BlackLiquid Forums
All the fishes?!!!! - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Ideas (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: All the fishes?!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=1472)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

All the fishes?!!!! - Feneris - 12-18-2016

Quote:
24 minutes ago, Horser01 said:

Every time I see a request for rabbits, they assume we would need a new resource - fur. Why not just make the rabbits drop leather? The same as cows or deer? I personally would love to see a tiny "hutch" building (Discrepancy's Beehive with a remodeled front for example), that produces rabbit meat and has a small chance of producing a leather. It takes 10 - 20 rabbit furs to make a coat, so the hutch would produce much less leather than a cow. Making it a building would also mean you wouldn't have to animate any new animals. To me it's about variety and realism. Not necessarily about new chains.

I agree with that sentiment entirely. And if in the future, fur is finally introduced as a resource, it would be a simple matter to change it.

(I actually hate long and complicated production chains. Overwhelming diversity of resources for the win.)

All the fishes?!!!! - KevinTheCynic - 12-19-2016

I too believe that there is a place (and maybe even elevate that to a "need" rather than just a "want")  for fur in Banished. People in the period of the European colonization of the Americas were just as likely to be wearing clothes made of furs as they were to have clothes made from leather, probably more likely due to the more involved process to make leather.

All the fishes?!!!! - QueryEverything - 12-19-2016

I love this topic [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  

What about a small "Farm" (think the animal pens but the size of the "Creamery" or "Bee Hive/Apiary" we have in game already.

Use a drop menu that works like other resource buildings, and choose which animal you want to "Farm" (the list is generated from what animals you have stock of already), and it pops out the selected items.

Or have it set to random (alas Apiary) and who knows what resources you end up with.

I have no idea how it would be achieved, but the art could be based on a small farm, with stationary beasts. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

All the fishes?!!!! - Feneris - 12-19-2016

Quote:
17 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

I love this topic [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  

What about a small "Farm" (think the animal pens but the size of the "Creamery" or "Bee Hive/Apiary" we have in game already.

Use a drop menu that works like other resource buildings, and choose which animal you want to "Farm" (the list is generated from what animals you have stock of already), and it pops out the selected items.

Or have it set to random (alas Apiary) and who knows what resources you end up with.

I have no idea how it would be achieved, but the art could be based on a small farm, with stationary beasts. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Well, I did suggest a fur farm way back when when <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> was first released. They farm mink and foxes after all.

All the fishes?!!!! - Horser01 - 12-20-2016

Quote:
On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 0:33 AM, KevinTheCynic said:

I too believe that there is a place (and maybe even elevate that to a "need" rather than just a "want")  for fur in Banished. People in the period of the European colonization of the Americas were just as likely to be wearing clothes made of furs as they were to have clothes made from leather, probably more likely due to the more involved process to make leather.

It's not that I wouldn't like to see fur. It's that if I had to choose between having rabbits with no fur or not having them because there IS fur, I'd rather have the animal. My understanding is that they haven't been added because of the headache of adding in the new fur resources, as well as the animated animals. There was an issue with getting feathers with leather and they don't want a repeat, plus all the tweaking to the tailor and stuff. If they gave us the rabbits in a building I'd be happy cause I could pretend. If they added fur later by tweaking the rabbit resources, so much the better! After all, domestic rabbits were originally bred out of wild hares that were captured live and constrained. It wouldn't be out of the time period to have hutches.

P.S. - Interesting fact, if you use the modern way of tanning, it takes more work to leave the fur on! Because you have to soak the hide and when you take it out to stretch the hide, the fur 'slips' or falls out, so you have to be really careful. The original way, it took more work to make leather, because they scraped the fur off with knives. Then they simply rubbed the fur with brains, worked it (stretching), and smoked it.

All the fishes?!!!! - QueryEverything - 12-27-2016

I have the little "Fly Fisher" mod and it's fabulous.  (I have seen others use a lobster one, but I can't find that, so far!)

I would love to see a Yabby mod!  

Here, where we are in Victoria (Australia), people go to the local river (the Yarra River) and catch Yabbies & in the large river (the Murray River) we normally would catch Murray Cod.

Some links:
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/fishing-locations/inland-angling-guide/yarra/yarra-angling-waters

Quote:

Contains some small brown trout, river blackfish to 280 g, roach to 300 g, small spiny freshwater crayfish, shorthead lamprey ammocoetes, southern pygmy perch, and mountain galaxias.

Contains some brown trout to 330 g, redfin, short-finned eel, river blackfish, roach and European carp. Other species recorded in the creek are goldfish, mountain galaxias, southern pygmy perch, Australian smelt, and climbing galaxias. It provides some good fishing for those with local knowledge.

http://www.weekendnotes.com/yabby-fishing/

Quote:

To catch yabbies you'll need about three things: a yabby trap<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, verdana, geneva, helvetica, sans-serif;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:left;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);float:none;">, some string, and a meat bone. You can purchase traps online, or at most fishing supply stores, and everything else can be found at your local supermarket. Tie and the position the meat inside the trap, and use the string to throw the trap into the water. Once you've tied the string to a nearby branch it is time to wait.  </span>

----

There is an easier way of catching yabbies, but you'll have to hang around for it. Forgo the yabby traps, and instead just tie a piece of meat to some string. Submerge the meat underwater, and then wait for the yabbies to come biting. Pull out the meat and catch any yabbies in the net. It might not be as productive as using a yabby trap, but it is definitely still fun. 

https://www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au/blog/2015/05/15/guide_to_fishing_on_echucas_murray

Quote:

Fish in the Murray River:

<p style="margin:0px 0px;color:rgb(64,64,65);font-family:'brandon-grotesque', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:18px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">
The Murray River at Echuca is brimming with different types of fish like Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, and less common to the area are Redfin

All the fishes?!!!! - estherhb - 12-27-2016

RE FEATHERS: I used to never accept a map that had chickens because they don't produce leather. Then along came Ducks, producing feathers whether I liked it or not.  Fortunately, the tailors learned to make Survival Coats using Feathers and Reeds. At first I hated those - I knew they had to look stupid. But then I learned that the tailors in my town had learned the secret of combining those two ingredients in a way to make soft, luxurious coats that could be mistaken for angora!  Now, if I start with feathered birds, I also build a Reed Farm and a Dock Workshop and make Survival Coats.

RE FISHING:  There already are several types of fishing. The Tidal Pool and Dock Water Scavenger are "shore docks" that gather Oysters, Mussels, Seaweed and Crayfish plus find a Pearl now and then.  The Wharf & Ship is the "whaling vessel" that brings back Whale Meat & Blubber plus Seal Meat and Lobster.  Would be nice to have a pond that could be built where there's no rivers or lakes close by - maybe catch freshwater fish like trout. The other fishing docks could be differentiated by catching different fish (tuna, mackeral, etc.). However remember that each new type of fish becomes another line item at your town hall and traders.  

All the fishes?!!!! - stiles - 12-27-2016

you can turn the ducks off. i havent seen high quality survival coats like angora,but they do make a good trade item to use up the chicken feathers for sure.

All the fishes?!!!! - KevinTheCynic - 12-28-2016

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6-estherhb/">@estherhb</a> Speaking of ponds, there is a pond included in Red Ketchup's NMT mod. It operates exactly like the fishing dock (employs same number of workers, provides "fish" resource). Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of or was it something more expansive?

All the fishes?!!!! - estherhb - 12-28-2016

I forgot about that. That is a nice pond. I was thinking of something a little smaller with no fence.