BlackLiquid Forums
Edible Insects - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Ideas (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Edible Insects (/showthread.php?tid=1684)

Pages: 1 2

Edible Insects - Feneris - 11-27-2016

So this idea is a bit out there and is probably not something people really want, but I thought it might be interesting from a role-playing perspective.

So, the truth of the matter is that insects are edible and people do eat them voluntarily when they are not starving. We already have silk worm cultivation and we can already eat the silk worms themselves. Why not make it a more mainstream choice.

My idea would be for a building called an "insect farm" which is basically a shed where they are raising insects in boxes or crates. Possible products could be crickets, grubs, and beetles. Just as a basic choice. This would really be for nothing more than flavor, though it would be useful to have when the cold winter winds start blowing and your people need something new to eat. They would also be much cheaper option than the silkworms in that they don't require mulberry leaves.

Edible Insects - ShockPuppet - 11-27-2016

Ive wanted this for a while. 

Actually i also wanted a bird park - they would eat silkworms and insects.

Edible Insects - WatersMoon110 - 11-27-2016

I like the idea of an insect farm, even if I don't want to eat bugs IRL.

Quote:
26 minutes ago, ShockPuppet said:

Can buildings make their own noises? A bird park would be a little strange if it was totally silent. I would still love it, but bird song would make it even better.

Would it produce eggs and/or feathers? Or just generate happiness?

Quote:
51 minutes ago, WatersMoon110 said:

I like the idea of an insect farm, even if I don't want to eat bugs IRL.

Can buildings make their own noises? A bird park would be a little strange if it was totally silent. I would still love it, but bird song would make it even better.

Would it produce eggs and/or feathers? Or just generate happiness?

I think its possible to add sounds yes. I did it with churches once. The issue is, the sound plays regularly, once a minute or so. The occasional bird chirp would be far less annoying than those church bells i tested though, so I would say yes the sound would be added to the bird park.

Edible Insects - Feneris - 11-27-2016

Now that is an aspect I didn't consider. Though not all birds eat insects I should point out.

Edible Insects - WatersMoon110 - 11-27-2016

Birds could also eat sunflower seeds or the wild seeds (are those from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or just <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>?).

Quote:
36 minutes ago, WatersMoon110 said:

Birds could also eat sunflower seeds or the wild seeds (are those from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or just <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr>?).

They're <abbr title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr> [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Edible Insects - Necora - 11-28-2016

Ha a new luxury item... chocolate covered ants and caramel coated grub lolly pops!

Edible Insects - cainacol12 - 11-28-2016

Quote:
21 hours ago, ShockPuppet said:

Ive wanted this for a while. 

A bird park would be so awesome. 

Edible Insects - rejectedegg - 11-29-2016

The bird park I am good with.

The Insect building .... well 

As long as it doesn't become a prerequisite for another building is OK.

As long as I don't have to see my people eat the insects [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]/emoticons/unsure@2x.png 2x" title=":/" width="20" />, I am OK

As long as I am given a choice to build it or not, then I am good with it.