BlackLiquid Forums
Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Ideas (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Dolbadarn - 04-02-2018

"
<i style="color:#3a3a3a;">No doubt you've discovered that loyalty is no longer the currency of the realm, as your father believes."

"Then what is?"

"...I'm afraid currency, is the currency of the realm.</i>"

<font color="#3a3a3a">Not sure if this idea has already been suggested but would it be possible with modifications to the scripting for merchants to make a mod whereby they only accept Gold Guilder, Silver Pfennig, Gems or another form of currency for trading? This would of course make the game far more challenging for experienced players and would generate a focus for established towns on the production of currency for trade.</font>

<font color="#3a3a3a">I currently feel that although the production of guilder and pfennig is a nice addition to <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> it's virtually useless as it's a mid-late game item that is completely undervalued at the trading post.</font>

Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Kralyerg - 04-02-2018

It's not possible to set Traders to only accept certain specific resources.  But it is possible to only have them accept only certain flagged categories of resources.

So, we can't say "only accept Gold Guilders" but we can say "only accept things that fall into the Precious resource category".  That includes Guilders, Pfennigs, Polished Gemstones, Pearls, Arrowheads, Native Artifacts (in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, there are other options in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> and other mods).

So, to answer your question... sort of?

Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Dolbadarn - 04-03-2018

Hi Kralyerg thank you for the reply,

Soooo taking into account what you have said in the above post could a new category called "currency" be created and coinage (guilder/pfennig) only be reassigned to it?

I'm assuming the resource category "precious items" was newly created for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mod as it doesn't feature in vanilla?

Or does the game not allow for the creation of any more resource categories, so to speak...

I know I could probably find the answer to these questions myself with a dabble in the mod-kit but I'm lazy and it's easier to ask yourself given your vast experience of modding the game.

Thanks again.

Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Vrayna - 04-03-2018

Well, the last Banished patch added a bunch of categories, but I think they all got used up for all the random stuff <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> adds to the game (SO many things were stuffed into the same few categories in the previous versions of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. It was terrifying!)

Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Jaamesy - 07-27-2018

I know this thread is a little bit old, but I just wanted to say that I think this concept would be really interesting and would add a level of difficulty to the game. 

Is this something that would be used as a standalone mod as and when someone wanted to use it, or could it be included and tied to the "starting conditions" where people can decide from there whether to use it or not? 

There could also be a building that could convert resources into guilder but the exchange ratio is set in a way to remove how overpowered some resources are in value (such as charcoal and firewood). It could require more of those items in exchange for guilder so it effectively lowers the value of that good indirectly when the guilder is used at the trading post for the merchants if that makes sense? Meaning that it would be less profitable to follow the typical "buy logs, sell firewood or charcoal" strategy. 

Currency Is The Currency Of The Realm - Goblin Girl - 07-28-2018

The problem, Jaamesy, is that all the categories are spoken for.  An individual modder could take the base game and create their own category, but if it was different than any of the ones used by all the other modders, you'd be stuck never playing anything but your own mods.  It's true that the Blackliquid modders and the WoB modders don't do everything exactly the same.  But they've largely worked together to keep the game from breaking.