BlackLiquid Forums
Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Colonial Charter Discussion (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods (/showthread.php?tid=1708)

Pages: 1 2

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - ShockPuppet - 11-27-2016

Banished is no triple A title, we know, but we don't mind. It's a wonderful game. So I was asked why we make Colonial Charter and the answer is, because of you.

We've sunk thousands of hours into creating <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. Even we make time to fit it into our lives as best we can, which can be difficult as we have many commitments.

The combination of being in a team with great people, having a great community around, and enjoying research and mod development is what keeps us motivated. 

Producing the New Frontier mod felt like the next level for me personally. I could see that our original vision was coming to fruition. With The Forge Awakens we refined what we had and continued to build on the mod.

As I mentioned, it's a huge amount of work. I don't know how to describe it exactly, other than saying 1.6 has some 40,000 files inside it. To manage it all we had to learn how to use Github, it's a team code development system. It's helped us out a great deal.

I want to personally thank those of you who donated. It really really helps. I also want to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas. I know that's politically incorrect, so if you don't celebrate Christmas, I just generally wish you all the very best. I hope you have some nice people nearby and you get to eat nice things - whether you celebrate or not.

So, to answer the question of why we make <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, in closing I'd like to say it's because of you and people like you. If you weren't here, we wouldn't be either.

So thank you and take care [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - rejectedegg - 11-27-2016

I want to take this time to THANK YOU!  This is meant for every member of BL also [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  <3 You all!

If it wasn't for all of you, I wouldn't still be playing Banished.  You all have given the game something to get excited over.  

I personally think Luke should just hand the game files over to you or share them with you , at the very least, so you can expand it further. 

And he could still partake in it so he gets a cut of the profits.  Like a joint deal between BL and him.

I say this because... I personally don't think Banished would have made it as far as it has if it wasn't for BL.

Sure there are some other good modders out there that aren't or weren't part of the BL team.  (Some of them have now become part of the BL team)

But for me, BL is what brought life to this game.  

I am Disabled and live on a little over $700 (USD) a month.  

I intend to Donate but have been waiting to do so, because when I do Donate I want it to be a $50 - $100 (USD) type of Donation.

Why that much?  Because I feel you all deserve it for all the great things you have put into your Mods/Banished Expansions. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> 

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - WatersMoon110 - 11-27-2016

The Black Liquid team is made up of people who are amazingly talented, astoundingly dedicated, and wonderfully kind. And all the fans here are really great too! I felt lost and sad when the forums were down. *grin* People (t)here tend to be intelligent, interesting, and polite. I cannot think of a nicer community on the internet. 

Quote:
15 minutes ago, rejectedegg said:

If it wasn't for all of you, I wouldn't still be playing Banished.  You all have given the game something to get excited over.  

I personally think Like should just hand the game files over to you or share them with you , at the very least, so you can expand it further. 

And he could still partake in it so he gets a cut of the profits.  Like a joint deal between BL and him.

I say this, because I personally don't think Banished would have made it as far as it has if it wasn't for BL.

Sure there are some other good modders out there that aren't or weren't part of the BL team.  (Some of them have now become part of the BL team)

But for me, BL is what brought life to this game. 

I was playing Banished with no mods the other day, to get some of the achievements. I kept running into "oh now I can add that building...no wait, this is the vanilla game" issues. (This lasted for a whole couple of hours before I couldn't stand it anymore.) Without <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>, the game doesn't have the same draw. I need all the new trees and animals and buildings.

Quote:
2 minutes ago, WatersMoon110 said:

The Black Liquid team is made up of people who are amazingly talented, astoundingly dedicated, and wonderfully kind. And all the fans here are really great too! I felt lost and sad when the forums were down. *grin* People (t)here tend to be intelligent, interesting, and polite. I cannot think of a nicer community on the internet. 

I was playing Banished with no mods the other day, to get some of the achievements. I kept running into "oh now I can add that building...no wait, this is the vanilla game" issues. (This lasted for a whole couple of hours before I couldn't stand it anymore.) Without <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>, the game doesn't have the same draw. I need all the new trees and animals and buildings.

I agree with you on your first statement 100%.

And yes I know what you are talking about on the 2nd part you spoke of.

I too, thought I would try to get some of the achievements done, because I am a Completionalist.  But after about 30 minutes of Vanilla I got bored , almost fell asleep and I deleted the map and quickly put all my mods back in  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Then it was GAME ON BABY!  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - Kralyerg - 11-27-2016

Vanilla banished just makes me sad. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Quote:
1 minute ago, Kralyerg said:

Vanilla banished just makes me sad. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

I would give you a Like for this , but I seem to have already used up my 20 Likes for today.

Will give it a Like tomorrow [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - elemental - 11-29-2016

Quote:
On 28/11/2016 at 1:14 PM, Kralyerg said:

Well, having a million likes must make you happy. It seems like only a few hours ago you had less than... well... less than a certain puppet with shocking imperial delusions. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/cool.png[/img]/emoticons/cool@2x.png 2x" title="B|" width="20" />

But I agree. Vanilla Banished isn't very much fun, or at least it doesn't really hold my attention. Modding in general and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> in particular was the reason I bought Banished. Luke has a lot to thank you for. (you, and all the other talented modders too)

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - DesoPL - 12-05-2016

[Image: rO6juwu.jpg]

I have nothing else to say sadly.

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - AzemOcram - 12-06-2016

Thank you for making such high quality and beautiful content! At one point I aspired to be like you until I learned how hard it was

Why we make Colonial Charter and Mods - KevinTheCynic - 12-07-2016

I'm one of those people who likes the town building genre but gets a bit annoyed at having to meet game goals to proceed. As much as I enjoyed/still enjoy Sim City, Cities XL, Cities XXL and Cities: Skylines, they all suffer from this concept - reach a certain milestone before new buildings/facilities/resources get unlocked.

Banished was almost a dream come true because it did not have those restrictions in place, I played it for a while but because I got into the game some time after it was released, mods had started to appear. I'm not one who really cares about the achievements that are so popular these days in games and game providers like Steam, frankly the achievements seem to be completely pointless to me. So when it comes to having the achievements or having the mods, the mods win every time... every... single... time!

I had already been using mods very early in my game time with Banished and then I discovered Colonial Charter. More buildings, more crops, more animals, more decorations. It was wonderful. Then I found the Fountain Mod, New Medieval Town, Lots Of Seeds, Small Village, Rowhouses and more so I could get a much greater variety and the diversity of buildings I wanted. I now have a few mods that are in every town I start, for me there is no choice, they are "must have" mods.

I don't have a single achievement listed for Banished, but I got a lot of mods and Colonial Charter is the core around which every other mod revolves!