BlackLiquid Forums
Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Questions, Help & Support (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish (/showthread.php?tid=184)

Pages: 1 2

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - lmccnn - 09-12-2018

Banished 1.07 + MM8.01, no other mods (ever), fresh game

My 11x11 cotton plantations (tried normal "crop" as well) are yielding about 65 per season. My tobacco plantations are closer to the expected norms (700 last season)

My farmers are 5-star happy, educated, using steel tools, live right next to the plantation with a barn. 

This isn't just one cotton plantation, it's all of them. I've tried resting them for a year, deleting/recreating them, adding a second farmer, enabling/disabling "pickup" - no changes always about 65ish

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2018_09/mm_cotton.png.a8d5e9469b29a4dc964a528a83825ff2.png" data-fileid="3118">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2018_09/mm_cotton.thumb.png.0b1542024d4dfe9e8d77309de8bd1534.png[/img]</a>

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - Ketchup - 09-12-2018

cotton has been adjusted to a reasonably numbers. it appeared in the past with the old numbers, with 1 field of cotton 15x15 , just 1 year of production, you could get enough coats for 58 game years population. that was making no sense. same with flax.

or we could reduce the numbers of cotton crops, or we could ask to take 10X more cotton to make 1 cloth. we decided to go that way.

Quote:
1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

cotton has been adjusted to a reasonably numbers. it appeared in the past with the old numbers, with 1 field of cotton 15x15 , just 1 year of production, you could get enough coats for 58 game years population. that was making no sense. same with flax.

or we could reduce the numbers of cotton crops, or we could ask to take 10X more cotton to make 1 cloth. we decided to go that way.

Thanks for the fast follow-up and wonderful work on Banished. I looked around in-game at my other tailoring production inputs (wool from sheep, leather from pens/hunters, feathers from chickens, etc.) and those generally align with cotton's 11x11 output, so from that perspective I get it. 

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - Ketchup - 09-12-2018

58 cotton on a crop in progress. how many you've got at the end of the clearing ? around 80 ?

so you make how many cloths ? 8 cloths?  and with these 80 cloths how many coat you did ? 8 coat ? for a 11x11 x1year ?

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - estherhb - 09-12-2018

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2018_09/sad.jpg.18d1806f878df79e62f5df46ceb61a71.jpg[/img]

Quote:
5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

58 cotton on a crop in progress. how many you've got at the end of the clearing ? around 80 ?

so you make how many cloths ? 8 cloths?  and with these 80 cloths how many coat you did ? 8 coat ? for a 11x11 x1year ?

My end of year yield is 60-65ish. As I said above, the changes in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> 8.01 to cotton production (and other tailoring production sources) look aligned and relatively balanced: I get the change and am not complaining at all about the 11x11 or other outputs (and based on your first reply, I also removed the 'bug' tag from this post).

Thank you for your work I'm really enjoying Banished + <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> 

PS - I'm looking around these forums and realize I probably started this thread in the wrong sub-group but anyway I thought I would add one thing: the 2x2 Reed Farm (dockset theme) generates about 500 per season which doesn't seem balanced with the other production numbers mentioned here.

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - Ketchup - 09-13-2018

i agree reeds farms need to be balanced

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - estherhb - 09-13-2018

The Dock Set, of which the Reed Farm is a part, was designed to let people build almost complete towns on maps that have a huge amount of water and very little land for mines, crops, pastures and forests.  The Reed Farm is critical to that effort. The reeds are needed to make Survival Coats, Rope and most importantly Firebundles.  Before you recommend that any of the buildings in the Dock Set are "rebalanced", you need to try using them on a Waterworld map.

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - estherhb - 09-13-2018

Quote:
22 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I'm trying to figure out why a field of cotton should produce so little cotton.  An 11x11 crop field with one educated farmer (mild climate) usually produces 847 items worth 1 each.  Since cotton is worth 2 each, I can understand reducing the output by half (423); this is similar to the fact that the number of herbs produced as a crop is reduced since they are worth 4 each.

In reality and historically, Cotton is a a cash crop - one that is grown to make a profit and not just grown to provide resources for your own textile industry. Anything not used for producing textiles would be sold at a trading post. Seems a waste of land and human resources to grow cotton if fields only produce 80 cotton a year worth 160.  

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish - lmccnn - 09-13-2018

Quote:
5 hours ago, estherhb said:

The Dock Set, of which the Reed Farm is a part, was designed to let people build almost complete towns on maps that have a huge amount of water and very little land for mines, crops, pastures and forests.  The Reed Farm is critical to that effort. The reeds are needed to make Survival Coats, Rope and most importantly Firebundles.  Before you recommend that any of the buildings in the Dock Set are "rebalanced", you need to try using them on a Waterworld map.

I took your suggestion and started a WaterWorld map. 

Year 10 and I have the production chain Reed Farms -> Ropers -> Trader and with each rope trading for 35 a piece I don't have any pressure or rush to develop other production chains. I'm continuing to play WaterWorld and basically outfitting my town with all the goodies from these Reed Farms because for 2x4 they produce so much so fast.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="3121" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2018_09/ww_reed.png.65bb6d74c3c39bdefbaa245b844b8ad5.png">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2018_09/ww_reed.thumb.png.eb71d603da69e24fa3e946481bef81d8.png[/img]</a>