  (Not just disabled), and the Banished/WinData folder has absolutely no .pkm or .sub files in there?

Have you moved all the save files from the MyDocs/Banished/Save folder?  Making sure this is completely empty, keep a copy of all saves in another drive - but delet the Autosave file

Once that has all been done - and you run the game, what happens?

Does the crash still happen?

I suggest:  

- Clean everything out, load Banished.  Let it load completely, change any game settings you need to (screen size etc); then

- EXIT Banished completely -  extremely important!!

- Load Banished - let it run.

- Start a new map

- Save the Map as soon as it loads

- Run for 10 mins or so, save again, let the Autosave kick in

See if it crashes at any of those steps, and see if that can be narrowed down.

Notes

- Mods need to be removed, rather than just delete them, move them into a backup folder on the system, you will need them as you rebuild

- If the Steam account has any mods subscribed - make sure you unsubscribe for now

- Whilst running the game - do not build a town hall, do not build a nomad attractor (well, town hall etc)

- By taking things one step at a time, and making sure there is no 'residuals' stuck in the machine, you can hopefully pinpoint a trigger to the crashes.

- By making sure you EXIT the game completely after installing / removing mods, then restarting the game, you are forcing it to write the data to the harddrive correctly.  The ingame 'reload' doesn't work as well as it should, and causes crashes when mods aren't removed/updated correctly.  

This may not solve your problems, but as a troubleshoot checklist, it may help others help you. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> 

If you're still having problems, please make sure when you post next you include the Banished version you are running (it's on the Menu screen, down the bottom with the yellow writing).  - Please note, I do have a beta version (available through Steam), so we may have different numbers, that's ok, we just need to know what you're running. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_05/592cb31d01467_banishedversiondetails.thumb.jpg.0c48b4d9a911a268eda9938f425eced8.jpg[/img]