BlackLiquid Forums
Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Colonial Charter Discussion (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 (/showthread.php?tid=1559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - ShockPuppet - 01-02-2017

Quote:
40 minutes ago, elemental said:

So an F variant with no sign is out of the question? That's a pity because the signs really detract from the realism for me. I'm not sure why they all need to be visually distinct from each other. If you don't know which one is which all you need to do is click on them.

Other than removing them, help me think of a way of visually conveying differences between them [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - KevinTheCynic - 01-02-2017

Quote:
18 minutes ago, ShockPuppet said:

Other than removing them, help me think of a way of visually conveying differences between them [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Perhaps you could do the signs something like the shop signs that medieval guilds used? They were typically something simple but usually conveyed what guild they belonged to (although they aren't always obvious to us in the modern world!). And medieval shops often had signs that were able to be understood visually so that anybody who was unable to read could understand them.

There's some examples on the following links: -

http://www.electrummagazine.com/2012/10/medieval-guild-signs-and-emblem-traditions-zunftzeichen/

https://gallivance.net/2014/10/25/rothenburgs-medieval-high-street-shop-signs-as-street-art/

Quote:
5 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

Perhaps you could do the signs something like the shop signs that medieval guilds used?

Actually I was just thinking about that sort of thing.

For me, it's a time thing. If I do make, for example, some carved wooden or iron wrought shapes... It'd take ages and there's already heaps to work on. Plus it will increase the poly count.

Actually there's another solution I've just realised that should let me get a similar result faster. I'll have an attempt and show results later.

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - stiles - 01-02-2017

Quote:
2 hours ago, Kralyerg said:

It's part of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. It's in 1.62, i thought it was in 1.61.

Why are you not using 1.62?

hmm i don't know. maybe i thought it was a minor update or i just missed it with the site switch. it cAMe out after the megamod i take it?

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - QueryEverything - 01-02-2017

I was simply thinking a signpost on a stick.  Haha.

Simply put one of the short signposts pole from the decorations, put the sign that is on the roof, on the pole, tuck it up into the front left corner of the building, tucked snug against it, on an angle inwards, 45o so you can see it as you're walking into the building.

It's nothing too fancy, you already have the model resources, and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="2413" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/2413-elemental/">@elemental</a> can have a naked roof [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" /> 

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - Kralyerg - 01-02-2017

Quote:
1 minute ago, stiles said:

it cAMe out after the megamod i take it?

No, 1.62 was out way before work was started in <abbr title="MegaMod">MM</abbr> at all.

But looking back at the changelogs, the Warehouses were put in 1.60. So next time you load up the game, go into the storage toolbar and find the specialized warehouse button.

Please don't laugh at my non-skills ... 

The one with all the signs, i've put in to hang under the eaves of the roof... you may laugh at that attempt [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/586b094e3cdd5_AO3Z0acr.thumb.jpg.52884d9f50dc8fd017fabd3e2ca73641.jpg[/img]

Quote:
19 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

my non-skills

It's fine for mock ups.

18 years ago I was making an application to pass my class on 3rd and 4th generation programming languages. Originally I did a mock-up of the GUI without any of the code, just to get the layout right. I spent months coding it. The day to submit comes, wouldn't you know, I handed in the mock up by mistake. 

Mock ups are no laughing matter [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

At least, not that day.

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1 - elemental - 01-02-2017

Quote:
3 hours ago, ShockPuppet said:

Do you really need to visually differentiate them? That's my question. If they all look the same and you need to know which one is which then it's easy enough to just click on them. If you want to know how much is in them you need to click on them anyway. Some people like signs on everything but others don't. So why not offer both? In other words fruit with sign, fruit with no sign, protein with sign, protein with no sign, etc. You already have a model that doesn't have a sign so I'm guessing the hard work is done, it would just need coding to add in the sign-free F variants.

The other option is to make the signs as separate optional add-ons that the player can build or not build, but that would be more work.

Quote:
56 minutes ago, ShockPuppet said:

It's fine for mock ups.

18 years ago I was making an application to pass my class on 3rd and 4th generation programming languages. Originally I did a mock-up of the GUI without any of the code, just to get the layout right. I spent months coding it. The day to submit comes, wouldn't you know, I handed in the mock up by mistake. 

Mock ups are no laughing matter [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

At least, not that day.

My innards retracted ...  I can only imagine how you felt when you realised.  What an achievement though, if you passed [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />